Using Win2k Server backup on Exchange2k?

Using Win2k Server backup on Exchange2k?

Post by SWalter » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:11:05

Yet another question :)

The company I work for sells Veritas Backup Exec for EVERY client that we
implement an Exchange Server. Sometimes we lose the Exchange side of the
business cause of costs. I thought that Windows 2000 Server backup program
would backup Exchange just as well as Veritas, just not individual
mailboxes. Is this true? And this is NOT considered an "offline" backup
correct? It will flush logs etc etc...just as well as Veritas. Hell,
veritas made the win server backup software! If something were to happen we
should just be able to restore the information stores and restart the
services using this backup?

I just wanted to get some legit opinions and hopefully someone can post a
url that backs up this idea, if true. I could not find an detailed info on
Microsofts website.

Thanks again to anyone who might help.

--
-=SW=-
- MCP

Using Win2k Server backup on Exchange2k?

Post by Curtis Smit » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:04:21

I'm pretty sure that veritas wrote the backup portion of Win2k. NTBackup is
not fast, and has very limited options. The schedule feature is better then
it was in NT 4.0 but is still not as good as other solutions. It's also
extremely difficult to do single seat backups and restores. If you have a
large user population and multiple exch servers, I would never recommend the
use of ntbackup. NTbackup is fine for small organizations with minimal
backup needs, but for larger organizations that backup many different types
of databases, and have multiple file servers and multiple locations,
NTBackup just doesn't cut it.

Just my opinion.

Quote:> Yet another question :)

> The company I work for sells Veritas Backup Exec for EVERY client that we
> implement an Exchange Server. Sometimes we lose the Exchange side of the
> business cause of costs. I thought that Windows 2000 Server backup program
> would backup Exchange just as well as Veritas, just not individual
> mailboxes. Is this true? And this is NOT considered an "offline" backup
> correct? It will flush logs etc etc...just as well as Veritas. Hell,
> veritas made the win server backup software! If something were to happen
we
> should just be able to restore the information stores and restart the
> services using this backup?

> I just wanted to get some legit opinions and hopefully someone can post a
> url that backs up this idea, if true. I could not find an detailed info on
> Microsofts website.

> Thanks again to anyone who might help.

> --
> -=SW=-
> - MCP

Using Win2k Server backup on Exchange2k?

Post by SWalter » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:34:26

Quote:> I'm pretty sure that veritas wrote the backup portion of Win2k.
> NTBackup is not fast, and has very limited options. The schedule
> feature is better then it was in NT 4.0 but is still not as good as
> other solutions. It's also extremely difficult to do single seat
> backups and restores. If you have a large user population and multiple
> exch servers, I would never recommend the use of ntbackup. NTbackup is
> fine for small organizations with minimal backup needs, but for larger
> organizations that backup many different types of databases, and have
> multiple file servers and multiple locations, NTBackup just doesn't
> cut it.

I appreciate the look but, and not being ignorant here, I still need to
know more detail about the Exchange portion of the backup. Is it just an
offline backup...ie...just the same as backing up the database and logs?
Or does it do a "realtime" exchange backup. Giving you ease of restoring
a smaller organizations exchange server without using utilities such as
edbutil blah blah?

--
-=SW=-
- MCP

Using Win2k Server backup on Exchange2k?

Post by Curtis Smit » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 05:32:30

It does use the Exchange backup API's. So you are doing an online backup,
and it does flush the logs. So yes, you can do full online backups,
Differentials, and Incrementals. The way it connects to the Exchange IS is
the same as all the other backup programs.

Hopefully that answers your question.

-Curtis

Post by Robert Quimbey [M » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 05:38:09

>> I'm pretty sure that veritas wrote the backup portion of Win2k.
>> NTBackup is not fast, and has very limited options. The schedule
>> feature is better then it was in NT 4.0 but is still not as good as
>> other solutions. It's also extremely difficult to do single seat
>> backups and restores. If you have a large user population and multiple
>> exch servers, I would never recommend the use of ntbackup. NTbackup is
>> fine for small organizations with minimal backup needs, but for larger
>> organizations that backup many different types of databases, and have
>> multiple file servers and multiple locations, NTBackup just doesn't
>> cut it.

>I appreciate the look but, and not being ignorant here, I still need to
>know more detail about the Exchange portion of the backup. Is it just an
>offline backup...ie...just the same as backing up the database and logs?
>Or does it do a "realtime" exchange backup. Giving you ease of restoring
>a smaller organizations exchange server without using utilities such as
>edbutil blah blah?

>--
>-=SW=-
>- MCP

SWalters,
Windows 2000 'ntbackup' will perform an online backup of the Exchange
2000 databases, including purging backed up log files, etc.

Look at the Disaster Recovery Procedures section of this web page:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...

Here is a KB article that will walk you through an online backup:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q243380

Robert Quimbey, MCSE+Internet
---

Using Win2k Server backup on Exchange2k?

Post by SWalter » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:42:05

Quote:> It does use the Exchange backup API's. So you are doing an online
> backup, and it does flush the logs. So yes, you can do full online
> backups, Differentials, and Incrementals. The way it connects to the
> Exchange IS is the same as all the other backup programs.

> Hopefully that answers your question.

Thank you this does answer my questions....thanks to Robert Quimbey too.

--
-=SW=-
- MCP

1. Using Win2k Server backup on Exchange2k?

[...]

2. Unable to install Exchange 5.5 on Test Server

3. backup of Exchange2K on Win2K....

4. Problems With Mac and Calandars

5. Exchange 5.5 Backup/Restore using NT Backup on Win2K

6. Encrypted messages not forwarded by inbox rules

7. 2000 "Direct Delivery" Vs 5.5 "Use DNS"

8. Need Help: Using Win2K SMTP Service as SMTP relay for Exchange2K

9. Exchange2K-RC1 on Win2K final server