IMC error: Event 3038: Fail removal Outbound Store Queue Message

IMC error: Event 3038: Fail removal Outbound Store Queue Message

Post by Gilbert Leun » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:44:02

Many external clients/people did recieve duplicate mail from my company's
Exchange server. Hundreds of event ID 3038 appear in Application Log. I
cannot find any resolution from Technet. Permission on all subfolders of
/imcdata/ are OK. Virus scan (file level) is disabled. GroupSheild installed
on Exchange and is running. What is the cause and resolution? Any help on
this one would be greatly appreciated.

Event ID 3038:
An attempt to remove processed messages from the outbound store queue has
failed. The removal will be retried later. If the messages are not removed
before the service is shut down, the mail will be resent at service startup
causing duplicate mail.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>Many external clients/people did recieve duplicate mail from my company's
>Exchange server. Hundreds of event ID 3038 appear in Application Log. I
>cannot find any resolution from Technet. Permission on all subfolders of
>/imcdata/ are OK. Virus scan (file level) is disabled. GroupSheild installed
>on Exchange and is running. What is the cause and resolution? Any help on
>this one would be greatly appreciated.

The cause? Probably the AV software (Groupshield) scanning the IMS
queue.

If the ACL on the IMCDATA directory (and subdirectories) is correct,
and the IMS cannot remove the file from either the directory or the
queue (held in the file QUEUE.DAT) then the messages will be
retransmitted whenever the IMS is started.

You can correct this situation manually. Stop the IMS, remove the
message files from the IMCDATA\IN and IMCDATA\OUT that you don't want
(or need), and delete the file imcdata\queue.dat. Then restart the
IMS.

However, I suspect your problem will return if the AV software is
interfering with the operation of the IMS. If that's the case, contact
the AV vendor's support organization for assistance.

Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP