ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Richard Gizini » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 05:29:24

I am trying to install the Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange.
I keep getting the following error when I try to get past the screen where
you enter the mailbox alias, username, password, and domain:
Failed to get information for the specified account, EC=1314

Along with the information in the readme file I also performed steps in the
following to CAI links
http://support.cai.com/techbases/asnt/16049.html
http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1400.html

I also went through this FAQ -
http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1401.html

I did not install Outlook per the follwing MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q266418

Instead I created a MAPI Profile with:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306962
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228736

using profman2 (profman.exe) in the archive

I logged into the Exchange server as my new user and created a mapi profile
for him/her/it.

I then _again_ tried to install the agent and it failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and shared with others in the future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Keith Crosb » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:09:14

I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
straightened out.

I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A Service
rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right assigned.
The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It must be
exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems odd to
me, but it works.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Quote:> I am trying to install the Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange.
> I keep getting the following error when I try to get past the screen where
> you enter the mailbox alias, username, password, and domain:
> Failed to get information for the specified account, EC=1314

> Along with the information in the readme file I also performed steps in
the
> following to CAI links
> http://support.cai.com/techbases/asnt/16049.html
> http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1400.html

> I also went through this FAQ -
> http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1401.html

> I did not install Outlook per the follwing MS KB article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q266418

> Instead I created a MAPI Profile with:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306962
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228736

> using profman2 (profman.exe) in the archive

> I logged into the Exchange server as my new user and created a mapi
profile
> for him/her/it.

> I then _again_ tried to install the agent and it failed.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated and shared with others in the
future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Richard Gizini » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:45:21

I actually got disgusted with the fact that I was unable to talk to anyone
about the initial installation unless I paid $95.00.  I think all I needed
to do was install Outlook 2000 on the Exchange 2000 server, but MS says do
not do it.  Since I needed to decide to believe either MS or CA I picked MS.

I am in the process of buying Veritas Backup Exec.  I do not recall
installing their Exchange agent and I hope I do not run into the same
problem.  But if I do, I know that they actually respond to the free e-mail
support messages as I have used that before.  I am still waiting a response
from CA, hehe.

> I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
> straightened out.

> I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
> Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A Service
> rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right assigned.
> The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It must
be
> exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems odd to
> me, but it works.

> Hope this helps.

> Keith

> > I am trying to install the Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange.
> > I keep getting the following error when I try to get past the screen
where
> > you enter the mailbox alias, username, password, and domain:
> > Failed to get information for the specified account, EC=1314

> > Along with the information in the readme file I also performed steps in
> the
> > following to CAI links
> > http://support.cai.com/techbases/asnt/16049.html
> > http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1400.html

> > I also went through this FAQ -
> > http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1401.html

> > I did not install Outlook per the follwing MS KB article:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q266418

> > Instead I created a MAPI Profile with:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306962
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228736

> > using profman2 (profman.exe) in the archive

> > I logged into the Exchange server as my new user and created a mapi
> profile
> > for him/her/it.

> > I then _again_ tried to install the agent and it failed.

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated and shared with others in the
> future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Keith Crosb » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:48:36

From what I understand, you only need Outlook installed if you want to do a
bricks level backup.

Keith

> I actually got disgusted with the fact that I was unable to talk to anyone
> about the initial installation unless I paid $95.00.  I think all I needed
> to do was install Outlook 2000 on the Exchange 2000 server, but MS says do
> not do it.  Since I needed to decide to believe either MS or CA I picked
MS.

> I am in the process of buying Veritas Backup Exec.  I do not recall
> installing their Exchange agent and I hope I do not run into the same
> problem.  But if I do, I know that they actually respond to the free
e-mail
> support messages as I have used that before.  I am still waiting a
response
> from CA, hehe.

> > I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
> > straightened out.

> > I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
> > Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A
Service
> > rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right
assigned.
> > The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It must
> be
> > exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems odd
> > me, but it works.

