Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Post by IanB » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just upgraded a users to Outlook 98 from 97. We use MSMAIL and exchange
5.5. Now the user is unable to use exchange - when he checks the mailbox
name in Tools, Services, he gets the message:

The name could not be resolved...........etc

If I enter the IP of the machine, the user can verify the mailbox but mail
can't be sent. Also, the global address list is offline.

Any thoughts/advice please. I've gone through the obvious WINS settings and
reinstalled Outlook 98.

Thanks

IanB

Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Post by Vince Averello [MVP - Outlook » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

Try entering the name & IP address of the Exchange Server into your HOSTS
and/or LMHOSTS file

>Hi,

>I've just upgraded a users to Outlook 98 from 97. We use MSMAIL and
exchange
>5.5. Now the user is unable to use exchange - when he checks the mailbox
>name in Tools, Services, he gets the message:

>The name could not be resolved...........etc

>If I enter the IP of the machine, the user can verify the mailbox but mail
>can't be sent. Also, the global address list is offline.

>Any thoughts/advice please. I've gone through the obvious WINS settings and
>reinstalled Outlook 98.

Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Post by IanB » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

Thanks Vince - I tried this to no avail. All other users are OK and I can
see the problem user's mailbox from other machines so it's got to be
something local to his machine. I did an overaly install of WIN95 as well.

The only thing that I can see is that the number of Exchange Server
References in the troubled user's registry is a lot less than a user that is
working OK. It's as though Outlook did not register itself properly.

Mmmmmmmm

>Try entering the name & IP address of the Exchange Server into your HOSTS
>and/or LMHOSTS file

>>Hi,

>>I've just upgraded a users to Outlook 98 from 97. We use MSMAIL and
>exchange
>>5.5. Now the user is unable to use exchange - when he checks the mailbox
>>name in Tools, Services, he gets the message:

>>The name could not be resolved...........etc

>>If I enter the IP of the machine, the user can verify the mailbox but mail
>>can't be sent. Also, the global address list is offline.

>>Any thoughts/advice please. I've gone through the obvious WINS settings
and
>>reinstalled Outlook 98.

Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Post by Vince Averello [MVP - Outlook » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

You could always do the 'tried & true' deinstall/reinstall dance...

>Thanks Vince - I tried this to no avail. All other users are OK and I can
>see the problem user's mailbox from other machines so it's got to be
>something local to his machine. I did an overaly install of WIN95 as well.

>The only thing that I can see is that the number of Exchange Server
>References in the troubled user's registry is a lot less than a user that
is
>working OK. It's as though Outlook did not register itself properly.

Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Post by IanB » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

Thanks Vince - I tried this to no avail. All other users are OK and I can
see the problem user's mailbox from other machines so it's got to be
something local to his machine. I did an overaly install of WIN95 as well.

The only thing that I can see is that the number of Exchange Server
References in the troubled user's registry is a lot less than a user that is
working OK. It's as though Outlook did not register itself properly.

Mmmmmmmm

>Try entering the name & IP address of the Exchange Server into your HOSTS
>and/or LMHOSTS file

>>Hi,

>>I've just upgraded a users to Outlook 98 from 97. We use MSMAIL and
>exchange
>>5.5. Now the user is unable to use exchange - when he checks the mailbox
>>name in Tools, Services, he gets the message:

>>The name could not be resolved...........etc

>>If I enter the IP of the machine, the user can verify the mailbox but mail
>>can't be sent. Also, the global address list is offline.

>>Any thoughts/advice please. I've gone through the obvious WINS settings
and
>>reinstalled Outlook 98.

Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Post by Ian Burges » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

Been there, done that. I did an uninstall from the Outlook 98 CD, then I
re-installed - still no luck. This thing is really screwing me up!!!

IanB

>You could always do the 'tried & true' deinstall/reinstall dance...

>>Thanks Vince - I tried this to no avail. All other users are OK and I can
>>see the problem user's mailbox from other machines so it's got to be
>>something local to his machine. I did an overaly install of WIN95 as well.

>>The only thing that I can see is that the number of Exchange Server
>>References in the troubled user's registry is a lot less than a user that
>is
>>working OK. It's as though Outlook did not register itself properly.

Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Post by Greg Aske » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

Do you have any other protocols on the 95 PC in addition to TCPIP?

If you run WINIPCFG /ALL on the 95 PC, what is the node type, and
are there WINS servers defined at the bottom?
--
Greg Askew

> Been there, done that. I did an uninstall from the Outlook 98 CD, then I
> re-installed - still no luck. This thing is really screwing me up!!!

> IanB

> >You could always do the 'tried & true' deinstall/reinstall dance...

> >>Thanks Vince - I tried this to no avail. All other users are OK and I can
> >>see the problem user's mailbox from other machines so it's got to be
> >>something local to his machine. I did an overaly install of WIN95 as well.

> >>The only thing that I can see is that the number of Exchange Server
> >>References in the troubled user's registry is a lot less than a user that
> >is
> >>working OK. It's as though Outlook did not register itself properly.

1. Help!! Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

Hi,

I've just upgraded a users to Outlook 98 from 97. We use MSMAIL and exchange
5.5. Now the user is unable to use exchange - when he checks the mailbox
name in Tools, Services, he gets the message:

The name could not be resolved...........etc

If I enter the IP of the machine, the user can verify the mailbox but mail
can't be sent. Also, the global address list is offline.

Any thoughts/advice please. I've gone through the obvious WINS settings and
reinstalled Outlook 98.

Thanks

IanB

2. REVERSE DNS LOOKUP FOR SECURITY

3. recovering deleted emails

4. Sharing Web Favorites in Exchange?

5. Overcome limitation of LDAP in Exchange 5.5 using paging

6. name not resolved help help help wierd error

7. name not resolved help help help

8. the exchange server name could not be resolved

9. Exchange Server Name could not be resolved

10. Please help, Error The name could not be resolved