Move from NT domain with Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 domain with Exchange 2000

Move from NT domain with Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 domain with Exchange 2000

Post by Vincent Commarie » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:42:15

Hi,

Here is the scenario:

We have one box acting as a PDC (NT 4.0 SP6a) for File/Print and another one
acting as a BDC (NT 4.0 SP6a) with Exchange 5.5 SP4

We are planning major upgrade that includes:

2 new servers to replace the PDC and Exchange DBC. Each box with new disks
(we will not use old hardware)

The existing Exchange store is near to 16Gb

It is planned to move to Windows 2000 Enterprise server for both servers (to
be able to implement clustering later on) and also Exchange 2000 Enterprise
server (clustering and and information store > 16Gb)

We have about 120 users.

The exisiting domain name and Exchange organisation name will need to be
changed in the upgrade process.

I have been reading technets and so, but am still not sure what is the best
way to do that.

Ideally, I would prefer to test the process on the 2 new servers before
re-doing "live", and avoid as much as possible down time (one or two
week-ends maximum)

Does someone done something like that or similar and would share his(er)
experience, and advise me on the best steps to follow?

Thanks

Move from NT domain with Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 domain with Exchange 2000

Post by Ulrich Schroete » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:41:23

Hi Vincent,

i think, the fastest way is a two/three step procedure:

1.  create a 2nd W2K Server into the existing domain with Exchange 5.5 and
move all users
     with Exchange Admin Move Mailbox to the new server
2.  do an Domain Upgrade to W2K with Active Directory by eleminating the old
2 servers
3.  do an E2K upgrade

regards, uli   ;-)

>Hi,

>Here is the scenario:

>We have one box acting as a PDC (NT 4.0 SP6a) for File/Print and another
one
>acting as a BDC (NT 4.0 SP6a) with Exchange 5.5 SP4

>We are planning major upgrade that includes:

>2 new servers to replace the PDC and Exchange DBC. Each box with new disks
>(we will not use old hardware)

>The existing Exchange store is near to 16Gb

>It is planned to move to Windows 2000 Enterprise server for both servers
>be able to implement clustering later on) and also Exchange 2000 Enterprise
>server (clustering and and information store > 16Gb)

>We have about 120 users.

>The exisiting domain name and Exchange organisation name will need to be
>changed in the upgrade process.

>I have been reading technets and so, but am still not sure what is the best
>way to do that.

>Ideally, I would prefer to test the process on the 2 new servers before
>re-doing "live", and avoid as much as possible down time (one or two
>week-ends maximum)

>Does someone done something like that or similar and would share his(er)
>experience, and advise me on the best steps to follow?

>Thanks

1. Having Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 in a Windows 2000 domain

We are currently in the process of upgrading a Windows NT 4 domain to
Windows 2000.  We plan on upgrading the Windows NT 4 PDC to Windows
2000, and then introducing a second Windows 2000 server to be another
Domain Controller.

Here's where it gets tricky.  We have a NT 4 Member server in the NT 4
domain that is running Exchange 5.5.  How will this bugger handle the
rest of the domain becoming Windows 2K, but it staying NT4 and
Exchange 5.5?  We are hoping it will all be gravy (possibly having to
reassign the mailboxes to the new AD users, not sure), but we would
like a second opinion...

Thanks, roll out is this weekend if anyone knows...

2. Restoring Individual Items

3. Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 on NT 4 domain

4. MCSE WANTED IN LA

5. Need help Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 server (2nd domain controller on domain)

6. Take a break - Funny article in The Onion

7. Exchange 5.5 to 2000 migration in Windows 2000 Mixed Mode Domain

8. External Address Lose Attachments

9. Roaming profiles in domain with NT 4 server and Windows 2000/Windows XP clients

10. Windows 2000 Domain Problem on LAN without Windows domain

11. Exchange 5.5, NT 4 domain and Windows 2K domain

12. Exchange 2000 on Windows NT 4 domain?

13. Exchange 2000 with Windows NT Domain Controllers