Empty "Deleted Items"

Post by Bernard Je » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:07:09

Is there a way that I can permanentely delete the "Deleted Items" folder for
users from Exchange Server?  My users don't have a good habbit to empty
their "Deleted Items" folder. Thanks a lot. (MS Exchange 5.5 SP4)

Bernard Jen

Empty "Deleted Items"

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:40:03

There are certain folders you DON'T want to delete and that is one of them.
Question for you is if you remove that folder how will users be able to
delete mail or recover mail they inadvertently deleted?

The best thing to do is to work on some good email policies.

1. Train your users
2. Configure the clients to delete mail on exit. This is a policy you can
force down on all existing clients by using any number of the profile tools
available. One possibility is autoprof.

Wesley Peace
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Read the Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
Exchange Resource Center at http://www.slipstick.com

We are what we repeatedly do. Aristotle

Quote:> Is there a way that I can permanentely delete the "Deleted Items" folder
for
> users from Exchange Server?  My users don't have a good habbit to empty
> their "Deleted Items" folder. Thanks a lot. (MS Exchange 5.5 SP4)

> Bernard Jen

Empty "Deleted Items"

Post by Bernard Je » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 06:06:27

Thank you for you reply.
I don't want to delete the folder but the emails in the "Delete Items"
folder.  We have a user that has more than thousand emails in his "Delete
Items" folder.  Can I setup on the Server so that it automatically empty
that folder after certain days.

> There are certain folders you DON'T want to delete and that is one of
them.
> Question for you is if you remove that folder how will users be able to
> delete mail or recover mail they inadvertently deleted?

> The best thing to do is to work on some good email policies.

> 1. Train your users
> 2. Configure the clients to delete mail on exit. This is a policy you can
> force down on all existing clients by using any number of the profile
tools
> available. One possibility is autoprof.

> --
> Wesley Peace
> Microsoft Exchange MVP

> Read the Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
> Exchange Resource Center at http://www.slipstick.com

> We are what we repeatedly do. Aristotle

> > Is there a way that I can permanentely delete the "Deleted Items" folder
> for
> > users from Exchange Server?  My users don't have a good habbit to empty
> > their "Deleted Items" folder. Thanks a lot. (MS Exchange 5.5 SP4)

> > Bernard Jen

Empty "Deleted Items"

Post by John Oliver, Jr. [MVP » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:12:40

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q305/1/09.ASP
--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

Quote:> Is there a way that I can permanentely delete the "Deleted Items" folder
for
> users from Exchange Server?  My users don't have a good habbit to empty
> their "Deleted Items" folder. Thanks a lot. (MS Exchange 5.5 SP4)

> Bernard Jen

Empty "Deleted Items"

Post by Lanwenc » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:56:27

The first thing to do : enable Deleted Item retention on your server - I
usually use 30 days, but that's just my preference. Do this for both private
& public stores.

Then, I think the best solution is to implement mailbox size restrictions
for the private information store, and make users manage their own
mailboxes. If someone wants to have a thousand items in their Deleted Item
mailbox, fine, but they may change their mind when they start having
problems sending & receiving mail....

Or, to deal just with the deleted items, in Outlook, you can specify that
the deleted items folder is to be emptied on Outlook shutdown. Go to Tools,
Options, Other, and click "Empty Deleted Items Folder..." If you don't want
the user to be notified, go to Advanced within here, and de-select "Warn
before permenantly deleting items."

Quote:> Is there a way that I can permanentely delete the "Deleted Items" folder
for
> users from Exchange Server?  My users don't have a good habbit to empty
> their "Deleted Items" folder. Thanks a lot. (MS Exchange 5.5 SP4)

> Bernard Jen

Empty "Deleted Items"

Post by D. Osbor » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 06:47:22

Not that this is a race or anything, but I have 3 high ranking execs in my
organization that have well over 3000 messages in their deleted items
folder.  The mandate finally came down that only 2 weeks of messages can
remain there now.

Quote:> Thank you for you reply.
> I don't want to delete the folder but the emails in the "Delete Items"
> folder.  We have a user that has more than thousand emails in his "Delete
> Items" folder.  Can I setup on the Server so that it automatically empty
> that folder after certain days.

1. Empty "Deleted Items" folder stalls

Greetings experts,

I am experiencing some difficulties after installing some programs on
my MS Exchange server.

All operations that involve more than one messages, like
the 'Empty "Deleted Items" folder' function in MS Outlook will cause
the client to hang. Now, deletion and moving of messages can only work
if it is done one message at a time.

The programs suspected to cause the problems were removed but the
problem persisted.

I tried the 'eseutil' command with the /d option but that did not fix
anything.

I'm using MS Exchange Server 5.5 SP3.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Cedric Phang

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Orphan OST Files

3. Connection Problem? Win XP

4. Can't empty "Deleted Items"

5. error's after imaging server

6. Unable to empty "deleted Items" folder

7. Exchange 2000 SP3

8. "Empty Deleted Items Folder Upon Exiting"

9. Automatically emptying "Deleted Items" from OWA??

10. Cant delete "deleted items"

11. Please Help""""""""""""""