Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by Susan Buye » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I am trying to run Exchange 5.0 on my NT 4.0 server.  I have set up an
account for myself with the same user name that I use to log on to the
server.  I have administrative privileges.  I have specified my
administrator account as the "parent" account for my email account.

When I try to check my mail (using Eudora Pro) from my win95 workstation,
Eudora finds the server but returns a bad password or unknown user error
message.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going wrong?  I can't find
anyplace to specify a password for an exchange internet mail recipient in
exchange, and am assuming that the password that I use to log onto the
server is the one that exchange is validating.

Thanks,

Susan
Susan Buyer
Acting Chief, Office of Planning and Analysis
National Library of Medicine
301-496-2312            FAX 301-496-4450

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by Philip J. Morrison, Jr » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Make sure that you are allowing clear text logon's to the exchange server
from POP3.  Also, if you are using MS Internet mail you can turn on The NT
Challenge/Response logon, but you have to be logged into the system with
the same user name and password as your NT account.
--
--Philip J. Morrison, Jr. MCPS

> Hi, I am trying to run Exchange 5.0 on my NT 4.0 server.  I have set up
an
> account for myself with the same user name that I use to log on to the
> server.  I have administrative privileges.  I have specified my
> administrator account as the "parent" account for my email account.

> When I try to check my mail (using Eudora Pro) from my win95 workstation,
> Eudora finds the server but returns a bad password or unknown user error
> message.

> Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going wrong?  I can't find
> anyplace to specify a password for an exchange internet mail recipient in
> exchange, and am assuming that the password that I use to log onto the
> server is the one that exchange is validating.

> Thanks,

> Susan
> --
> Susan Buyer
> Acting Chief, Office of Planning and Analysis
> National Library of Medicine
> 301-496-2312               FAX 301-496-4450

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by Susan Buye » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately this doesn't fix it.

> Make sure that you are allowing clear text logon's to the exchange server
> from POP3.  Also, if you are using MS Internet mail you can turn on The
NT
> Challenge/Response logon, but you have to be logged into the system with
> the same user name and password as your NT account.

> > Hi, I am trying to run Exchange 5.0 on my NT 4.0 server.  I have set up
> an
> > account for myself with the same user name that I use to log on to the
> > server.  I have administrative privileges.  I have specified my
> > administrator account as the "parent" account for my email account.

> > When I try to check my mail (using Eudora Pro) from my win95
workstation,
> > Eudora finds the server but returns a bad password or unknown user
error
> > message.

> > Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going wrong?  I can't find
> > anyplace to specify a password for an exchange internet mail recipient
in
> > exchange, and am assuming that the password that I use to log onto the
> > server is the one that exchange is validating.

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by Philip J. Morrison, Jr » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

For username on you pop client, try doman\username and then password.  I
read something in the documentation about maybe having to do that.  I never
had the prob. so I almost forgot it.
--
--Philip J. Morrison, Jr. MCPS

> Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately this doesn't fix it.

> > Make sure that you are allowing clear text logon's to the exchange
server
> > from POP3.  Also, if you are using MS Internet mail you can turn on The
> NT
> > Challenge/Response logon, but you have to be logged into the system
with
> > the same user name and password as your NT account.

> > > Hi, I am trying to run Exchange 5.0 on my NT 4.0 server.  I have set
up
> > an
> > > account for myself with the same user name that I use to log on to
the
> > > server.  I have administrative privileges.  I have specified my
> > > administrator account as the "parent" account for my email account.

> > > When I try to check my mail (using Eudora Pro) from my win95
> workstation,
> > > Eudora finds the server but returns a bad password or unknown user
> error
> > > message.

> > > Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going wrong?  I can't find
> > > anyplace to specify a password for an exchange internet mail
recipient
> in
> > > exchange, and am assuming that the password that I use to log onto
the
> > > server is the one that exchange is validating.

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by Susan Buye » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Thanks for your help, till no good.  I continue to get unknown user or bad
password messages, both in Eudora Pro and MS Internet Mail.  Am thinking of
trying to reinstall Exchange.

> For username on you pop client, try doman\username and then password.  I
> read something in the documentation about maybe having to do that.  I
never
> had the prob. so I almost forgot it.

> > Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately this doesn't fix it.

> > > Make sure that you are allowing clear text logon's to the exchange
> server
> > > from POP3.  Also, if you are using MS Internet mail you can turn on
The
> > NT
> > > Challenge/Response logon, but you have to be logged into the system
> with
> > > the same user name and password as your NT account.

> up
> > > an
> the

> > workstation,
> > error

> recipient
> > in
> the

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by Philip J. Morrison, Jr » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

You did say that you check to see if POP3 was turned on?  For the server
and for the user account?  A reinstall might still fix the problem anyway.
--
--Philip J. Morrison, Jr. MCPS

Post by Greg Aske » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Anything in the Event Viewer?
--
Greg Askew

Both would love to hear from you.
Check out:  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~cbrown/BL/

> Thanks for your help, till no good.  I continue to get unknown user or bad
> password messages, both in Eudora Pro and MS Internet Mail.  Am thinking of
> trying to reinstall Exchange.

