Exchange 2000 System Messages Public Folder

Exchange 2000 System Messages Public Folder

Post by Chris Meiste » Sat, 24 May 2003 01:38:16

In Exchange 5.5 we had all system messages being sent to a
public folder that we could then sort and manage.

We upgraded to Exchange 2000 and by design Exchange2k will
not do this simple yet very useful feature.

Is there a fix or work around other than setting up a mailbox?

Thank you,
Chris

Exchange 2000 System Messages Public Folder

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Sat, 24 May 2003 11:06:31

I am not sure if so, but there might be a third party application availble
to change this behavior. You might also be able to develop your own work
around using an Exchange Server store event sink as documented in the
Exchange SDK: http://msdn.microsoft.com/exchange. Another option might be to
let them deliver to a mailbox and forward them to the public folder. I
believe this will work without problems.

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

Development Lead,

CDOLive LLC - The Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application
Experts http://www.cdolive.com

> In Exchange 5.5 we had all system messages being sent to a
> public folder that we could then sort and manage.

> We upgraded to Exchange 2000 and by design Exchange2k will
> not do this simple yet very useful feature.

> Is there a fix or work around other than setting up a mailbox?

> Thank you,
> Chris

1. Front-end / Back-end Exchange 2000 SYSTEM Public Folders replication

Hello All.

The problem we are experiencing is that most of the default exchange
system public folders are not replicated to all the backend exchange
servers. Our network has a root domain where the front end server is
located.  Then there are 5 child domains under that, each with a
backend exchange. Native mode 2000 (One Forest -> Root domain with 5
child domains under it) as well as native mode exchange (one
organisation). There is no NT4 or older versions of Exchange and never
has been so no upgrades or migrations.  Only one backend has System
folders identical to those on the frontend all other backends do not.
Folders missing include SCHEDULE+FREE BUSY (the SUB
FOLDER);Schema;schema-root and all subfolders;OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK
subfolders;EFORMS REGISTRY (subfolder only)...

What got us on to these missing folders was the Error Updating Free
busy Data experienced in the outlook clients.

Articles tried already:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284200
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275171
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;286783

We have tried the FBFIX solution, the resetting of system folders and
a couple of other things such as forestprep again and domainprep again
in the root and child domains with schema admins account.  The closest
fix was resetting the system folders in Exchange (275171 nearly
worked!) - that caused the only working backend (interms of
Calendaring) to malfunction the same way all other backends are but
after manually adding it to the newly created FREE BUSY folder
replication tab on the frontend the problem was fixed.  Not on any of
the other backends though.....

Do all backends have the System Public Folders: Schema and
Schema-root? And a subfolder under the SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY Folder? I
think they are meant to but need confirmation.

Active directory replication appears to be functioning well.  DNS
resolution works great and the DNS logs are virtually error/warning
free.  The firewall is currently permitting all TCP and UPD traffic
between all child domain controllers and Exchange servers to the root
DC's and frontend.

We don't know where to look anymore.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thank you,
Neil.

2. When attaching files system out of memory

3. Exchange 2000, System Manager, viewing Public Folders, 80004005

4. CC:Mail and Outlook

5. Following message upon accessing Public Folders in System Manager

6. Outlook Free/Busy unavailable

7. E-mail message show up as post in Public Folder (Exchange Server 2000)

8. Exchange 2k migration

9. Exchange 2000 and IIS (MBX and Public Folder error messages)

10. Exchange 2000: delivering SMTP messages to public folder

11. Corrupt mail message in Exchange 2000 Public Folder

12. Status messages for Exchange 2000 / Public Folders

13. Exchange 2000 and IIS (MBX and Public Folder error messages)