question regarding message size limits

Post by Lars » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 06:01:41

I have 1 Exchange 2000 Server (SP2) running on Windows 2000 Server (SP3)
BDC.  Using the following settings:

Global Settings
  >> Message Delivery > Defaults
    >>> Sending Message Size = 1500 KB
    >>> Receiving Message Size = 1500 KB

Connector Setting
Administrative Groups > Administrative Group Name > Routing Groups > Routing
Group Name > Connectors > Default SMTP Connector
  >> Content Restrictions > Allowed Sizes > Only messages less than = 10000
KB

SMTP Virtual Server Settings
Administrative Groups > Administrative Group Name > Servers > Server Name >
Protocols > SMTP > Default SMTP Virtual Server
  >> Messages > Limit Message Size = 10000 KB

User Mailbox Setting (ADUC)
Exchange General > Delivery Restrictions
  >> Sending message size > Maximum KB = 10000
  >> Receiving message size > Maximum KB = 10000

As I understand it, the User Mailbox setting should override the default
setting of Global Settings. Is this correct?  I am the 'user', and I cannot
send messages greater than the 1500 KB of Gloabl Settings.  Is this an
incorrect assumption on my part, or a bug in the system???  What would be
the best way to limit most users to a small 1500 KB by default and allow
others to send/receive larger messages?  ...another SMTP connector?  Thank
you in advance.

~Lars

question regarding message size limits

Post by Dan » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:18:46

I would go in the opposite direction.  Use a larger
default value in the global settings and the lower value
for the users that you want to restrict.

Dan

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have 1 Exchange 2000 Server (SP2) running on Windows
2000 Server (SP3)
>BDC.  Using the following settings:

>Global Settings
>  >> Message Delivery > Defaults
>    >>> Sending Message Size = 1500 KB
>    >>> Receiving Message Size = 1500 KB

>Connector Setting
>Administrative Groups > Administrative Group Name >

Routing Groups > Routing
Quote:>Group Name > Connectors > Default SMTP Connector
>  >> Content Restrictions > Allowed Sizes > Only

messages less than = 10000
Quote:>KB

>SMTP Virtual Server Settings
>Administrative Groups > Administrative Group Name >

Servers > Server Name >
Quote:>Protocols > SMTP > Default SMTP Virtual Server
>  >> Messages > Limit Message Size = 10000 KB

>User Mailbox Setting (ADUC)
>Exchange General > Delivery Restrictions
>  >> Sending message size > Maximum KB = 10000
>  >> Receiving message size > Maximum KB = 10000

>As I understand it, the User Mailbox setting should

override the default
Quote:>setting of Global Settings. Is this correct?  I am

the 'user', and I cannot
Quote:>send messages greater than the 1500 KB of Gloabl

Settings.  Is this an
Quote:>incorrect assumption on my part, or a bug in the

system???  What would be
Quote:>the best way to limit most users to a small 1500 KB by
default and allow
>others to send/receive larger messages?  ...another SMTP
connector?  Thank
>you in advance.

>~Lars

>.

question regarding message size limits

Post by Lars » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:16:41

Thank you Dan, for replying.  I can't say for certain, but I thought it was
the other way in Ex5.5   Now I know better.

~Lars

Quote:> I would go in the opposite direction.  Use a larger
> default value in the global settings and the lower value
> for the users that you want to restrict.

> Dan

1. limits question - regard exchange 2000 and outlook

Hi all,

i have read that outlook has the following limitations when using a pst file

Max PST file size 2Gb
max number of records in a pst 60,000

are there any limitations similar to this when when using exchange 2000 as
the primary mail storage?  as we have a mail journal account, that our
directors use for email monitoring and i wish to ensure that this is visible
at all times

Many thanks
Simon Whale

2. How to set up NDR

3. Incoming message exceed message size limit warning

4. Creating an Anonymous Folder

5. Database Size Limit Question

6. Can't start Exchange Admin snap-in

7. Exchange 2003 question about database size limit

8. How to Authorize the user and password from web browser

9. Mailbox Size Limit Question

10. Exchange Mailbox Received message limited size

11. Limit message Size

12. Message Limit Size

13. Database size limits message