If various mail in Queus means I'm an Open Relay

If various mail in Queus means I'm an Open Relay

Post by Disk0ne » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:54:40

Hey another question is:

IF opening the queus of Internet mail connector and found
so many OUtbound mails not coming from my local users,

open relay?

If yes how can I stop those email from flooding my mail
smtp server

Thanks

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:54:54

> Hey another question is:

> IF opening the queus of Internet mail connector and found
> so many OUtbound mails not coming from my local users,

> open relay?

Probably.

Quote:

> If yes how can I stop those email from flooding my mail
> smtp server

Assuming Exchange55
http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7696

Quote:

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

1. Can't Stop Open Relay and Can't Relay Internal Mail

Please someone kindly help me.  This msg was posted 2 days
ago but the problem still can't be fixed.  Please read the
following re-post.  Thanks.

My Exchsrv 5.5 was identified as Open Relay server by
several anti-spam services.  I tried many ways to fix this
problem by following Paul Robichaux's article
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
url=/technet/security/mail/excrelay.asp), but all failed
to stop relaying.  Even I turned off all relays by
selecting "Do not reroute incoming SMTP mail" on Routing
tab (of course each time I remembered to stop and restart
IMS), the server still keeps relaying endlessly (can be
checked in the Event Viewer/Application Log. I have to
stop IMS currently.

In addition, according to Paul Robichaux's article, I
enabled (checked) "Hosts and clients that successfully
authenticate" and "Hosts and clients with these IP
addresses" and added relevant IP addresses in the box.
However, the mail can't be sent out to the outside domains
from any authenticated user or the computer with relevant
IP.

In short, currently all internal mails can't be relaid to
the outside domains but the spamming massages still keep
passing through the server!

--- Response by JS ---
Internet Mail Service.
should get RECIPIENT
domain....you should get

--- Response by rhu  -------

Thanks for your advice.  Done per your instruction. Tested
with telnet commands you suggested and everything looked
OK.  However, the server is still busy delivering spam
messages in mass volume.  I checked the Event
Viewer/Application Log.  After clearing all records, it'll
be full in a few minutes!  Huge amount of spam mails are
still passing through!

Now all relay are prohibited.  I can't even send out this
message via the server, but the server is still busy to
deliver spam mails from the outside!

Please HELP.  THANKS!

Randall

2. error on install

3. Closed relay means our digital sender can't send emails

4. Sending mail from an ASP page through Exchange Server 5.0

5. retrieve e-mail from various pc's

6. TCP-IP MTA Transport

7. How Can I disable 'Open Relay'?

8. Mimesweeper

9. Relaying mail from Unix systems - without being open relay

10. Can't rename Badmail folder after cleaning up queue (open relay)

11. strange issues with Open Relay (after i've closed it)

12. Can't rename Badmail folder after cleaning up queue (open relay)

13. Can't Close Open Relay !!!