Email size restriction problem

Post by Adam O'Callagha » Fri, 24 May 2002 10:52:39

We are running Exchange 2000 Enterprise and wish to stop most people in the
organisation from sending or receiving email larger than 2MB both internally
and externally. A few people need to have a larger restriction.

I have left the 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' -> 'Limit message size to
(KB)' unchecked.
I have applied the 'Global Settings' -> 'Message Delivery' ->properties ->
'Defaults' -> 'Sending message size' -> 'Maximum (KB)' and 'Receiving
message size' -> 'Maximum (KB)' to 2048KB.

I then went to 'Active Directory Users and Computers' and went into each
user that needed the larger message size restriction. I visited the
'Exchange General' tab and the 'Delivery Restrictions' button and changed
the radio button from 'Use default limit' to 'Maximum (KB)' and specified a
larger size eg 5120KB.

The problem now appears....  ALL users (doesn't matter if the user object
has it's own delivery restrictions set) have a 2MB send/receive limit... I
would assume that this should not be the case. What is happening??

Thanks in advance..

Adam O'Callaghan

Email size restriction problem

Post by Neil Hobso » Fri, 24 May 2002 16:31:18

The most restrictive limit is being applied.  I guess you could write a
script to set the 2048k setting on all users who need the lower limit,
thereby making other users exempt.

--
Neil Hobson

Silversands
http://www.silversands.co.uk
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
For Enterprise Systems
For Collaborative Solutions

Quote:> We are running Exchange 2000 Enterprise and wish to stop most people in
the
> organisation from sending or receiving email larger than 2MB both
internally
> and externally. A few people need to have a larger restriction.

> I have left the 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' -> 'Limit message size to
> (KB)' unchecked.
> I have applied the 'Global Settings' -> 'Message Delivery' ->properties ->
> 'Defaults' -> 'Sending message size' -> 'Maximum (KB)' and 'Receiving
> message size' -> 'Maximum (KB)' to 2048KB.

> I then went to 'Active Directory Users and Computers' and went into each
> user that needed the larger message size restriction. I visited the
> 'Exchange General' tab and the 'Delivery Restrictions' button and changed
> the radio button from 'Use default limit' to 'Maximum (KB)' and specified
> larger size eg 5120KB.

> The problem now appears....  ALL users (doesn't matter if the user object
> has it's own delivery restrictions set) have a 2MB send/receive limit... I
> would assume that this should not be the case. What is happening??

> Thanks in advance..

> Adam O'Callaghan

1. Size restriction problem where there's no restriction

We are having a strange problem receiving email with large
attachments eventho we don't have any size restriction on
the server, mailboxes or the firewall.

Any files that are sent over 900K just disappear.  They
never reach the firewall (Astaro),(at least it's not
logged) nor do it reach the mailboxes.

Save sent records are recorded from the sending mail box.

Our ISP only points our mail to the server, they don't
regulate the size of it.  Has anyone seen anything like
this?  Or can make suggestions to help our problem?

2. Is VBScript Any Good?

3. Email Size Restriction...

4. New items not using custom form

5. Email Size Restrictions

6. Groups types and membership

7. Exchange 5.0 -Mailbox restriction size problem...

8. Listserv for Exchange?

9. Custom Distribution List Size Restriction

10. Exchange message size restriction