Exchange profiles need to be defined frequently

Exchange profiles need to be defined frequently

Post by Marc Zampin » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

Occasionally, some of my users have to redefine their exhange profile so
they can use their mail.  Everytime I set up the mail profile, I set it as
the default and I shut down Outlook and reopened it a few times and I even
restart windows.  But, eventually, a few users call me a few days later and
tell me they get the Choose a profile form, which required me to redefine
the exchange server and the name of the mailbox etc.

Any ideas why the profile doesn't stick once its defined.

Marc Zampino
Sunshine Analytics, Inc.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MV » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

>Occasionally, some of my users have to redefine their exhange profile so
>they can use their mail.  Everytime I set up the mail profile, I set it as
>the default and I shut down Outlook and reopened it a few times and I even
>restart windows.  But, eventually, a few users call me a few days later and
>tell me they get the Choose a profile form, which required me to redefine
>the exchange server and the name of the mailbox etc.

>Any ideas why the profile doesn't stick once its defined.

Because someone, or something, has changed it. It might be a problem
with disk or it might be a problem with network communication. I've
seen some ugly things happen when RPC messages are handled by the
wrong software (this happen in RC1 of Exchange 5.5 -- profiles would
be altered because the client was receiving messages from the IS and
treating them as if they were from the DS).

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Exchange profiles need to be defined frequently

Post by Marc Zampin » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

Rich,

Thanks for the reply.  I would think the exchange profile for a user would
be something stored in the users profile, which gets put into the registry
when that user logs on to the computer.  I am using roving profiles in NT,
and no matter where I log in on the network, I get my mail box, i.e. the
exhange profile settings, mainly the exchange server's name, my mail box
name, and the defaults for the address list and services etc., follow me
around fine.  So I'm assuming that info is being written to my user.dat file
which gets written to my home directory on the net (roving networks).  If
I'm correct about all that, then for the problem to happen, there is some
sort of problem with those registry/profile entries being updated, or being
overwritten.  The wierd thing is that it only appears to happen with the
exchange profile stuff not any of the other user profile things like desktop
preferences, etc.

Do you think that its just one of those "ugly things" in exchange?  If so, I
guess there isn't much to do about it, I'm using the latest SP for exchange.
Its not a major problem, just an occasional nuisance.

What's your experience tell you.

Marc Zampino
Sunshine Analytics, Inc.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MV » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

>Thanks for the reply.  I would think the exchange profile for a user would
>be something stored in the users profile, which gets put into the registry
>when that user logs on to the computer.

That's where it's stored.

Quote:>I am using roving profiles in NT,
>and no matter where I log in on the network, I get my mail box, i.e. the
>exhange profile settings, mainly the exchange server's name, my mail box
>name, and the defaults for the address list and services etc., follow me
>around fine.  So I'm assuming that info is being written to my user.dat file
>which gets written to my home directory on the net (roving networks).

Sounds about right so far

Quote:>If
>I'm correct about all that, then for the problem to happen, there is some
>sort of problem with those registry/profile entries being updated, or being
>overwritten.

That's what I said. Either that or the transfer from server to client
of the *.dat file is having a problem (but that's unlikely).

Quote:>The wierd thing is that it only appears to happen with the
>exchange profile stuff not any of the other user profile things like desktop
>preferences, etc.

Yes, and the client program changes the MAPI profile all the time.
Sometime it's changes because the ser initiates the change. Some time
the change is initiated by the server (the user's mailbox is moved to
another server in the site, for instance).

Quote:>Do you think that its just one of those "ugly things" in exchange?  If so, I
>guess there isn't much to do about it, I'm using the latest SP for exchange.
>Its not a major problem, just an occasional nuisance.

>What's your experience tell you.

It tells me that problems like this are not easy to diagnose.

I can understand the server name changing if you move the mailbox. And
I can see that Display Name changing (the MAPI profile is tied to the
mailbox by its Distinguished Name) if that same change was made at the
server. But what you're describing sounds suspiciously like your're
using the wrong entry in the registry or retrieving the wrong *.dat
file from the server.

Is there some distinctive change you can make to your NT profile that
you can recognize when you log on? Maybe you can recognize this
situation with something visual, like a distinctive wallpaper. Or, if
that's not possible, when you detect the error with the MAPI profile,
check some other things that the user might recognize as not belonging
to them.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Exchange profiles don't stay once defined.

Occasionally, more often than I would like, the exchange profile for a user
does'nt stay put for a user on their Win95 machine, hence, I have to create
a new profile again (define server, mail box name, select a few options,
etc.)

I always select the "Keep as default" option for the profile.  Has anybody
else seen this?  Any ideas as to avoid this problem.  I am careful to shut
down Outlook and then reboot after I create the profile and set up the
options for the Outook client.  But after a few days or so, I always end up
returning to one user or another to repeat the same process.

Any help will be appreciated.

Marc Zampino
Sunshine Analytics, Inc.

2. Internet Mail Service mailbox

3. Dynamic CDO profiles: What am I doing wrong?

4. MAC SMTP Open RELAY

5. HELP - Need Advice Quick by Tomorrow AM - Boss messed up server

6. errors with Public Folder proxy?

7. Help - Need Advice before tomorrow AM - Boss messed up server

8. Multiple POP3 domain ?

9. Need Help to Create Exchange Profile for Outlook2K

10. I need to know how to set up roaming or roving profiles for exchange

11. Need Help w/ Adding MS Exchange Profile

12. IIS stops frequently after Exchange 5.5 upgrade

13. exchange server 5.5 smtp service goes down frequently