Change user's Mailbox to user's new NT account

Change user's Mailbox to user's new NT account

Post by Jose » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 02:05:48

It appears trivial, yet I cannot find an efficient way to do this:

In the case when user changes his/her's name (by marriage for example),  we
create a new NT user account.  That is trivial.  But how do any one
effectively transfer the user's mailbox?  I can change the NT account for
the mail box, but the name stays the same.  Is there an administrative tool
or procedure for this?  ( I could not find one in the Knowledge Base).

Thanks,
Josef
NBHS

Change user's Mailbox to user's new NT account

Post by Scott Harma » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 02:07:08

Why not simply modify the existing account?  this way your SID doesn't
change, and it cuts down on workload.
For compliance - simply add a new e-mail address relating to the married
name, and set that as the default reply address... nothing else is really an
issue!

Scotty.

> It appears trivial, yet I cannot find an efficient way to do this:

> In the case when user changes his/her's name (by marriage for example),
we
> create a new NT user account.  That is trivial.  But how do any one
> effectively transfer the user's mailbox?  I can change the NT account for
> the mail box, but the name stays the same.  Is there an administrative
tool
> or procedure for this?  ( I could not find one in the Knowledge Base).

> Thanks,
> Josef
> NBHS

Change user's Mailbox to user's new NT account

Post by Jose » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 04:42:40

Ohh yes, but it is so trivial!!!!!!!  :-)

Thanks
Josef

> Why not simply modify the existing account?  this way your SID doesn't
> change, and it cuts down on workload.
> For compliance - simply add a new e-mail address relating to the married
> name, and set that as the default reply address... nothing else is really
an
> issue!

> Scotty.

> > It appears trivial, yet I cannot find an efficient way to do this:

> > In the case when user changes his/her's name (by marriage for example),
> we
> > create a new NT user account.  That is trivial.  But how do any one
> > effectively transfer the user's mailbox?  I can change the NT account
for
> > the mail box, but the name stays the same.  Is there an administrative
> tool
> > or procedure for this?  ( I could not find one in the Knowledge Base).

> > Thanks,
> > Josef
> > NBHS

1. Can't logon to mailbox after changing NT user account

Why change the primary NT account in the Exchange admin? If all you
did was rename the existing NT account, there's nothing else you need
to do. Access to the exchange mailbox is tied to the SID.

Take a look at this MS KB article, it may help:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/0/65.asp

You can also get this article by sending an E-mail with a subject of

Renaming the existing NT account is much faster and easier in my
experience.

--
Chris Scharff
Senior Systems Consultant

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
E-Mail Resource Guide:
http://www.mail-resources.com/resources/search.cgi

2. Forward Mail to an external Address.

3. New User Account Doesn't Create New Mailbox

4. Exchange 5.5 and SP5

5. Creating new user in AD doesn't create new mailbox

6. Inbound Mail sent to temp file

7. Creating New User Doesn't Create New Mailbox

8. STORE.EXE

9. can't creat Email Account for the new user

10. new user accounts' mail not working

11. Collecting all user's emails to a single account/user

12. Adding New User - Can't Send Email to User If I Typed In

13. Exchange account without new NT-User account