Cant open or backup MBX folders

Post by Nigel Muggridg » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:14:30

I am running Small Business Server 2000 and seem to have
an administrator permissions issue.  I cant gain access as
administrator to MBX folders therefore I cant backup
exchange.  Any ideas anyone??

Cant open or backup MBX folders

Post by Tom Meunie » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:00:00

If you're asking if you can back up the M: drive, do NOT do that!!!  (No, my
exclamation mark key isn't stuck).  You exclude this, as well as your
exchsrvr directories and your logfile directories, from both file-level
antivirus and backup programs.  If not, you WILL corrupt your data.

To get a good message store backup (I'm assuming you're using NTBackup) you
drill down through Microsoft Exchange Server / Servername / and select
Microsoft Information Store.  If you set Deleted Item Retention (and deleted
mailbox retention) to a high enough number you will never have to recover a
mailbox.

--
-tom

> I am running Small Business Server 2000 and seem to have
> an administrator permissions issue.  I cant gain access as
> administrator to MBX folders therefore I cant backup
> exchange.  Any ideas anyone??

Cant open or backup MBX folders

Post by Nino Bilic [MS » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:06:35

Backing up the M: drive - BAD thing.

The following is a good thing. :)

Q258243 XADM: How to Back Up and Restore an Exchange 2000 Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q258243

--
Nino Bilic
Exchange Support

Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

Quote:> I am running Small Business Server 2000 and seem to have
> an administrator permissions issue.  I cant gain access as
> administrator to MBX folders therefore I cant backup
> exchange.  Any ideas anyone??

Cant open or backup MBX folders

Post by jb » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:49:59

where do u set this deleted item retention and deleted
mailbox retention?

thanks in advance ;)

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>If you're asking if you can back up the M: drive, do NOT
do that!!!  (No, my
>exclamation mark key isn't stuck).  You exclude this, as
well as your
>exchsrvr directories and your logfile directories, from
both file-level
>antivirus and backup programs.  If not, you WILL corrupt
your data.

>To get a good message store backup (I'm assuming you're
using NTBackup) you
>drill down through Microsoft Exchange Server /

Servername / and select
Quote:>Microsoft Information Store.  If you set Deleted Item

----

>> I am running Small Business Server 2000 and seem to have
>> an administrator permissions issue.  I cant gain access
as
>> administrator to MBX folders therefore I cant backup
>> exchange.  Any ideas anyone??

>.

Cant open or backup MBX folders

Post by Tom Meunie » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:03:19

On the "Limits" tab of your message store's properties pages in Exchange
System Manager.
--
-tom