Exchange mailbox high availability

Post by Marlon Brow » Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:20:54

I read
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...

and I have some questions on how setup high available mailbox servers in my
environment.

On MyMain building I have 1 Exchange 2000 connector and my (2) Exchange 2000
mailbox servers.

A mile away on another building (Building 2, connected via fiber) I have a
standby server that I could use to restore one of the mailbox in case of
failure. However restoring Exchange would take several hours. The idea is
that this Building2 has independent network connectivity and power from
MyMainBuilding and I would like to take advantage of that and setup another
'hot' mailbox servers there.

What would be the best way to implement a highly available mailbox solution
in Building 2 ? Would clustering work well in my situation since  machines
will be far apart from each other ?

Exchange mailbox high availability

Post by Al Mulnic » Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:54:16

Clustering is a possibility for a solution but does not solve everything.
For example, clustering won't help you restore service if the db goes
corrupt on you.  What then?

Highly available requires some definition to be properly achieved.  When you
say 'Highly Available' are you referring to everyone?  Data?  Service?
What?

If you only want to keep service highly available, then RSG's are the way to
go along with a properly crafted expectation of availability.  If you need
the data, then VSS and possibly some geo-clustering may be the way to go in
your situation.  For many, 1 mile wouldn't be worth doing in case of
disaster recovery planning since things can happen in a 1 mile radius more
readily than, say if a continent were between them.

Al

Quote:> I read

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
Quote:

> and I have some questions on how setup high available mailbox servers in
my
> environment.

> On MyMain building I have 1 Exchange 2000 connector and my (2) Exchange
2000
> mailbox servers.

> A mile away on another building (Building 2, connected via fiber) I have a
> standby server that I could use to restore one of the mailbox in case of
> failure. However restoring Exchange would take several hours. The idea is
> that this Building2 has independent network connectivity and power from
> MyMainBuilding and I would like to take advantage of that and setup
another
> 'hot' mailbox servers there.

> What would be the best way to implement a highly available mailbox
solution
> in Building 2 ? Would clustering work well in my situation since  machines
> will be far apart from each other ?

Exchange mailbox high availability

Post by Marlon Brow » Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:46:32

I want my data available and cause minimal interruption to users in case of
network, hardware failure or even db goesd down.

The problem here is that I have Win2K AD and Exch 2000 Server.

VSS and RSG are Exchange 2003 services. That means it would be worthed
upgrade to Win2003/Exchange 2003 then ?

> Clustering is a possibility for a solution but does not solve everything.
> For example, clustering won't help you restore service if the db goes
> corrupt on you.  What then?

> Highly available requires some definition to be properly achieved.  When
you
> say 'Highly Available' are you referring to everyone?  Data?  Service?
> What?

> If you only want to keep service highly available, then RSG's are the way
> go along with a properly crafted expectation of availability.  If you need
> the data, then VSS and possibly some geo-clustering may be the way to go
in
> your situation.  For many, 1 mile wouldn't be worth doing in case of
> disaster recovery planning since things can happen in a 1 mile radius more
> readily than, say if a continent were between them.

> Al

> > I read

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...

Quote:

> > and I have some questions on how setup high available mailbox servers in
> my
> > environment.

> > On MyMain building I have 1 Exchange 2000 connector and my (2) Exchange
> 2000
> > mailbox servers.

> > A mile away on another building (Building 2, connected via fiber) I have
> > standby server that I could use to restore one of the mailbox in case of
> > failure. However restoring Exchange would take several hours. The idea
is
> > that this Building2 has independent network connectivity and power from
> > MyMainBuilding and I would like to take advantage of that and setup
> another
> > 'hot' mailbox servers there.

> > What would be the best way to implement a highly available mailbox
> solution
> > in Building 2 ? Would clustering work well in my situation since
machines
> > will be far apart from each other ?

1. Exchange 5.5 and high-availability...

We're deploying a failover site and one of the machines we want to have a hot
standy of is our Exchange 5.5 server.  Does Exchange provide such
functionality?  I.e., is it possible to set up a secondary Exchange server to
which the primary replicates?

Thanks!

2. Frustration with accessing CDO remotely (DCOM)

3. Exchange and High Availability

4. Exchange 5.5 Pop3Connector not forcing modem to dial-out

5. MS Exchange 5.5 and High Availability

6. Failure Audit

7. Exchange Server High Availability

8. OWA stopped Unexpectedly

9. High Availability on Exchange server

10. Exchange server high availability problem

11. High Availability

12. Redundancy and High Availability

13. high availability