Exchange Behind Firewall?

Post by Jeffrey Hender » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

I'd like to setup Exchange behind the firewall.  Can anyone point me to a
URL with some information on how to accomplish this task?  IT seems like MS
DNS should be installed internally with two entries. The first entry would
point to the Exchange box, the second pointing to the DNS server of the ISP?

The MX record at the ISP would point to our dynamic IP address which should
be associated with an internal IP address on port 25?

This is the general setup; any info would be appreciated?

Exchange Behind Firewall?

Post by Chris T. Haake » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Knowing what firewall you are using would help greatly! But you dont *have*
to use internal DNS. What I do is use the firewall to NAT the inside address
of the exchange server to a predefined external address (which is also the
address the MX record points to). Then I open up the correct ports and I am
done. That's oversimplifying it a *little* but you get the idea. WINS
handles the internal name resolution. My firewall has my ISP's DNS entries
and routes accordingly.

--
Chris Haaker
The Future is in Beta

Quote:> I'd like to setup Exchange behind the firewall.  Can anyone point me to a
> URL with some information on how to accomplish this task?  IT seems like
MS
> DNS should be installed internally with two entries. The first entry would
> point to the Exchange box, the second pointing to the DNS server of the
ISP?

> The MX record at the ISP would point to our dynamic IP address which
should
> be associated with an internal IP address on port 25?

> This is the general setup; any info would be appreciated?

Exchange Behind Firewall?

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

(Thanks to Douglas Buchanan)

Q148732    XADM: Setting TCP/IP Port Numbers for Internet Firewalls
Q155831    XADM: How to Force Static Mapping of Sockets
Q176466    XGEN: TCP Ports and Microsoft Exchange: In-depth Discussion

> I'd like to setup Exchange behind the firewall.  Can anyone point me to a
> URL with some information on how to accomplish this task?  IT seems like MS
> DNS should be installed internally with two entries. The first entry would
> point to the Exchange box, the second pointing to the DNS server of the ISP?

> The MX record at the ISP would point to our dynamic IP address which should
> be associated with an internal IP address on port 25?

> This is the general setup; any info would be appreciated?

Exchange Behind Firewall?

Post by Kristopher Joh » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Do you have any setup info for the client side?

> (Thanks to Douglas Buchanan)

> Q148732    XADM: Setting TCP/IP Port Numbers for Internet Firewalls
> Q155831    XADM: How to Force Static Mapping of Sockets
> Q176466    XGEN: TCP Ports and Microsoft Exchange: In-depth Discussion

> > I'd like to setup Exchange behind the firewall.  Can anyone point me to
> > URL with some information on how to accomplish this task?  IT seems like
MS
> > DNS should be installed internally with two entries. The first entry
would
> > point to the Exchange box, the second pointing to the DNS server of the
ISP?

> > The MX record at the ISP would point to our dynamic IP address which
should
> > be associated with an internal IP address on port 25?

> > This is the general setup; any info would be appreciated?

Exchange Behind Firewall?

Post by Kevin Holma » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Entry in the hostfile for the netbios name of the server and it's internet
mapped IP is all we had to do.

>Do you have any setup info for the client side?

>> (Thanks to Douglas Buchanan)

>> Q148732    XADM: Setting TCP/IP Port Numbers for Internet Firewalls
>> Q155831    XADM: How to Force Static Mapping of Sockets
>> Q176466    XGEN: TCP Ports and Microsoft Exchange: In-depth Discussion

>> > I'd like to setup Exchange behind the firewall.  Can anyone point me to
>> > URL with some information on how to accomplish this task?  IT seems
like
>MS
>> > DNS should be installed internally with two entries. The first entry
>would
>> > point to the Exchange box, the second pointing to the DNS server of the
>ISP?

>> > The MX record at the ISP would point to our dynamic IP address which
>should
>> > be associated with an internal IP address on port 25?

>> > This is the general setup; any info would be appreciated?

1. Exchange behind firewall

Hello Exchange gurus, can anybody please tell me how to connect to an
exchange 5.5 server behind a firewall from an outlook client through dialup
connection. We have an exchange5.5 server in one of our offices that is not
behind a firewall, and  we have no problem accessing this one from outlook
through dialup, but the problem is we are not able to connect to an exchange
box  that is behind a firewall, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Outlook 98 cannot send e-mail with just Xchange service installed ??

3. Exchange behind Firewall / Proxy : POLL

4. OWA access to back end servers

5. Exchange behind firewall

6. Lost the All Contacts address in Excbange

7. OWA Exchange 2K - No idea why it doesn't work....

8. exchange behind firewall can't send to internet

9. Exchange behind firewall

10. Exchange behind firewall - an im PORT ant question

11. Exchange behind Firewall / Proxy : POLL