Web access: domain/username vs. username

Web access: domain/username vs. username

Post by Matthew Goodel » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

My test Exchange server allowed me to go to http://servername/exchange
and get into my mailbox without using the domain/username convention in
the authentication box. I could use just username and it would work.

My new "production" server requires users to do the whole
domain/username. I don't mind this too much but the other way required
less training for users.

How are these two servers configured differently? Can I change it?
Should I change it?

-Matthew Goodell
University of St. Thomas
St. Paul, MN

Post by ARun » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Subject: Web access: domain/username vs. username

>Date: Thu, Feb 5, 1998 16:01 EST

>My test Exchange server allowed me to go to http://servername/exchange
>and get into my mailbox without using the domain/username convention in
>the authentication box. I could use just username and it would work.

>My new "production" server requires users to do the whole
>domain/username. I don't mind this too much but the other way required
>less training for users.

>How are these two servers configured differently? Can I change it?
>Should I change it?

>-Matthew Goodell
>University of St. Thomas
>St. Paul, MN

It sounds like your IIS manager has set the WWW authentication methods
differently on the 2 servers with one having NTLM validation and the other only
using Clear Text.  Clear Text is necessary if your users are accessing the
server with Netscape browsers. Is ALL the accesses are via Internet Exporer
then NTLM should work.

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>My test Exchange server allowed me to go to http://servername/exchange
>and get into my mailbox without using the domain/username convention in
>the authentication box. I could use just username and it would work.

>My new "production" server requires users to do the whole
>domain/username. I don't mind this too much but the other way required
>less training for users.

>How are these two servers configured differently? Can I change it?
>Should I change it?

Does this MS KB article describe what you're looking for?

Q166635 "XWEB: Setting the Default Logon Domain for IIS"

1. Determining network username from Outlook/Exchange username

I am using the Collaboration Data Object (CDO) Library v1.2 to extract data
from the Exchange Server's Global Address List into an Access 97 database.
This works great and gives me loads of information, save one piece I could
really use.  I'd like to know what the Outlook user's network username is.
It certainly does not seem to be stored in the address book, but the
Exchange Server simply has to know as access to a Mailbox is granted via NT
authentification.  Does anyone have a clue?

2. !moderated folders

3. WEB ACCESS & DomainName\UserName

4. Exchange 2000 Setup with multiple email domains??

5. unable to relay for username@servername.domainname.domain.com when I'm sending the email to username@domain.com

6. Connect 5.5 and Ex2K without AD

7. Change of Organization display name

8. filtering the username from authentication at IIS / Web Storage System

9. OWA Front-End username requires domain

10. Asked to supply Username,Password,Domain????

11. DOMAIN\USERNAME for the login