> > Hope this helps.

> > Keith

> > > I am trying to install the Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange.
> > > I keep getting the following error when I try to get past the screen
> where
> > > you enter the mailbox alias, username, password, and domain:
> > > Failed to get information for the specified account, EC=1314

> > > Along with the information in the readme file I also performed steps
in
> > the
> > > following to CAI links
> > > http://support.cai.com/techbases/asnt/16049.html
> > > http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1400.html

> > > I also went through this FAQ -
> > > http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1401.html

> > > I did not install Outlook per the follwing MS KB article:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q266418

> > > Instead I created a MAPI Profile with:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306962
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228736

> > > using profman2 (profman.exe) in the archive

> > > I logged into the Exchange server as my new user and created a mapi
> > profile
> > > for him/her/it.

> > > I then _again_ tried to install the agent and it failed.

> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated and shared with others in the
> > future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Richard Gizini » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 01:40:40

You are correct.  I plan to do selective bricks level backups.

In theory you should only need a mapi profile, but I never could get an
answer from CA.

I suppose I will never know.

> From what I understand, you only need Outlook installed if you want to do
> bricks level backup.

> Keith

> > I actually got disgusted with the fact that I was unable to talk to
anyone
> > about the initial installation unless I paid $95.00.  I think all I
needed
> > to do was install Outlook 2000 on the Exchange 2000 server, but MS says
do
> > not do it.  Since I needed to decide to believe either MS or CA I picked
> MS.

> > I am in the process of buying Veritas Backup Exec.  I do not recall
> > installing their Exchange agent and I hope I do not run into the same
> > problem.  But if I do, I know that they actually respond to the free
> e-mail
> > support messages as I have used that before.  I am still waiting a
> response
> > from CA, hehe.

> > > I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
> > > straightened out.

> > > I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
> > > Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A
> Service
> > > rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right
> assigned.
> > > The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It
must
> > be
> > > exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems
odd
> > > me, but it works.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > Keith

> > where

> in
> > > the

> > > profile

> > > future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Dag » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:41:37

Very interesting to see the discussion.
We had the same problem and installing Outlook2000 the problem was solved
and no problems with running brick level back-up.

Dag

> I actually got disgusted with the fact that I was unable to talk to anyone
> about the initial installation unless I paid $95.00.  I think all I needed
> to do was install Outlook 2000 on the Exchange 2000 server, but MS says do
> not do it.  Since I needed to decide to believe either MS or CA I picked
MS.

> I am in the process of buying Veritas Backup Exec.  I do not recall
> installing their Exchange agent and I hope I do not run into the same
> problem.  But if I do, I know that they actually respond to the free
e-mail
> support messages as I have used that before.  I am still waiting a
response
> from CA, hehe.

> > I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
> > straightened out.

> > I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
> > Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A
Service
> > rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right
assigned.
> > The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It must
> be
> > exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems odd
> > me, but it works.

> > Hope this helps.

> > Keith

> > > I am trying to install the Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange.
> > > I keep getting the following error when I try to get past the screen
> where
> > > you enter the mailbox alias, username, password, and domain:
> > > Failed to get information for the specified account, EC=1314

> > > Along with the information in the readme file I also performed steps
in
> > the
> > > following to CAI links
> > > http://support.cai.com/techbases/asnt/16049.html
> > > http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1400.html

> > > I also went through this FAQ -
> > > http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1401.html

> > > I did not install Outlook per the follwing MS KB article:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q266418

> > > Instead I created a MAPI Profile with:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306962
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228736

> > > using profman2 (profman.exe) in the archive

> > > I logged into the Exchange server as my new user and created a mapi
> > profile
> > > for him/her/it.

> > > I then _again_ tried to install the agent and it failed.

> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated and shared with others in the
> > future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Richard Gizini » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:41:32

I am still waiting for an RMA for ArcServe, hehe.

Dag,
Are you running Exchange 2000?

The one thing I could not seem to get an answer to was if someone was
actually running Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000 on the same machine.

If you are, in what order did you install them?

> Very interesting to see the discussion.
> We had the same problem and installing Outlook2000 the problem was solved
> and no problems with running brick level back-up.

> Dag

> > I actually got disgusted with the fact that I was unable to talk to
anyone
> > about the initial installation unless I paid $95.00.  I think all I
needed
> > to do was install Outlook 2000 on the Exchange 2000 server, but MS says
do
> > not do it.  Since I needed to decide to believe either MS or CA I picked
> MS.

> > I am in the process of buying Veritas Backup Exec.  I do not recall
> > installing their Exchange agent and I hope I do not run into the same
> > problem.  But if I do, I know that they actually respond to the free
> e-mail
> > support messages as I have used that before.  I am still waiting a
> response
> > from CA, hehe.

> > > I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
> > > straightened out.

> > > I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
> > > Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A
> Service
> > > rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right
> assigned.
> > > The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It
must
> > be
> > > exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems
odd
> > > me, but it works.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > Keith

> > where

> in
> > > the

> > > profile

> > > future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Keith Crosb » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:22:08

How many mailboxes are you backing up and to what type of device?  How long
does it take.  We are backing up (well, trying to anyway) 120 mailboxes to a
DLT70 drive and it takes 8-10 hours.

Keith

> Very interesting to see the discussion.
> We had the same problem and installing Outlook2000 the problem was solved
> and no problems with running brick level back-up.

> Dag

> > I actually got disgusted with the fact that I was unable to talk to
anyone
> > about the initial installation unless I paid $95.00.  I think all I
needed
> > to do was install Outlook 2000 on the Exchange 2000 server, but MS says
do
> > not do it.  Since I needed to decide to believe either MS or CA I picked
> MS.

> > I am in the process of buying Veritas Backup Exec.  I do not recall
> > installing their Exchange agent and I hope I do not run into the same
> > problem.  But if I do, I know that they actually respond to the free
> e-mail
> > support messages as I have used that before.  I am still waiting a
> response
> > from CA, hehe.

> > > I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
> > > straightened out.

> > > I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
> > > Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A
> Service
> > > rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right
> assigned.
> > > The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It
must
> > be
> > > exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems
odd
> > > me, but it works.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > Keith

> > where

> in
> > > the

> > > profile

> > > future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Richard Gizini » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 05:26:59

Just installed Veritas Backup Exec 8.6.

No need for Outlook on the Exchange server, just the machine running BE.

I am now convinced that Outlook on the Exchange server would have solved the
problem.  It still bothers me that MS tells you that it is a bad idea but CA
decides to force you to do it anyway.  I wonder why CA doesn't/didn't just
do whatever Veritas did...

> I actually got disgusted with the fact that I was unable to talk to anyone
> about the initial installation unless I paid $95.00.  I think all I needed
> to do was install Outlook 2000 on the Exchange 2000 server, but MS says do
> not do it.  Since I needed to decide to believe either MS or CA I picked
MS.

> I am in the process of buying Veritas Backup Exec.  I do not recall
> installing their Exchange agent and I hope I do not run into the same
> problem.  But if I do, I know that they actually respond to the free
e-mail
> support messages as I have used that before.  I am still waiting a
response
> from CA, hehe.

> > I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
> > straightened out.

> > I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
> > Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A
Service
> > rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right
assigned.
> > The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It must
> be
> > exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems odd
> > me, but it works.

> > Hope this helps.

> > Keith

> > > I am trying to install the Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange.
> > > I keep getting the following error when I try to get past the screen
> where
> > > you enter the mailbox alias, username, password, and domain:
> > > Failed to get information for the specified account, EC=1314

> > > Along with the information in the readme file I also performed steps
in
> > the
> > > following to CAI links
> > > http://support.cai.com/techbases/asnt/16049.html
> > > http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1400.html

> > > I also went through this FAQ -
> > > http://support.ca.com/techbases/as2000/as2k-1401.html

> > > I did not install Outlook per the follwing MS KB article:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q266418

> > > Instead I created a MAPI Profile with:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306962
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228736

> > > using profman2 (profman.exe) in the archive

> > > I logged into the Exchange server as my new user and created a mapi
> > profile
> > > for him/her/it.

