Problems setting up newsfeeds in exchange 5.5

Problems setting up newsfeeds in exchange 5.5

Post by Paul Riding » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:55:44

Hi

I've recently tried to set up a newsfeed from msnews.microsoft.com.

I have an entry in connections and protocols for the newsfeed and I can add
and remove newsgroups from the server using the inbound/outbound tabs of the
connection which in turn creates folders under the internet newsgroup
folder.  So I know I'm communicating with the server because the list of
newsgroups appears.

My problem is that I cant get my server to populate the folders with the
messages, all the folders are empty.  I'm sure its something and nothing.
but I cant find it.

The newsfeed connection object is enabled and the schedule is set to
allways.

The nntp exchange service is running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Problems setting up newsfeeds in exchange 5.5

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:25:04

For pull newsfeed Exchange Server can use only NEWNEWS command, which was
disabled about 1 year ago on msnews.microsoft.com. It is also disabled on most
other newsservers beacsue it places very high load on source server.
So you have two options
1. Arrange PUSH newsfeed from msnews.
2. Find some software that can pull news with XOVER command and let Exchange
pull them with NEWNEWS.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill