IMS Shutdown due to MTA Error

Post by Kallahor » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

It seems that our MTA is having problems accurately measuring the amount of
disk space left on the server drives.  Upon examination of the event logs I
encounter the error that less than 10MB of space is left and that I should
go about freeing up disk space.  This then leads to the shutting down of the
IMS until more space is freed.  There are several GB of space on its storage
disk as well as on any disk which exchange files reside.  Does anyone know
if there is a logical amount of space that is somehow set in exchange to
limit the space that the MTA has to work in?  If so, how does one adjust
this?  I am still able to bring the IMS right back up after it is shutdown,
and can rely upon it staying up for about 4-5 hours before someone must
restart it again.

Any insight would be appreciated...

IMS Shutdown due to MTA Error

Post by Ben Smit » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Is you page file big enough? (At least RAM + 100MB)

--
Ben Smith  MCSE, MCT, MVP

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Quote:> It seems that our MTA is having problems accurately measuring the amount
of
> disk space left on the server drives.  Upon examination of the event logs
> encounter the error that less than 10MB of space is left and that I should
> go about freeing up disk space.  This then leads to the shutting down of
the
> IMS until more space is freed.  There are several GB of space on its
storage
> disk as well as on any disk which exchange files reside.  Does anyone know
> if there is a logical amount of space that is somehow set in exchange to
> limit the space that the MTA has to work in?  If so, how does one adjust
> this?  I am still able to bring the IMS right back up after it is
shutdown,
> and can rely upon it staying up for about 4-5 hours before someone must
> restart it again.

> Any insight would be appreciated...

IMS Shutdown due to MTA Error

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Go to Servers container/ServerName properties/Database paths tab and note the
location of each database. Then check amount of free disk space on EACH of
mentioned there drives.

> It seems that our MTA is having problems accurately measuring the amount of
> disk space left on the server drives.  Upon examination of the event logs I
> encounter the error that less than 10MB of space is left and that I should
> go about freeing up disk space.  This then leads to the shutting down of the
> IMS until more space is freed.  There are several GB of space on its storage
> disk as well as on any disk which exchange files reside.  Does anyone know
> if there is a logical amount of space that is somehow set in exchange to
> limit the space that the MTA has to work in?  If so, how does one adjust
> this?  I am still able to bring the IMS right back up after it is shutdown,
> and can rely upon it staying up for about 4-5 hours before someone must
> restart it again.

> Any insight would be appreciated...

--
Thanks for everybody who supported MVPs.
But the future of NGs still uncertain.

Questions will not be answered via e-mail.
Kirill S. Palagin

IMS Shutdown due to MTA Error

Post by Matt Rup » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

CHeck your database paths I bet that your MTA is storing on your C: dirve
and it is running out of space.  Use the exchange optimizer and move the MTA
to your larger drives.

Quote:> It seems that our MTA is having problems accurately measuring the amount
of
> disk space left on the server drives.  Upon examination of the event logs
> encounter the error that less than 10MB of space is left and that I should
> go about freeing up disk space.  This then leads to the shutting down of
the
> IMS until more space is freed.  There are several GB of space on its
storage
> disk as well as on any disk which exchange files reside.  Does anyone know
> if there is a logical amount of space that is somehow set in exchange to
> limit the space that the MTA has to work in?  If so, how does one adjust
> this?  I am still able to bring the IMS right back up after it is
shutdown,
> and can rely upon it staying up for about 4-5 hours before someone must
> restart it again.

> Any insight would be appreciated...

1. MTA Error: Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure

This has happened three times in the past four days.  Someone sends a
message from server A to server B and the send gets back an NDR: "The
following recipient(s) could not be reached"  The error listed below is
"Unable to delivery the message due to a communications failure"

On the receiving server, event 270 is logged against the MTA x.400 service.
The event looks like this:

A permanent error has occurred with Entity /O=AMERICAN AGRISURANCE,
INC./OU=AMAG/CN=CONFIGURATION/CN=SERVERS/CN=AIC_EXCH_NT/CN=MICROSOFT PRIVATE
MDB. Entity is a Message Object is a Normal Priority Message. Object:
0600050B. Message ID: C=US;A= ;P=American
Agrisur;L=GALAXY-020309140300Z-210458 Content length: 17416, External Trace
information (first 100 bytes) =
308063806180130255530000628013012000001310416D65726963616E204167726973757200
00318080113032303330393038303330302D303630308201008302060000000000, PDU dump
reference 33 [MTA SUBMIT 18 74] (14)

Anyone seen this before?
--
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous,
he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between

- Mark Twain

2. Exchange Backup

3. my only exchange server shutdown today due to log space

4. question about pop3 and smtp servers

5. OWA not working due to Directory Browser being diasbled at shutdown

6. Cannot get message by Outlook

7. MTA stops due to IMCDATA Directory too big.

8. Error when saving a new task in outlook

9. MTA shutdowns

10. MTA Shutdown connecting to MS Mail via Async

11. Error: Could not complete the operation due to error 80020101

12. IMS can not load due to memory