Reinstalling Exchange Server licenses.

Post by Mike Rei » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

I reset the License Manager Database on my PDC and BDC as described in KB
Article Q153140.

I have been able to re-install my NT and BackOffice licenses ok, but I can't
find an option to allow me to re-install Exchange licenses. (When I select
Add Licenses within the License Manager, the only options I get are NT and
BackOffice.)

Any idea how I can tell it about Exchange licenses?

--
Mike Reid
Systems Engineer

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Hi All,

>I reset the License Manager Database on my PDC and BDC as described in KB
>Article Q153140.

>I have been able to re-install my NT and BackOffice licenses ok, but I can't
>find an option to allow me to re-install Exchange licenses. (When I select
>Add Licenses within the License Manager, the only options I get are NT and
>BackOffice.)

>Any idea how I can tell it about Exchange licenses?

Is there still a MSExchangeIS key in the
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Services\LicenseInfo key?

I suppose rerunning the Exchange setup program and picking "Reinstall"
would put it back.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Reinstalling Exchange Server licenses.

Post by Mike Rei » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There is an MSExchangeIS key on the BDC (Exchange Server), but not on the
PDC, but event on the BDC I can't add Exchange licenses.

Is it worth copying the same key onto the PDC?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>There is an MSExchangeIS key on the BDC (Exchange Server), but not on the
>PDC, but event on the BDC I can't add Exchange licenses.

>Is it worth copying the same key onto the PDC?

Sure. The BDC should get its information from the PDC about licences.
If that doesn't work then just disable the License Logging Service on
the servers, or use that "Reinstall" button.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Loss of Licenses on Exchange Server 5.5 Reinstall

Our Exchange 5.5 server machine suffered a catastrophic
crash and everything was lost (the backup was unusable).
When I installed NT4, SP6a and Exchange Server 5.0 and
then installed the upgrate to 5.5 and SP4 on a new
machine, only 3 of our 10 licenses were there.

Can I get the missing 7 licenses back, and if so, how?

I'm actually going on memory on the number of licenses,
but I read that Exchange was only available in 10 and 20-
license versions, and I'm sure we didn't buy the 20-
license version. How do I verify how many licenses I
should have?

2. logon NOT ... STILL

3. License Group/Licensing for Windows Server and Exchange Server

4. out going mail problem

5. Outlook 97 licensing Exchange Server 5.0 in per server licensing mode

6. IIS News Migration ARRRGH!!

7. Server licensing vs. Exchange licensing

8. exchange not adding user to group

9. No client licenses available while License Server is up

10. How to reinstall OWA without reinstalling Exchange?

11. Reinstall NT Server 4.0 over Exchange Server 5.0

12. Exchange Server for NT Server 4 w/60 licenses

13. Exchange Licenses - Reports out of licenses but there are plenty