Recovering old email/mailboxes

Post by Wall » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:39:40

Hi all,

I have been asked to look into recovering a mailbox that existed back in
1998-99 in order to recover old sent emails (from the sent mail folder).

The site did regular backups of exchange. Naturally both the hardware and
software have been upgraded since then and no one knows/remembers what the
original configuration was at the time of the backups.

At this stage my idea is to try and restore the complete server onto a
spare and try to get exchange "up and running" as a standalone.

Does anyone have any thoughts/hints/tips/prayers they could offer ?

Thanks

Recovering old email/mailboxes

Post by Lo?c » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:46:33

give a look at the Microsft white book "Backup and recover Exch" on Exch
website.
You just need the name of  domain, organisation and site... if I can
remember, then you use exmerge

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have been asked to look into recovering a mailbox that existed back in
> 1998-99 in order to recover old sent emails (from the sent mail folder).

> The site did regular backups of exchange. Naturally both the hardware and
> software have been upgraded since then and no one knows/remembers what the
> original configuration was at the time of the backups.

> At this stage my idea is to try and restore the complete server onto a
> spare and try to get exchange "up and running" as a standalone.

> Does anyone have any thoughts/hints/tips/prayers they could offer ?

> Thanks

Recovering old email/mailboxes

Post by Nemesis Service » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:17:11

Basically just explain to the person who has asked you to look into this,
both the hardware and software have been upgraded and the data we have was
only usable on the old software (maybe hardware as well).

The time involved in restoring the complete server onto a spare machine and
'trying' to get it up and running on a 'standalone' system will take far too
long and would not be worth the time as more productive work can be done
than spent on this and may or may not work.

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have been asked to look into recovering a mailbox that existed back in
> 1998-99 in order to recover old sent emails (from the sent mail folder).

> The site did regular backups of exchange. Naturally both the hardware and
> software have been upgraded since then and no one knows/remembers what the
> original configuration was at the time of the backups.

> At this stage my idea is to try and restore the complete server onto a
> spare and try to get exchange "up and running" as a standalone.

> Does anyone have any thoughts/hints/tips/prayers they could offer ?

> Thanks

1. Recovering email from old exchange server

I recently reinstalled NT 4.0 on an SBS machine ( installed a new hard
drive ) The old hard drive ( with the old exchange information ) is now
drive E.  It is not bootable anymore but the exchange information is still
there.  I though I transferred all the email successfully.  Of course I was
wrong.  So how might I recover email form the exchange server directory on
the old SBS drive?  Now remember NT4.0 is up and running on the C drive and
the information on the old SBS E drive is just data now and not used by the
OS.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad Lewis  -  Network Administrator

Quantum Leap
www.quantumleap.com

2. Exchange 4.5's POP3 Server

3. Missing email address tab

4. Recovering old mailboxes

5. How to Block the user received outside e-mail?

6. How to recover emails for one mailbox

7. Instant Messaging installation

8. mailbox manager not getting all old email

9. block email to old mailboxes

10. Recover old information store

11. Recovering an old PRIV.EDB

12. Recover old exchange database to new exchange setup