priv.edb growing too fast why?

Post by Marty Peterso » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 06:13:16

Folks,

My priv.edb file has gone from 6 GB to 15 GB overnight.  What are things
that I can look for to find out why?  I looked at the mailbox resources and
see that my largest mailbox is just over 100MB, and after totalling up the
mailboxes, I only get about 7 GB or so.
    The only other thing that I can see is that the IMS mailbox has about
450 MB.  How do I get into this mysterious mailbox?  (This is when I look at
the properties of the Private Information Store's Mailbox Resources tab, it
isn't listed under the mailbox resources "subfolder")
    Is there any place else that could be racking up space in the priv.edb?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Marty

priv.edb growing too fast why?

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:00:55

Have you recently restarted your services or have they shut down and
restarted recently at all?  Explorer will not update or report the correct
file sizes of the databases until the services have been shut.

Assuming it really grew overnight and is still growing, you might want to
turn up smtp protocol logging and look for a mail loop.  Inbox rules can
make an internal loop, a possibility as well.  I have found Promodag
extremely useful and quick in spotting loops, because it can be used to
analyse internal as well as external traffic.  It has pre-formatted reports
that have helped me determine which mailboxes have generated the most
traffic in a given time frame.  You could download a working copy at
www.promodag.com.  The eval copy is good for 15 days, which should be enough
time to hunt for a possible loop.

As far as your ims mailbox, the size reported will usually be incorrect
unless you are at the lastest service pack, with all associated hot fixes.
As far as looking inside the ims mailbox, do a search on the Technet DB for
"MDBVU32.EXE".

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator

Quote:> Folks,

> My priv.edb file has gone from 6 GB to 15 GB overnight.  What are things
> that I can look for to find out why?  I looked at the mailbox resources
and
> see that my largest mailbox is just over 100MB, and after totalling up the
> mailboxes, I only get about 7 GB or so.
>     The only other thing that I can see is that the IMS mailbox has about
> 450 MB.  How do I get into this mysterious mailbox?  (This is when I look
at
> the properties of the Private Information Store's Mailbox Resources tab,
it
> isn't listed under the mailbox resources "subfolder")
>     Is there any place else that could be racking up space in the
priv.edb?
> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks,

> --Marty

1. Why is my priv.edb not growing past 4Mb

I installed Exchange 5.5 sp3 and imported 1GB of mail with Outlook to a
mailbox on my server.  I then did a backup overnight and my logs haven't
gone away and my priv.edb is onky 4 Mb in size. Is this normal? If so, why

Please help!

FastEddie Rockwell

Check out our site
http://www.therockwells.net

2. Installing additional site using dial-up link

3. Why is my PRIV.EDB still growing?

4. Managing Distribution Lists by ...

5. PRIV.EDB File keeps growing & growing

6. MDBDATA

7. priv1.edb is growing fast

8. Change Exchange 5.5 Server Name

9. priv.edb getting too big too fast

10. Urgent! Priv.edb size grows abnormally

11. Strange growing of priv.edb (EXC5.5)

12. Priv.EDB Growing Monsterously!!

13. PRIV.EDB grows 1GB a day, and shows no sign of size decrease