How to change org/site name in Exchange 5.5 SP3

How to change org/site name in Exchange 5.5 SP3

Post by Sergi » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:15:31

I'm going to setup a migration process from an old server Exchange 5.5 to a
new Exchange 2000 (new hardware).
Reading the white paper I've found some note about Invalid character in
Site/Org name of the Exchange 5.5 (i.e _, .)

I need to rename both site and org name. Is there any problems and does
someone know how to make it ?

Thanks

Sergio

How to change org/site name in Exchange 5.5 SP3

Post by Mark Arnold [MVP » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:27:35

You can use the Move Server Wizard to effectivley rename
the org/site.
If you're going to 2000 why not look at methodology that
lets you go from old to new as a migration strategy
rather than an upgrade strategy.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I'm going to setup a migration process from an old

server Exchange 5.5 to a
Quote:>new Exchange 2000 (new hardware).
>Reading the white paper I've found some note about

Invalid character in
Quote:>Site/Org name of the Exchange 5.5 (i.e _, .)

>I need to rename both site and org name. Is there any
problems and does
>someone know how to make it ?

>Thanks

>Sergio

>.

How to change org/site name in Exchange 5.5 SP3

Post by Sergio Brer » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:27:12

Effectly I'm going to setup a migration strategy in which a new server will
be setup with Exchnage 2000 server and the old one stay with Windows NT 4.0

I was worried about some messages read in MS Whitepaper about Illegal
character used in Site/org name

Any others tips ?

Sergio

Quote:> You can use the Move Server Wizard to effectivley rename
> the org/site.
> If you're going to 2000 why not look at methodology that
> lets you go from old to new as a migration strategy
> rather than an upgrade strategy.

Post by Neil Hobso » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:19:45

I wouldn't use the Move Server Wizard in this scenario; that's a
sledgehammer to crack a nut.

You can simply change the DISPLAY name of your Organisation and Site to
something new, without the illegal characters.  The display name you are
free to change; the directory name cannot be changed, but this doesn't
matter.

The organisation display name will become your new E2k organisation name,
and your site display name will become your new first admin group name.

--
Neil Hobson

Silversands
http://www.silversands.co.uk

> Effectly I'm going to setup a migration strategy in which a new server
will
> be setup with Exchnage 2000 server and the old one stay with Windows NT
4.0

> I was worried about some messages read in MS Whitepaper about Illegal
> character used in Site/org name

> Any others tips ?

> Sergio

> > You can use the Move Server Wizard to effectivley rename
> > the org/site.
> > If you're going to 2000 why not look at methodology that
> > lets you go from old to new as a migration strategy
> > rather than an upgrade strategy.

1. How to change the Org and Site name on a exchange server 5.5

well i have these 3 exchange servers at this one company that has been
bought and the have to change the org name and site name on all 3 servers is
there a way to rename the org and stie with out downloading all the mail
local then setting up the new org names and site names

Thanks,
matt

Matt Simmons
GIM Electronics

2. OWA with 2 NICs behind 2 routers not working

3. Impact of changing 5.5 org/site names?

4. Incorrect recipient address funneling to one valid recipient address.

5. Site connectors when Organisation name is different/changing org name

6. Move Server

7. Impact of site/org name change?

8. Outlook98/Exchange Server 5.5 Problems....

9. site/org name change

10. Org, Site and Server name change

11. Site and Org name changes

12. Org and site name change