Creating E-mail account without primary NT account on Exchange Server 5.5

Creating E-mail account without primary NT account on Exchange Server 5.5

Post by denni » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

In my company we want to migrate our old E-mail server (NT 3.51 with
SL-Mail) to a new E-mail Server (NT 4.0 with Exchange Server 5.5).
My conclusion is that every E-mail Account on the Exchange Server 5.5 needs
a Primary NT Account. Is this conclusion right ?
This is not the situation we want. We would like to make E-mail Accounts on
the Exchange Server without a Primary NT account attached, because the users
in our company use different kind of E-mail client software and are in
different Domains. Is it possible to create an E-mail account without a
Primary NT account attached to it ? With SL-mail this is possible.

Many thanks for your reply,

Dennis

Creating E-mail account without primary NT account on Exchange Server 5.5

Post by Neil Whit » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

You can make an NT Group the primary account for a mailbox. However, this
will mean that all members of that NT group will be able to access the
mailbox, and users must have NT accounts that ARE members of the NT Group.
In otherwords - each user must have an NT account in an NT domain to access
an Exchange Mailbox.

Neil

>In my company we want to migrate our old E-mail server (NT 3.51 with
>SL-Mail) to a new E-mail Server (NT 4.0 with Exchange Server 5.5).
>My conclusion is that every E-mail Account on the Exchange Server 5.5 needs
>a Primary NT Account. Is this conclusion right ?
>This is not the situation we want. We would like to make E-mail Accounts on
>the Exchange Server without a Primary NT account attached, because the
users
>in our company use different kind of E-mail client software and are in
>different Domains. Is it possible to create an E-mail account without a
>Primary NT account attached to it ? With SL-mail this is possible.

>Many thanks for your reply,

>Dennis

Creating E-mail account without primary NT account on Exchange Server 5.5

Post by Chris Schar » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>In my company we want to migrate our old E-mail server (NT 3.51 with
>SL-Mail) to a new E-mail Server (NT 4.0 with Exchange Server 5.5).
>My conclusion is that every E-mail Account on the Exchange Server 5.5 needs
>a Primary NT Account. Is this conclusion right ?

Correct.

Quote:>This is not the situation we want. We would like to make E-mail Accounts on
>the Exchange Server without a Primary NT account attached, because the users
>in our company use different kind of E-mail client software and are in
>different Domains.

Exchange can work with multiple e-mail client types and multiple
domains, using primary NT accounts without a problem.

Quote:>Is it possible to create an E-mail account without a
>Primary NT account attached to it ? With SL-mail this is possible.

No. Well you could create it with an NT group instead, but that would
just be silly for personal mailboxxen.

Exchange/ Outlook is an excellent opportunity to standardize you
client software. It's much easier to support 1 or 2 client types than
30, and using the same client type (e.g. Outlook 98) allows you to
leverage the full capabilities of an Exchange server.

The existence of users in multiple domains is a non-issue if the
appropriate trusts are put in place.

HTH
Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>In my company we want to migrate our old E-mail server (NT 3.51 with
>SL-Mail) to a new E-mail Server (NT 4.0 with Exchange Server 5.5).
>My conclusion is that every E-mail Account on the Exchange Server 5.5 needs
>a Primary NT Account. Is this conclusion right ?

This is correct.

Quote:>This is not the situation we want. We would like to make E-mail Accounts on
>the Exchange Server without a Primary NT account attached, because the users
>in our company use different kind of E-mail client software and are in
>different Domains.

Different to what? Are they not using POP3 or IMAP4 protocols? Do
those clients not have the ability to provide credentials to the
server?

The NT Domain issue can be circumvented by creating trusts between the
NT Domains. Or by creating accounts in the local NT Domain (although
this kinda kills the idea of single-logon and creates a administrative
problem).

Quote:>Is it possible to create an E-mail account without a
>Primary NT account attached to it ?

You can use a NT Group Account.

Quote:>With SL-mail this is possible.

Have you considered the use of public folders and IMAP4 or HTTP?

Creating E-mail account without primary NT account on Exchange Server 5.5

Post by Clint Nichol » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

You can create a recipient that is not assigned to an account.  Chose
File/New Custom Recipient and pick your type.

Clint

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>You can create a recipient that is not assigned to an account.  Chose
>File/New Custom Recipient and pick your type.

    Mail for a custom recipient is held on the server only long enough for
it to be delivered to the final address, and cannot be accessed by any
client while within Exchange.  Dennis gave the impression that he wanted to
create a mailbox on the server, to allow access to the mail via the
appropriate client, but without assigning an account or group to the
mailbox.  This can be done, but without a user or group assigned to the
mailbox, nobody can log on and retrieve the mail.

Creating E-mail account without primary NT account on Exchange Server 5.5

Post by John Jacobso » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The mail accounts don't need an NT account. We have a number of mailboxes
set up that do not have NT accounts, and then the mail is redirected to an
internet address. When adding the mailbox it will prompt you for the NT
account, or create from new. Just press cancel.

>You can create a recipient that is not assigned to an account.  Chose
>File/New Custom Recipient and pick your type.

>Clint

>>In my company we want to migrate our old E-mail server (NT 3.51 with
>>SL-Mail) to a new E-mail Server (NT 4.0 with Exchange Server 5.5).
>>My conclusion is that every E-mail Account on the Exchange Server 5.5
needs
>>a Primary NT Account. Is this conclusion right ?
>>This is not the situation we want. We would like to make E-mail Accounts
on
>>the Exchange Server without a Primary NT account attached, because the
>users
>>in our company use different kind of E-mail client software and are in
>>different Domains. Is it possible to create an E-mail account without a
>>Primary NT account attached to it ? With SL-mail this is possible.

>>Many thanks for your reply,

>>Dennis

1. Creating E-mail account without primary NT account on Exchange Server 5.5

In my company we want to migrate our old E-mail server (NT 3.51 with
SL-Mail) to a new E-mail Server (NT 4.0 with Exchange Server 5.5).
My conclusion is that every E-mail Account on the Exchange Server 5.5 needs
a Primary NT Account. Is this conclusion right ?
This is not the situation we want. We would like to make E-mail Accounts on
the Exchange Server without a Primary NT account attached, because the users
in our company use different kind of E-mail client software and are in
different Domains. Is it possible to create an E-mail account without a
Primary NT account attached to it ? With SL-mail this is possible.

Many thanks for your reply,

Dennis

2. Distribution List's

3. Create email account without creating NT account???

4. What is the current Limitation on # of Sites?

5. Creating a Mailbox without the Primary NT Account

6. Exchange Permissions

7. Is it posible ? mailbox without primary nt account

8. Change Windows NT Password

9. E-mail Account without corresponding Windows NT account

10. Create emailbox without creating NT Account

11. Create NT Primary Account with Exchange 5.0 Administrator /Error 317/Error 2245

12. NT Server Event 1016 -Not Primary Windows NT Account

13. Group accounts as Primary Windows NT account