URGENT - Help needed on IS recovery

Post by Ondrej Varosca » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I would appreciate any help / advice :

Our Exchange 5.5 server crashed during night because of power shortage,
server was not backed up by autoshutdown UPS. IS service was unable to start
pointing to an error because of inconsistent database. We tried to run
ESEUTIL /P to recover the PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB, but in both cases it shows
scanning, some lines of error messages and then it starts to rebuild tables.
Whole proces than seemed to stall, occupying whole system memory and using
98-99% processor time. It lasted for more than 14 hours, but temporary
database was all the time at 1,032 K.
Then we stopped the tries. We also tried to recover the database on newly
installed NT / Exchange, but without any difference. Does anyone know if the
database can be damaged so badly that it cannot be recovered ? Is there any
other possibility, did we ommit something ?
Database files are PUB.EDB having some 152 MB and PRIV.EDB with 2GB of size.

Thanks in advance

Ondrej Varoscak

URGENT - Help needed on IS recovery

Post by B » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Yes it is possible to have a database file damaged beyond repair.

The Eseutil utiltiy was designed to run through a *.edb database in
it's entirety.  If it errors out you should be able to re-run the
utility and it "should" run past the part where it errored out the
first time.

After saying that...

I myself have come across databases where the Eseutil would error out.
I received event IDs #1206 on some and Dr. Watsons on others.
These databases were hosed.

I would go ahead and let the users have acces to the Exchange e-mail
system using a new Priv.edb and Pub.edb files.  This way you won't
hinder any further company production. If you should be able to repair
your old database then you can exmerge the new e-mail messages out of
the new databases and import them back into the old repaired database.

Build a test server (only need the NT OS nothing else) and copy your
EDB files to the test machine.  Also copy the Eseutil.exe and the
ESE.dll files from the \\WinNT\system32 directory on the Exchange
production server to the same directory where you placed the Bad EDB
files.

Syntax: Eseutil /p <path to edb file + filename>

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 18:44:25 +0100, "Ondrej Varoscak"

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Our Exchange 5.5 server crashed during night because of power shortage,
>server was not backed up by autoshutdown UPS. IS service was unable to start
>pointing to an error because of inconsistent database. We tried to run
>ESEUTIL /P to recover the PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB, but in both cases it shows
>scanning, some lines of error messages and then it starts to rebuild tables.
>Whole proces than seemed to stall, occupying whole system memory and using
>98-99% processor time. It lasted for more than 14 hours, but temporary
>database was all the time at 1,032 K.
>Then we stopped the tries. We also tried to recover the database on newly
>installed NT / Exchange, but without any difference. Does anyone know if the
>database can be damaged so badly that it cannot be recovered ? Is there any
>other possibility, did we ommit something ?

The correct approach to this is to restore the database and all log
files from your backups and then restart the Information Store. The
ESEUTIL isn't a "recovery" tool, it's a "repair" tool. And just like
any database the Exchange database files can be damaged badly enough
that they cannot be repaired.

As with any other database, try to return to a known state before
attempting any recovery or repair.

URGENT - Help needed on IS recovery

Post by Ondrej Varosca » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thanks a lot, my approach now is :

I have reinstalled the Exhcange server and started with new databases, I was
able to recover directory so I have not lost any mailbox (except for their
contents), I have run ISINTEG - PATCH to match GUID of new store databases.
Then I have installed new Pentium Xeon 450 server with 70 GB RAID and
installed NT 4 SP3, copied there eseutil and dll and run the repair process
on PRIV.EDB. The server seems to be working, I have stopped all unnecessary
services and explorer, and I assigned highest priority to eseutil.exe
Eseutil scanned the database, listed some errors and now is in state
"Repairing long value refcounts" for more than 12 hours. Last time I
accidentally stopped the program and i found REPAIR.EDB, having size of 130
MB after some 16 hours of server working. So I found that it probably works
and I let it running as long as I will be patient. My database has some 2
GB, so according to above mentioned it can take whole week to repair it.
Because of unapropriate approach of our Exchange administrator, there are no
online backups at all, there is one offline backup from Dec. 22, but it is
corrupted.

Thank you again for support, now I have to wait until ESEUTIL finishes.

P.S: Is the eseutil mutlithreaded ? Does it have any sense to add more
processors to the system and probably more memory to speed-up the process ?

Ondrej Varoscak
moderator cz.microsoft.podpora.hydra

Post by Rich Matheis » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I have reinstalled the Exhcange server and started with new databases, I was
>able to recover directory so I have not lost any mailbox (except for their
>contents), I have run ISINTEG - PATCH to match GUID of new store databases.
>Then I have installed new Pentium Xeon 450 server with 70 GB RAID and
>installed NT 4 SP3, copied there eseutil and dll and run the repair process
>on PRIV.EDB. The server seems to be working, I have stopped all unnecessary
>services and explorer, and I assigned highest priority to eseutil.exe
>Eseutil scanned the database, listed some errors and now is in state
>"Repairing long value refcounts" for more than 12 hours.

This doesn't sound encouraging. On a 2GB database it shouldn't run
anywhere near that long.

Quote:>Last time I
>accidentally stopped the program and i found REPAIR.EDB, having size of 130
>MB after some 16 hours of server working. So I found that it probably works
>and I let it running as long as I will be patient. My database has some 2
>GB, so according to above mentioned it can take whole week to repair it.

Or it may _never_ finish, no matter how long you let it run.

Quote:>Because of unapropriate approach of our Exchange administrator, there are no
>online backups at all, there is one offline backup from Dec. 22, but it is
>corrupted.

>Thank you again for support, now I have to wait until ESEUTIL finishes.

>P.S: Is the eseutil mutlithreaded ? Does it have any sense to add more
>processors to the system and probably more memory to speed-up the process ?

I don't recall if the ESEUTIL is multithreaded, but you you can esily
find out. Start the PerfMon, select the "Process" object, select the
counter "Thread Count" and then the ESEUTIL instance. Look at the
"last," "min" and "max" items.

1. Urgent help needed - disaster recovery issue

Hi

I have an exchange 5.5 server running on 2000 server, I have recently had to
do a complete rebuild from scratch and unfortunately I only have offline
backups available.

I have restored using offline backups loads of times before and never had
this problem.

The problem is near the end of the process - when you have to run
isinteg -patch.

When I run it I get the following error - DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS

The new server has the exact same site, server, and organisation names, and
all db paths are the same -I am stumped.

Any ideas (really any ideas, regardless of how stupid they may sound)

Cheers

Paul Adam

2. Admin Permissions after service Pack

3. Cannot delete E-mails in Outlook

4. Urgent.......Help Needed...Urgent.......Help Needed...Urgent.......Help Needed...

5. NNTP and Exchange 5.5

6. evnet ID 4083 urgent, urgent, urgent......help, help....very urgent

7. Web Servers used with Exchange 5.5

8. URGENT Installing OWA in a different site then localhost URGENT help needed

9. HELP - Need Advice Quick by Tomorrow AM - Boss messed up server