> > > I then _again_ tried to install the agent and it failed.

> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated and shared with others in the
> > future.

ArcServe 2000 Agent for Exchange Problem

Post by Greg Aske » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:42:22

They (CA) don't know about Exchange best practices.  You would also need
Outlook (or some other mapi client) if you wanted to use email alerts.  BE
trumps this again by providing SMTP (imagine that) email alert capability.

CA recently added the backup to folder/file capability via a hotfix.  That
was another area they were seriously deficient.

I don't mind paying for support, especially if it is below the three-digit
threshold.  The one time I called Veritas for support it was worth the $90.
The ability to articulate in English is another plus.

> Just installed Veritas Backup Exec 8.6.

> No need for Outlook on the Exchange server, just the machine running BE.

> I am now convinced that Outlook on the Exchange server would have solved
the
> problem.  It still bothers me that MS tells you that it is a bad idea but
CA
> decides to force you to do it anyway.  I wonder why CA doesn't/didn't just
> do whatever Veritas did...

> > I actually got disgusted with the fact that I was unable to talk to
anyone
> > about the initial installation unless I paid $95.00.  I think all I
needed
> > to do was install Outlook 2000 on the Exchange 2000 server, but MS says
do
> > not do it.  Since I needed to decide to believe either MS or CA I picked
> MS.

> > I am in the process of buying Veritas Backup Exec.  I do not recall
> > installing their Exchange agent and I hope I do not run into the same
> > problem.  But if I do, I know that they actually respond to the free
> e-mail
> > support messages as I have used that before.  I am still waiting a
> response
> > from CA, hehe.

> > > I had the same problem recently and it took a $95 call to CA to get it
> > > straightened out.

> > > I had to specifically assign the user I account I created the Log On
> > > Locally, Act As Part of the Operating System, and the Log on As A
> Service
> > > rights - even if a group it was a part of already had the right
> assigned.
> > > The same goes for the permissions ARCserve says it has to have.  It
must
> > be
> > > exclusively listed even if a group it is in has permissions.  Seems
odd
> > > me, but it works.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > Keith

> > where

> in
> > > the

> > > profile

> > > future.

1. Problem with ArcServe 2000 Exchange Backup Agent

Hi,

I am having a problem getting ArcServe 2000 Exchange Backup Agent to work with my Exchange 2000 environment.  I had been using ArcServe for the past five years and it worked like a charm for EX5.5, but I can't get the darn thing to work with EX2K just yet, when I tried to expand the Exchange Organization, I can see my EX2K servers but it won't show me anything under the servers tree.  Any one run into this problem before?  My Exchange Agent is V7.0 Build 414 and running on ArcServe 2000 V7.0 build 1100.  My Exchange is running on Cluster, when I installed the Agent, it awares of the cluster.  If you are using ArcServe 2000 for your backup, can you let me know what version and build of ArcServe and Exchange Agent? and if you run into this problem before?

I have been looking at Microsoft and CAI web sites but unable to find anything that relates to my problem.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

Cuong Tran

2. MSDN Info On LDAP API Is "Weak" At Best

3. Exchange Restore

4. Arcserve 2000 exchange agent VS Exchange 2000 server (1314)

5. Connecting two SBS 4.5 Servers

6. Remote Administration of Exchange Server

7. Exchange 2000 Agent for ArcServe IT 2000

8. ARCserve 2000 Exchange 2000 Agent installation error 1314

9. Exchange 2000 mit Arcserve 2000 Exch.Agent sichern

10. Arcserve agent for Exchange 2000

11. Arcserve Exchange 2000 Agent