Event Service not starting Error 2140

Post by Jim Volp » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Ever since I recovered Exchange 5.5 onto a new machine, I've gotten a
Services dialog box saying it could not start the Microsoft Exchange Event
Service, reporting, "Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error occurred" when
I tried to start the Event Service. The Event Log records the following:

Event ID: 0
Source: MSExchangeES
Type: None
Category: General
successfully.

Event ID: 5
Source: MSExchangeES
Type: Error
Category: General
0x80004005).

Event ID: 1
Source: MSExchangeES
Type: None
Category: General

I searched the TechNet and found

Q182082

When you configure a different server to be the Public Folder server, the
Event Service fails to start and logs the following sequence of events in
the Windows NT Event Log:

Event ID : 0
Source : MSExchangeES
Type : Informational
Category : General
Started successfully.

Event ID : 5
Source : MSExchangeES
Type : Error
Category : General
was [0x80004005].

Event ID : 1
Source : MSExchangeES
Type : Informational
Category : General

We have no other Exchange servers in this Organization. True enough, since I
migrated Exchange to a different machine, it is technically a different
server. But does that mean I can no longer use my Event Service? Is there
something I can do to get my Event Service to work again?

Jim Volpi
Cherokee Information Services, Inc.

Event Service not starting Error 2140

Post by Matthias Behnk » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:> Ever since I recovered Exchange 5.5 onto a new machine, I've gotten a
> Services dialog box saying it could not start the Microsoft Exchange Event
> Service, reporting, "Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error occurred"
when
> I tried to start the Event Service. The Event Log records the following:
> We have no other Exchange servers in this Organization. True enough, since
> migrated Exchange to a different machine, it is technically a different
> server. But does that mean I can no longer use my Event Service? Is there
> something I can do to get my Event Service to work again?

Try checking the nt-registry for this specific service under
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeES . If there are some
parameters which are pointing to wrong places or if for example the key
"Parameters" is accidently changed to "Parameter" the error 2140 occurs.
Just compare it with one of the other Exchange-Services. Perhaps you will
find an error.

Greetings
Od0

1. Event Service not starting Error 2140

[...]

2. Scheduled appointments automatically being replaced!?

3. Exchange Event Service does not start - Error 2140

4. archiving solutions

5. 2140 error - can't start exchange event service

6. Icons in outlook forms

7. error #2140 starting EXCH Event Service

8. Automatic replies

9. MTA not starting NT error 2140 in Event log

10. Can not start Exchnage directory sync service, error 2140

11. Could not start microsoft exchange internet mail connector service - error 2140

12. Error 2140: NT internal error when starting Directory service

13. Starting ME Internet Mail Service gives error 2140 (Internal Windows Error)