SPAM - Routing Restrictions - Relay mail

SPAM - Routing Restrictions - Relay mail

Post by Robert Shackelfor » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Goal: Configure Exchange 5.5 SP2 to only allow E-mail to and from my users,
and disallow any mail to be forwarded via my server (as a relay point) to
other domains.

2ND Goal:  Does anyone know how to filter the logs to find if the server is
routing mail to other domains?

With SP2 you can configuring relay restrictions within the Internet Mail
Service.  But the options are confusing and do not appear to address my goal
(see Option Description).

Option

Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate -- Messages sent from hosts
and clients with valid logon information are relayed (BUT HOW DOES THIS
AFFECT INCOMING MAIL?).

Hosts and clients with these IP addresses -- Messages sent from the
specified IP addresses are relayed (WHO WANTS TO SPECIFY IP ADDRESS'S??).

Hosts and clients with these internal addresses -- Messages sent by hosts
and clients that connect to the specified IP address on the Microsoft
Exchange Server computer are relayed.Allows multi-homed servers to restrict
relaying based on the IP address to which the client connects. If you choose
this option, you must disable IP forwarding on the Networking property pages
in Control Panel.

SPAM - Routing Restrictions - Relay mail

Post by Ron Spadafora - MC » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 13 May 1999 16:19:55 -0700, "Robert Shackelford"

>Goal: Configure Exchange 5.5 SP2 to only allow E-mail to and from my users,
>and disallow any mail to be forwarded via my server (as a relay point) to
>other domains.

>2ND Goal:  Does anyone know how to filter the logs to find if the server is
>routing mail to other domains?

>With SP2 you can configuring relay restrictions within the Internet Mail
>Service.  But the options are confusing and do not appear to address my goal
>(see Option Description).

>Option

>Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate -- Messages sent from hosts
>and clients with valid logon information are relayed (BUT HOW DOES THIS
>AFFECT INCOMING MAIL?).

If you are not relaying for other internal servers then this is the
choice you want.  If a message is received & is to be delivered
locally, it is not effected by this rule since it's not to be relayed.

Quote:

>Hosts and clients with these IP addresses -- Messages sent from the
>specified IP addresses are relayed (WHO WANTS TO SPECIFY IP ADDRESS'S??).

It's easier for me to configure this setting, since we support other
organizations on our network from untrusted NT domains, UNIX
platforms, etc.  Just an example of why someone may choose this
option.

Quote:

>Hosts and clients with these internal addresses -- Messages sent by hosts
>and clients that connect to the specified IP address on the Microsoft
>Exchange Server computer are relayed.Allows multi-homed servers to restrict
>relaying based on the IP address to which the client connects. If you choose
>this option, you must disable IP forwarding on the Networking property pages
>in Control Panel.

Ronald J. Spadafora, Jr.
MCP, MCP +I, MCSE, MCSE +I

SPAM - Routing Restrictions - Relay mail

Post by K.Hagd.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Goal: Configure Exchange 5.5 SP2 to only allow E-mail to and from my
users,
> and disallow any mail to be forwarded via my server (as a relay

point) toI have a similar problem with the routing restrictions in
exchange server 5.5 SP2.

What does SP2 add on routing restrictions that SP1 doesn't have? will
there be a SP3 that is predefined to stop spam and easier to configure
and test?

I have a network with dial-in connections and I have selected "hosts
and clients that successfully authenticate" (for the dial-in
connection) and "Hosts and clients with these IP-adresses" and my
network adresses.

The clients can't mail to outside servers like hotmail.com. They get
the error message:
"Det finns ingen tillg?nglig ?verf?ringstj?nst f?r leverans till den
h?r mottagaren." - There is no availible delivery service for
delivering to this receiver.

What have I forgotten?

Quote:> other domains.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>> Goal: Configure Exchange 5.5 SP2 to only allow E-mail to and from my
>users,
>> and disallow any mail to be forwarded via my server (as a relay
>point) toI have a similar problem with the routing restrictions in
>exchange server 5.5 SP2.

>What does SP2 add on routing restrictions that SP1 doesn't have?

Nothing.

Quote:>will
>there be a SP3

Yes.

Quote:>that is predefined to stop spam

SP3 won't alter any of the settings.

Quote:>and easier to configure
>and test?

No, there are no changes. But what's so difficult about configuring
the reoutng restrictions now?

Quote:>I have a network with dial-in connections and I have selected "hosts
>and clients that successfully authenticate" (for the dial-in
>connection) and "Hosts and clients with these IP-adresses" and my
>network adresses.

Remove the IP address restrictions. They're not adding much, if
anything, to the rstrictions.

Quote:>The clients can't mail to outside servers like hotmail.com. They get
>the error message:
>"Det finns ingen tillg?nglig ?verf?ringstj?nst f?r leverans till den
>h?r mottagaren." - There is no availible delivery service for
>delivering to this receiver.

This is a client problem, not a server problem. I don't believe the
routing restrictions have anything to do with your problem, unless
your clients cannot authenticate with the SMTP server.

What services are present in the MAPI client profiles? Are they using
the Internet Mail service or the Microsoft Exchange Server service?

Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP