Routing problem in Exchange 2k

Post by Peter Johnsso » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:40:24

Do anyone, know how to inactivate the internal routing in Exchange 2k. I
need to find a way to force all messages to use the DNS instead of using the
internal routing in AD.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 09:54:34

>Do anyone, know how to inactivate the internal routing in Exchange 2k. I
>need to find a way to force all messages to use the DNS instead of using the
>internal routing in AD.

What are you trying to do? I suppose you could put each server into
its own routing group and create SMTP connectors (not Routing Group
Connectors) between the Routing Groups, but that's really ugly.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Problem re-routing SMTP from Exch 5.5 to Exch 2K

Hi all,

Here's the situation:

We've had an Exchange 5.5 server (SP4) running on an NT4 (SP6) box for a
number of years. Several months ago we added a new Exchange 2K (SP3) server
running on a Windows 2K (SP3) box to the same site. The plan was to migrate
everything to the new 2K server so we could de-commission the 5.5 server. I
followed all the relevant knowledge base articles, relying in particular on
Q316886: How to migrate from Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Server.
After LOTS of problems getting our public folders replicated to the 2K
server (long story, but it finally worked out well in the end), I was
finally ready to go through the final phases of the migration and
de-commission the 5.5 server. This basically involves re-routing Internet
e-mail to the 2K server, which up until this point has been handled by the
5.5 server.

The first step was a simple change on our firewall to re-direct incoming
traffic on the SMTP port (25) to the IP address of our Exchange 2K server
instead of to the 5.5 server's IP. No problems here and we are still able to
receive e-mail from outside our network.

The second step is where the problem arises. After performing the following
(as per Q316886):

1. Removed the SMTP Address Space from the Internet Mail Connector on the
5.5 server.
2. Changed the routing calculation server in Site Addressing from the 5.5
server to the 2K server.
3. Recalculated routing.

We can no longer send out e-mails to the internet. As soon as I try to send
an e-mail to an external address I get an NDR as follows (names changed to
protect the innocent):

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.