> > For username on you pop client, try doman\username and then password.  I
> > read something in the documentation about maybe having to do that.  I
> never
> > had the prob. so I almost forgot it.

> > > Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately this doesn't fix it.

> > server
> The
> > > NT
> > with

> set
> > up
> > the

> > > workstation,
> > > error

> > recipient
> > > in
> > the

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by Bob Blois » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi Susan,

I just went through the same thing.  Here is what I did to correct the
problem.  If anyone else knows a better way then I would like to know too.

I selected Protocols, POP3, Authentication, and then removed the Windows NT
Challenge/Response and the Windows NT Challenge/Response using SSL.  I left
the Basic clear text and Basic clear text SSL.  Also your username and
password are cAse sEnsItiVe.

:)

Hope this helps.

bob

>Hi, I am trying to run Exchange 5.0 on my NT 4.0 server.  I have set up
an
>account for myself with the same user name that I use to log on to the
>server.  I have administrative privileges.  I have specified my
>administrator account as the "parent" account for my email account.

>When I try to check my mail (using Eudora Pro) from my win95 workstation,
>Eudora finds the server but returns a bad password or unknown user error
>message.

>Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going wrong?  I can't find
>anyplace to specify a password for an exchange internet mail recipient in
>exchange, and am assuming that the password that I use to log onto the
>server is the one that exchange is validating.

>Thanks,

>Susan
>--
>Susan Buyer
>Acting Chief, Office of Planning and Analysis
>National Library of Medicine
>301-496-2312 FAX 301-496-4450

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by Thomas Bergan » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

In your username field try <Win NT domain name\username/alias>. I've do
this in MS internet mail and in Eudora and it works great. In the pop
server field and smtp server field (incomming mail server, outgoing mail
server) type the name of your NT server machine.

Thomas

>Hi Susan,

>I just went through the same thing.  Here is what I did to correct the
>problem.  If anyone else knows a better way then I would like to know
too.

>I selected Protocols, POP3, Authentication, and then removed the Windows
NT
>Challenge/Response and the Windows NT Challenge/Response using SSL.  I
left
>the Basic clear text and Basic clear text SSL.  Also your username and
>password are cAse sEnsItiVe.

>:)

>Hope this helps.

>bob

>..
>>Hi, I am trying to run Exchange 5.0 on my NT 4.0 server.  I have set up
>an
>>account for myself with the same user name that I use to log on to the
>>server.  I have administrative privileges.  I have specified my
>>administrator account as the "parent" account for my email account.

>>When I try to check my mail (using Eudora Pro) from my win95
workstation,
>>Eudora finds the server but returns a bad password or unknown user error
>>message.

>>Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going wrong?  I can't find
>>anyplace to specify a password for an exchange internet mail recipient
in
>>exchange, and am assuming that the password that I use to log onto the
>>server is the one that exchange is validating.

>>Thanks,

>>Susan
>>--
>>Susan Buyer
>>Acting Chief, Office of Planning and Analysis
>>National Library of Medicine
>>301-496-2312 FAX 301-496-4450

Bad Password or Unknown User/Exchange 5.0

Post by <pa.. » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Try create the mailbox in "user manager for domain" with same alias as
login Id.  This will prob. solve the problem.

Tom

>Thanks for your help, till no good.  I continue to get unknown user or
bad
>password messages, both in Eudora Pro and MS Internet Mail.  Am thinking
of
>trying to reinstall Exchange.

>> For username on you pop client, try doman\username and then password.
>> read something in the documentation about maybe having to do that.  I
>never
>> had the prob. so I almost forgot it.

>> > Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately this doesn't fix it.

>> server
>The
>> > NT
>> with

>set
>> up
>> the
account.

>> > workstation,
>> > error

>> recipient
>> > in
>> the

1. Unknown user name or bad password

Hi folks!

We're having a weird situation with our Exchange Server: when some users (not
all) try to conect to our server, using POP3 protocol in Outlook Express, to
retrieve their messages, they receive an error message: "ERR - Unknown user name
or bad password". Of course, the user name is correct and the password isn't
invalid.
Then we set the "Primary Windows NT Account" to another user and this (other)
user is able to retrive the message without any problem.

Is there some known problem? Anyone has already seen this behaviour?

Thanks for any help.

Ars

2. Hide/Unhide Mailbox

3. OWA unknown u/name or bad password.

4. Changing E2K servers

5. Bad username or bad password.

6. Editing the Moderated Folder Response

7. Unkown user name or bad password

8. Exchange and Satellite

9. bad user name or password

10. Exchange 5.0 Trial Setup--Won't accept user/password

11. Forwarding bad messages/ unknown recipients to a mailbox

12. Unknown user/Default user

13. Exchange 5.0 IMC problem, host unknown?