Can't delete Public Folders: they don't exist but listed

Can't delete Public Folders: they don't exist but listed

Post by L.Charn » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

We have a bunch of public folders that apparently used to reside
on a now fazed out server in the site.  Now these folders
are impossible to delete: they are listed everywhere:
in the Administrator program and in the outlook but nobody
can take ownership of them or see their properties because
they are gone and an error to that effect is displayed any time
one tries to access the properties of such a folder.  How can we
get rid of them?

Especially bothersome are exchange event folders that still
linger there after one server has been reinstalled.  As the result
the Exchange Event service would not start on that server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leon Charny

Can't delete Public Folders: they don't exist but listed

Post by Stephen E. Fyff » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Leon,

Read Q195995.  Best recommendation is to wait 60 days.

Stephen

Can't delete Public Folders: they don't exist but listed

Post by Dougla » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

There is no Q195995.  I've tried searching for it on support.microsoft.com
and I still can't find it.

Wait 60 days for what?? I am having the same exact problems.. unfortunately
my problem was caused by Microsoft Technical Support.  They told me to enter
Exchange Admin in raw mode, and delete the public folder's raw object.  Well
although I deleted them.. they are still showing up.  Basically they are
nothing buy a ghost image of what should be there.

Quote:>Leon,

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>There is no Q195995.  I've tried searching for it on support.microsoft.com
>and I still can't find it.

You might want to think about subscribing to TechNet.

Quote:>Wait 60 days for what?? I am having the same exact problems.. unfortunately
>my problem was caused by Microsoft Technical Support.  They told me to enter
>Exchange Admin in raw mode, and delete the public folder's raw object.  Well
>although I deleted them.. they are still showing up.  Basically they are
>nothing buy a ghost image of what should be there.

XADM: Removing 'Ghosted' Public Folders

PSS ID Number: Q195995
Article last modified on 11-19-1998

WinNT:5.5

winnt

 - Microsoft Exchange Server version 5.5

SYMPTOMS
========

After an Exchange Server 5.5 computer or site is removed from an
organization without breaking all connections to it first, Public
Folders
from that site may still be displayed in the hierarchy of other
servers in
the organization. These folders will not rehome by running the DS/IS
consistency checker and will not display any properties in the
Microsoft
Exchange Server Administrator program. Highlighting the Public Folder
and
clicking Properties on the File menu will display the following error
message:

  The object cannot be found in the directory. This may be because
  replication has not completed.
  Microsoft Exchange Directory
  ID no:c1010aae

From the Outlook client, the following error message would appear:

   Unable to display the folder. The contents of this folder are
currently
   unavailable. Either the Microsoft Exchange Server servicing this
public
   folder is down or the public folder has not been replicated to this
   site. See your administrator.

CAUSE
=====

After a Public Folder is created, the hierarchy is replicated to all
servers in the organization. This hierarchy is stored in the Pub.edb
file
and an entry is created in the Automoves table for the folder. If an
Exchange Server 5.5 server computer is shutdown without properly
breaking
all the connections first, the folders will never be marked for
removal
from the Public Folder hierarchy or the Automoves table. If the folder
does
not have a replica on any other Exchange Server computer in your
organization, instead of becoming an orphan, it will 'ghost'. The
other
servers in the organization will retain an entry for the object in
their
Pub.edb files (on the Automoves table) to prevent the object name from
being used by another server and to allow it to be moved back
(recreated)
on its home server. This object will remain in place for a default
time of
6 months.

WORKAROUND
==========

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems
that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry
Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing
Keys And
Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and
Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in
Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you
edit it.

To work around this problem, perform the following steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (REGEDT32.exe), and go to the following
subkey:

      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\
      MSExchangeIS\ParametersPublic

      NOTE: The above registry key is one path; it has been wrapped
for
      readability.

2. On the Edit menu, click Add Value and add the following
information:

   Value Name: Automatic Folder Move Age Limit
   Data Type: REG_DWORD
   Data: 600 (set to decimal)

   This value is in seconds and forces the retention time to 5 minutes
   instead of the original 6 months. This is not recommended as a long
term
   setting.

3. Wait for the normal Information Store Maintenance cycle to take
place.
   (Default 12:00 A.M. - 6:00 A.M. nightly) Information Store
Maintenance
   can be set to Always, but make sure to set it back to the previous
   settings after the "ghosted" objects have been removed.

   All 'ghost' folders will be deleted from the public folders.

4. After the objects have been removed, delete the above registry
entry to
   return the settings to the default.

NOTE: The registry changes will not take affect until you stop and
restart
the Information store (MSExchangeIS) service.
Version           : WinNT:5.5
Platform          : winnt
Issue type        : kbprb
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.

1. Contacts public folder don't retain deleted items

If you delete items from a Public Folder, normally the items are retained
for some days (depending on settings) and you can recover them from client
(i.e. Outlook). This is not true for contact type public folders. In this
case seems that the items are deleted immediately (even if you force Deleted
Item Retention Time to n days) and there's no way to recover them. A side
effect of this is that, if you write a script to do some action on deletion
of items, EventDetails.MessageID returns an ID that's not associated to any
existing item (it's the ID of the deleted message that's no longer
available).

Do anyone knows how to workaround this problem ?

Please reply in newsgroup.

Cristiano & Massimo

2. static IP routing issue - not pingable for nslookup

3. Can't delete non-existing public folders from the Exchange Directory

4. Public Contacts Folder Journaling

5. Public folder's don't replicate from 5.5 to e2k

6. VB Scripting For Exchange 2000 Client

7. Retrieve deleted folders from 'Public Folders'

8. Outlook (Exchange) LAN settings?

9. Phantom public folders: can't open, can't delete

10. Importing list to Outlook PUBLIC folders - why won't O'look allow this

11. Can't DELETE / Can't get into DELETE folder

12. OWA Public Folder Calendars don't work

13. Users and public folders don't appear in global address li st