Yet another SMTP relay question...

Post by M.D. » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

We have one Exchange Server running 5.5 and SP3.

We need to accept mail for several domains, and all the users need email

relaying enabled in the IMS, this was simple because I just routed inbound
mail for those other domains to our "master" domain.  However, this opens
the server up to spam relaying problems (and ORBS picked up the server in
one of their scans).

The only workaround I've found is to add multiple email addresses for our
users - but this is a huge headache...

What's the best solution?

Also, I'd like to have Exchange do a lookup in the ORBS/MAPS databases to
cut down on the amount of spam we're getting.   Are there any add-in
services to allow this?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Yet another SMTP relay question...

Post by Rudy Steyaer » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Why not configure (on the routing restrictions Tab)  who can relay and who
can't ?
Regards
Rudy Steyaert

> We have one Exchange Server running 5.5 and SP3.

> We need to accept mail for several domains, and all the users need email

> relaying enabled in the IMS, this was simple because I just routed inbound
> mail for those other domains to our "master" domain.  However, this opens
> the server up to spam relaying problems (and ORBS picked up the server in
> one of their scans).

> The only workaround I've found is to add multiple email addresses for our
> users - but this is a huge headache...

> What's the best solution?

> Also, I'd like to have Exchange do a lookup in the ORBS/MAPS databases to
> cut down on the amount of spam we're getting.   Are there any add-in
> services to allow this?

> Thanks in advance,

> Mike

Yet another SMTP relay question...

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The problem is two-fold

1. You need to create a valid user account for each user who will be receiving mail for these domains.
2. You need to tell the IMS that it will accept mail for these domains.

You've used the forward to domain feature and found that works and allows all the users to receive mail correctly. If however you want them to receive mail correctly for the other domains they will have to have email addresses in those domains which means you will have to add them.

--
___________________________
Wesley H. Peace III

Microsoft Exchange/BackOffice MVP

Exchange FAQ at   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
              http://www.exchangefaq.org

Please do NOT reply to me directly.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>We have one Exchange Server running 5.5 and SP3.

>We need to accept mail for several domains, and all the users need email

>relaying enabled in the IMS, this was simple because I just routed inbound
>mail for those other domains to our "master" domain.  However, this opens
>the server up to spam relaying problems (and ORBS picked up the server in
>one of their scans).

So why not secure the use of the SMTP relay? Use the "Routing
Restrictions..." button on the IMS "Routing" tab and check to top box
(only authenticated users can relay). Then stop and restart the IMS.

Quote:>The only workaround I've found is to add multiple email addresses for our
>users - but this is a huge headache...

>What's the best solution?

Secure the use of your server's SMTP relay.

Quote:>Also, I'd like to have Exchange do a lookup in the ORBS/MAPS databases to
>cut down on the amount of spam we're getting.   Are there any add-in
>services to allow this?

Not with the standard out-of-the-box Exchange. But you should be able
to create a non-routing extention to the IMS to do this if you're
willing to write your own. If not, run a Linux machine and sendmail as
a front-end to Exchange.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Yet another SMTP relay question...

Post by Colin Campbel » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Why don't you set your system to only relay for users who successfully
authenticate?  If you need to relay for users in other domains set up a
trust relationship.

> We have one Exchange Server running 5.5 and SP3.

> We need to accept mail for several domains, and all the users need email

> relaying enabled in the IMS, this was simple because I just routed inbound
> mail for those other domains to our "master" domain.  However, this opens
> the server up to spam relaying problems (and ORBS picked up the server in
> one of their scans).

> The only workaround I've found is to add multiple email addresses for our
> users - but this is a huge headache...

> What's the best solution?

> Also, I'd like to have Exchange do a lookup in the ORBS/MAPS databases to
> cut down on the amount of spam we're getting.   Are there any add-in
> services to allow this?

> Thanks in advance,

> Mike

Yet another SMTP relay question...

Post by Ed Crowle » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I solved this at my previous two employers by writing a little VB app that
exported the directory, and imported the missing addresses.  The better way
now to do this is with ADSI, and in addition to being more elegant it's
actually probably even easier.  I think having multiple addresses is much
better than opening the Routing can of worms, myself.  If you can endure the
inconvenience of maintaining multiple addresses until Exchange 2000, you'll
be happy to see that it supports automatic alias generation.
--
Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP-Exchange
Senior Consultant

> Why not configure (on the routing restrictions Tab)  who can relay and who
> can't ?
> Regards
> Rudy Steyaert

> > We have one Exchange Server running 5.5 and SP3.

> > We need to accept mail for several domains, and all the users need email

> > relaying enabled in the IMS, this was simple because I just routed
inbound
> > mail for those other domains to our "master" domain.  However, this
opens
> > the server up to spam relaying problems (and ORBS picked up the server
in
> > one of their scans).

> > The only workaround I've found is to add multiple email addresses for
our
> > users - but this is a huge headache...

> > What's the best solution?

> > Also, I'd like to have Exchange do a lookup in the ORBS/MAPS databases
> > cut down on the amount of spam we're getting.   Are there any add-in
> > services to allow this?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Mike

Yet another SMTP relay question...

Post by Mike » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

HI,

The best solution I have found to this problem is a mail relay
server called mail essentials.I have this running on a Nt workstation
with my mx record point to it.I enter serval domain as local domains
and tell it only to relay from my ip then configure exchange to only except
connection from this servers ip.This has stopped all relaying on my server
and
gave me a second mail server as backup.

check it out at http://www.gficomms.com free for 60 days

> We have one Exchange Server running 5.5 and SP3.

> We need to accept mail for several domains, and all the users need email

> relaying enabled in the IMS, this was simple because I just routed inbound
> mail for those other domains to our "master" domain.  However, this opens
> the server up to spam relaying problems (and ORBS picked up the server in
> one of their scans).

> The only workaround I've found is to add multiple email addresses for our
> users - but this is a huge headache...

> What's the best solution?

> Also, I'd like to have Exchange do a lookup in the ORBS/MAPS databases to
> cut down on the amount of spam we're getting.   Are there any add-in
> services to allow this?

> Thanks in advance,

> Mike

1. Yet another relay question

Exchange Server 5.0 is being used as relay. I have not seen any articles on
technet or this newsgoup that discuss potential ways to stop this. I can,
for the time being, restrict the "relaying" user via our firewall.

Is there any way within Exchange 5.0 to stop relaying?

We will be upgrading to Exchange 5.5 soon, but till then???

2. RAS & Routing

3. Yet another relay problem.

4. Please Help! our exchange server is being spammed, can we block out an external IP# or an e-mail address?

5. smtp authentication/open relay question

6. logging on to exchange server using asp + cdo

7. SMTP Vitrual Server---Relay question ( SPAM )

8. Inbound SMTP mail

9. SMTP Relay Spam Prevention Question

10. SMTP Relay Question

11. SMTP Relay Question?

12. SMTP Connector & Open Relay question

13. SMTP relay question