Move users from one 5.5 server to a 5.5 server in a different organization

Move users from one 5.5 server to a 5.5 server in a different organization

Post by Craig Bennet » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:12:09

What would be the best way to move users from one echange 5.5 server to an
exchange 5.5 server in a different company? I am looking at exmerge, but
that does not seem to create the mailboxes on the destination server, and
all the migration information seems to be going from a 5.5 to 2000 server.
Can I use the migration wizard to go from a 5.5 to a 5.5? or is there a
better way?

Thanks

Move users from one 5.5 server to a 5.5 server in a different organization

Post by Lanc » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 04:25:27

Did this before, and what we did was used exmerge to move the data, and
created .csv files to generate the mailboxes.  Not too difficult.  I would
export the directory info from both organizations and import them into
access.  Then run a compare on the Directory names to make sure you don't
have duplicates.  If you do, you'll have to change the directory name of the
duplicate mailbox you are generating.  If you don't, when you run the
exmerge, it will import the wrong person's mail into the wrong person's
mailbox.  Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

> What would be the best way to move users from one echange 5.5 server to an
> exchange 5.5 server in a different company? I am looking at exmerge, but
> that does not seem to create the mailboxes on the destination server, and
> all the migration information seems to be going from a 5.5 to 2000 server.
> Can I use the migration wizard to go from a 5.5 to a 5.5? or is there a
> better way?

> Thanks

Move users from one 5.5 server to a 5.5 server in a different organization

Post by Craig Bennet » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 04:39:17

Sweet...  so far this is the proposed plan of action.

Possible Procedure
1) Prepare target server
a. Export source mailbox list
b. Check for duplicates
c. Import list to target servers
d. Send message to source users on target server to activate accounts

2) Export source mailboxes
a) Disable source mailboxes
b) Run Exmerge to export mailboxes

3) Import mail to target
a) Run Exmerge to import mailboxes

4) Configure Outlook Clients
a) Use NAL to push server changes

>Did this before, and what we did was used exmerge to move the data, and
>created .csv files to generate the mailboxes.  Not too difficult.  I would
>export the directory info from both organizations and import them into
>access.  Then run a compare on the Directory names to make sure you don't
>have duplicates.  If you do, you'll have to change the directory name of the
>duplicate mailbox you are generating.  If you don't, when you run the
>exmerge, it will import the wrong person's mail into the wrong person's
>mailbox.  Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

>> What would be the best way to move users from one echange 5.5 server to an
>> exchange 5.5 server in a different company? I am looking at exmerge, but
>> that does not seem to create the mailboxes on the destination server, and
>> all the migration information seems to be going from a 5.5 to 2000 server.
>> Can I use the migration wizard to go from a 5.5 to a 5.5? or is there a
>> better way?

>> Thanks

Move users from one 5.5 server to a 5.5 server in a different organization

Post by Lanc » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 06:00:29

Sounds like you pretty much got it.  Remember you can have the same multiple
mailboxes with the same directory name, as long as they are in different
containers.  Good luck!