Priv.edb too big!

Post by Jaso » Thu, 01 May 2003 04:48:44

Hello, my priv.edb file is showing that is over 16GB.
However, the information store never shut down...(weird)

Anyway, I built another exchange server and moved some of
the bigger mailboxes to it, and then deleted from the
first server (with the large priv.edb) a bunch of
emails.  The problem is that my priv.edb is still just as
big!!!  What am I doing incorrectly?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Priv.edb too big!

Post by Andy David [MVP » Thu, 01 May 2003 04:59:45

Are you running Standard or Enterprise version?
Look for events 1216 or 1217 in the app log when you start the info store.

Quote:> Hello, my priv.edb file is showing that is over 16GB.
> However, the information store never shut down...(weird)

> Anyway, I built another exchange server and moved some of
> the bigger mailboxes to it, and then deleted from the
> first server (with the large priv.edb) a bunch of
> emails.  The problem is that my priv.edb is still just as
> big!!!  What am I doing incorrectly?

> THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Priv.edb too big!

Post by Cheri » Thu, 01 May 2003 05:46:30

If you're running the Enterprise version, then you can go
over the 16GB limit without the IS shutting down.  Since
you moved mailboxes and deleted items from the first
server and the priv.edb size hasn't changed, I'd say you
need to do an off-line defrag (using eseutil) to clean it
up.  Exchange databases don't shrink as you remove items,
you have to do an offline defrag to clean it up.

I hope that helps...

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello, my priv.edb file is showing that is over 16GB.
>However, the information store never shut down...(weird)

>Anyway, I built another exchange server and moved some of
>the bigger mailboxes to it, and then deleted from the
>first server (with the large priv.edb) a bunch of
>emails.  The problem is that my priv.edb is still just as
>big!!!  What am I doing incorrectly?

>THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!
>.

Priv.edb too big!

Post by Ron » Thu, 01 May 2003 08:28:46

Quote:> Hello, my priv.edb file is showing that is over 16GB.
> However, the information store never shut down...(weird)

It's not weird at all if you're running Exchange Enterprise edition.

Quote:> Anyway, I built another exchange server and moved some of
> the bigger mailboxes to it, and then deleted from the
> first server (with the large priv.edb) a bunch of
> emails.  The problem is that my priv.edb is still just as
> big!!!  What am I doing incorrectly?

EDB files size don't shrink after deleting tons of mails. You need an
offline defrag to shrink the size. It won't be necessary though. Exchange
will reuse the 'whitespace' before expanding the db.
Quote:> THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

1. Priv.edb too big!!!

Our HDD has maxed out yet again (8Gb) without warning thus
the exchange server "fell over".  Is there anyway of
getting a warning before this situation happens again.

Does anyone know of a way of moving the Private.EDB and
Public.EDB and have exchange point to it other than
performance optimizer, (ours kept crashing on transfering
the file to another drive).

Many thanks in advance for you time on this.

Cheers

2. Exchange DN syntax

3. Priv.edb too big

4. Resource Not Found when trying to post to Newsgroup

5. priv.edb too big

6. Rights in Public Folders

7. Priv.edb too big

8. I'm not receiving any email, please help!

9. priv.edb too big

10. Why priv.edb is bigger then sum of private mailboxes?

11. Help!! Priv.edb too big!

12. Need to move PRIV.EDB to bigger hard disk - How is it done.

13. My priv.edb is anormally big