logon failure POP and IMAP

Post by msluca » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:17:27

hello,

I have one user with the following error on a Win2000 server with exchange
2000

telnet server 110
Trying server...
Connected to server.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6389.0 (elephant) ready.
user MyUserName
+OK
pass MyPassWord
-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
quit
+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6389.0 signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.

IMAP also give a username/password failure

the same user is able to logon normal to windows

does somebody have any idee?

Thanks in advance
Maurice Lucas

logon failure POP and IMAP

Post by Mark Arnold [MVP » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 23:05:31

>hello,

>I have one user with the following error on a Win2000 server with exchange
>2000

>telnet server 110
>Trying server...
>Connected to server.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6389.0 (elephant) ready.
>user MyUserName
>+OK
>pass MyPassWord
>-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>quit
>+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6389.0 signing off.
>Connection closed by foreign host.

>IMAP also give a username/password failure

>the same user is able to logon normal to windows

>does somebody have any idee?

>Thanks in advance
>Maurice Lucas

Does it work if the user logs on with the following format
"DOMAIN\USERID\ALIAS"

logon failure POP and IMAP

Post by msluca » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 01:29:41

> >hello,

> >I have one user with the following error on a Win2000 server with
exchange
> >2000

> >telnet server 110
> >Trying server...
> >Connected to server.
> >Escape character is '^]'.
> >+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6389.0 (elephant)
ready.
> >user MyUserName
> >+OK
> >pass MyPassWord
> >-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
> >quit
> >+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6389.0 signing off.
> >Connection closed by foreign host.

> >IMAP also give a username/password failure

> >the same user is able to logon normal to windows

> >does somebody have any idee?

> >Thanks in advance
> >Maurice Lucas

> Does it work if the user logs on with the following format
> "DOMAIN\USERID\ALIAS"

trying as username domain\alias didn't work for this user
another user was able to logon in this way

Where can i increase the amount of logging?
So every attempt/failure will be writen to the eventviewer

maurice lucas

logon failure POP and IMAP

Post by Mark Arnold [MVP » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:52:09

>> >hello,

>> >I have one user with the following error on a Win2000 server with
>exchange
>> >2000

>> >telnet server 110
>> >Trying server...
>> >Connected to server.
>> >Escape character is '^]'.
>> >+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6389.0 (elephant)
>ready.
>> >user MyUserName
>> >+OK
>> >pass MyPassWord
>> >-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>> >quit
>> >+OK Microsoft Exchange 2000 POP3 server version 6.0.6389.0 signing off.
>> >Connection closed by foreign host.

>> >IMAP also give a username/password failure

>> >the same user is able to logon normal to windows

>> >does somebody have any idee?

>> >Thanks in advance
>> >Maurice Lucas

>> Does it work if the user logs on with the following format
>> "DOMAIN\USERID\ALIAS"

>trying as username domain\alias didn't work for this user
>another user was able to logon in this way

>Where can i increase the amount of logging?
>So every attempt/failure will be writen to the eventviewer

>maurice lucas

I said DOMAIN\USERID\ALIAS
Let me ask a different way, is the alias the same as the logon id?
you can up the logging from the properties of the server and the
diagnostics loggin tab.

logon failure POP and IMAP

Post by msluca » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 19:00:36

[SNIP]

Quote:> I said DOMAIN\USERID\ALIAS
> Let me ask a different way, is the alias the same as the logon id?
> you can up the logging from the properties of the server and the
> diagnostics loggin tab.

Sorry,
DOMAIN\USERID\ALIAS worked perfectly

due to more logging i was able to find more info

For the archive
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fservicedesks%2Fbin%...

thanks again

Maurice Lucas

1. POP/IMAP Virtual Server Failure

I have an exchange 2k box which has been running fine for
some months (SP3).

Yesterday users have started to be unable to pop mail
from the server. Upon investigation (telnet into server
on port 110) I note that the POP server welcome message
is getting displayed and the the conenction is being
dropped.

Outlook / Exchange connector is still working fine as is
the smtp server etc. I have rebooted, reinstalled
exchange and sp3, removed the virtual server and
recreated it, tried different ports - all the usual
suspects - but to no avail.

I have no restrictions on the availability of the pop3
server so that shouldn't be an issue (and it still
happens even if I explicitly set my machine to be allowed
and try).

I am looking for ideas as my users are starting to get a
little irate!!!

Help will be gratefully recieved!

Cheers,

Matt Quinn

2. Invalid GAL Entry for Deleted Public Folder

3. Logon failure error on IMAP connection

4. Convert address book

5. "-ERR Logon failure", trying to POP authenticate (5.5)

6. No fax icon on tool bar in Exchange 4.0

7. POP Logon failure

8. Public Folders Admin

9. -ERR Logon failure, when connecting to POP server (5.5)

10. Selective POP or IMAP for specific users in 5.5

11. Selective POP or IMAP to users in 5.5

12. POP and IMAP no Longer works after SP2

13. Failure in POP3, IMAP and MS Exchange Routing Engine