Having problems assigning ownership to distribution lists in Exchange 2000

Having problems assigning ownership to distribution lists in Exchange 2000

Post by Rob Gordo » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 07:56:26

I believe I'm properly assigning a user permissions to update and modify
global distribution groups, but for some reason when I assign a "Managed By"
user to a distribution group in AD User and Computers, the user can't make
changes to the distribution list through Outlook 2002.

Are there other permissions considerations I need to take into account?  The
person being assigned as the manager of the list is a domain user, and has
an Exchange account.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:11:31

>I believe I'm properly assigning a user permissions to update and modify
>global distribution groups, but for some reason when I assign a "Managed By"
>user to a distribution group in AD User and Computers, the user can't make
>changes to the distribution list through Outlook 2002.

"Managed by" is just documentary. It does nothing.

Quote:>Are there other permissions considerations I need to take into account?  The
>person being assigned as the manager of the list is a domain user, and has
>an Exchange account.

Use the "Permissions" tab on the group. Click the "Advanced" button
and assign the people you want to manage the groups the "Write
members" property right.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Having problems assigning ownership to distribution lists in Exchange 2000

Post by bobo » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 13:23:05

this article may help:

XADM: Users Listed in the Managed by Box Are Unable to Manage Groups
(Q281489)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fsearch%2fviewDoc.as...
cID%3dKC.Q281489%26dialogID%3d8402641%26iterationID%3d1%26sessionID%3danonym
ous%7c6197232

Quote:> I believe I'm properly assigning a user permissions to update and modify
> global distribution groups, but for some reason when I assign a "Managed
By"
> user to a distribution group in AD User and Computers, the user can't make
> changes to the distribution list through Outlook 2002.

> Are there other permissions considerations I need to take into account?
The
> person being assigned as the manager of the list is a domain user, and has
> an Exchange account.

Having problems assigning ownership to distribution lists in Exchange 2000

Post by Robert Gordo » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 16:07:27

If the user isn't listed in the Advanced Properties listing, should I just
manually add them and grant them the "Write Members" permission?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 02:01:34

>If the user isn't listed in the Advanced Properties listing, should I just
>manually add them and grant them the "Write Members" permission?

That's correct.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Having problems assigning ownership to distribution lists in Exchange 2000

I believe I'm properly assigning a user permissions to update and modify
global distribution groups, but for some reason when I assign a "Managed By"
user to a distribution group in AD User and Computers, the user can't make
changes to the distribution list through Outlook 2002.

Are there other permissions considerations I need to take into account?  The
person being assigned as the manager of the list is a domain user, and has
an Exchange account.

2. Disappearing signatures

3. Ownership of distribution lists in Exchange 2000 question

4. Sending NDRs in different languages

5. Distribution List ownership problems

6. Have to occasional clean mailbox?

7. Distribution List Ownership

8. MS-TNEF Mime encoded file

9. Distribution List Ownership/Modification

10. Distribution List Ownership

11. Distribution List Ownership Weirdness.

12. Distribution list ownership

13. Distribution List Ownership