difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

Post by Ross Woodwa » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 06:26:45

Hi there,

I have a server running Exchange 5.5 SP4, which has recently started
hitting the 16Gb limit for exchange standard.

My query is this - If I export the Mailbox Resourses list, and add the
Total K column up, it only comes to 5.5gb - where has the extra 10Gb
gone?

I've tried offline defrags, they dont reduce the size very much.

isinteg -test alltests shows 0 errors
eseutil /g shows database consitent

Deleted Item retention is set to 0 days, and the ticky box for dont
delete till backup is unticked.

We are running Backup Exec doing a brick backup of both the whole
information store and the individual mailboxes - this completes
without errors. 10 days ago this was backing up the first 35 mailboxes
totalling 12Gb!, and giving errors saying unable to access the
remaining ones. This has now stopped and its backing up all 137
mailboxes (though nothing has changed permissions wise)

In the last week, the database size shot up by 2gb for no apparent
reason - the previous week it only grew by 30mb.

I think i've detailed all relevant info - if I've missed anything i'd
appreciate knowing! Its doing my head in.

Cheers

Ross Woodward - MCSE Win2k NT4 (not exchange though - yet)
NE Solutions Ltd

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:06:22

>Hi there,

>I have a server running Exchange 5.5 SP4, which has recently started
>hitting the 16Gb limit for exchange standard.

>My query is this - If I export the Mailbox Resourses list, and add the
>Total K column up, it only comes to 5.5gb - where has the extra 10Gb
>gone?

>I've tried offline defrags, they dont reduce the size very much.

>isinteg -test alltests shows 0 errors
>eseutil /g shows database consitent

>Deleted Item retention is set to 0 days, and the ticky box for dont
>delete till backup is unticked.

Check the applications log and verify that the maintenance tasks are
running. E.g.

179 defrag begins
180 defrag ends
1221 database freespace report
1206 cleanup starts
1207 cleanup ends

Use PerfMon and see how much space is eaten up by deleted items.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

Post by Ross Woodwa » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:12:34

Quote:

> Check the applications log and verify that the maintenance tasks are
> running. E.g.

> 179 defrag begins
> 180 defrag ends
> 1221 database freespace report
> 1206 cleanup starts
> 1207 cleanup ends

> Use PerfMon and see how much space is eaten up by deleted items.

Cheers Rich,

Guess in the heat of panic I forgot about the maintenance routine
firing to do the deletions.

Free Space after maintenance shows 9Gb free space, so then ran offline
defrag and priv.edb is now back to the 6gb I expected.

Much appreciated ...

Ross

1. Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Hello all,
I am looking for some help/information/Research

My users are pack rats and store EVERYTHING in email

I have tried to implement limits - but I am always told -
I need everything

I am trying to get some info together that will support me
in Strictly enforcing mail box size limits

So I need to here what your Information store size is,
mail box limits, and number of users

Here is how I have it set up - I think I am being more
then Generous and well over the industry standards -
Please let me know...

Exchange 5.5 standard- 110 Users
Private store size currently 9.98GIG - on a 46.8GIG drive
Limits
200000K - Warning
400000K - Prohibit send
500000K - Disable mailbox

Currently I have 10 users over 300000K and 9 users over
200000K

These users cried to the CFO and I was TOLD to give them
more space - So I set up personal folders for each one

Now they are all over 500MB on their personal folders and
some in the 900MB range - the personal folders are stored
on their private network share's

Now they are reaching the limits of their Private network
shares to (I have a utility that limits how much space a
user can store on the share it is set to 2GIG for private
share and 250MB for community share per user)

Again they are crying for more space - even though they
have junk in their Personal folders and Inboxes that they
can remove - they say they do not have time.

And my BU times have Tripled, Their Personal shares are
growing in excess of 1GIG a month

The Private store grew 2gig's in 5 weeks

As you can see I need to control this growth - So I need
data to show that my limits are Reasonable and DATA and
Mail storage and clean up IS PART OF THEIR JOB!!

We are a small company - only 115 users

My CIO totally agrees with me

The problem is HIS boss

Totally ignores anything IT

Basically agrees to limits - then when a user reaches the
limits - tells us to remove them because the user has to
do their Job

Ignoring the fact that for the past 2 months these users
have been receiving warning messages and ignoring them

It makes my job all but impossible

PLEASE post any info and what ever else you feel could
help me take this issue to the Big boss and SHOW him that
we are NOT doing things correctly
IE - our store is to big, our limits are too high, and
users JOB must included proper data management.

BTW - the ONLY reason I have been told why the can NOT
clean their mailboxes and manage their server data is

I DONT HAVE ENOUGHT TIME!!

2. Authentication Problem

3. edb Size versus Mailbox size=16gb difference??

4. Where do I add External Client Address

5. Are there any limit on Private store size on SBS 4.5, Exchange 5.5

6. Help!! Please My System Attendant Keeps Growing in Size

7. Exchange 5.5 sp4 Mailbox Size Incorrect

8. Help: Open Messages

9. Mailbox size-limit warnings in Exchange 5.5 SP4

10. Mailbox Size Differences reported through Exchange Admin and Client

11. mailbox size and items *NOT* correct (ex 5.5 - sp4)

12. Priv.ebd size V Size of all private mailboxs

13. big size difference in information store