Installing Service Pack 3 for Exchange 2000

Installing Service Pack 3 for Exchange 2000

Post by Arnold » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 05:29:50

For whatever reason, on a vanilla box with a new instance of Win2k SP2
and Exchange 2000, service pack three install fails when the process
trys to stop the Data Store service.

I finally had to disable it, reboot and then re-attempt to apply the
service pack.  Seems to have done the trick.

Installing Service Pack 3 for Exchange 2000

Post by Y.W.Cho » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 02:14:15

Hi Matt,

You're were lucky. After installing E2K SP3 I found out most of the "E2K
services" didn't auto startup. I had to perform an manual startup. I tried
to trace the source & found that it had something to do with the SP3. Be'coz
on this same box it was running E2K SP2 without any problems. It was very
stable till I apply SP3.

Now I totally gave up on E2K SP3. I downgraded to SP2. Since then it has
been very "quiet". My users are now more happy being able to read / access
their e-mails on demand.

Don't get me wrong, E2K SP3 is an great update just that it needs testing
before applying on production system.

Quote:> Strange - I just finished building two Exchange 2k
> servers on fresh vanilla Win2k SP2 builds. Didn't run
> into any problems, other than the expected hang with the
> SA on the second box (it was a DR build, they never seem
> to be able to start the SA cleanly).

> Haven't run into a single bug yet today with the two
> machines.

Post by Kevin Longle » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:59:22

How did you downgrade to SP2?

> Hi Matt,

> You're were lucky. After installing E2K SP3 I found out most of the "E2K
> services" didn't auto startup. I had to perform an manual startup. I tried
> to trace the source & found that it had something to do with the SP3.
Be'coz
> on this same box it was running E2K SP2 without any problems. It was very
> stable till I apply SP3.

> Now I totally gave up on E2K SP3. I downgraded to SP2. Since then it has
> been very "quiet". My users are now more happy being able to read / access
> their e-mails on demand.

> Don't get me wrong, E2K SP3 is an great update just that it needs testing
> before applying on production system.

> > Strange - I just finished building two Exchange 2k
> > servers on fresh vanilla Win2k SP2 builds. Didn't run
> > into any problems, other than the expected hang with the
> > SA on the second box (it was a DR build, they never seem
> > to be able to start the SA cleanly).

> > Haven't run into a single bug yet today with the two
> > machines.

Post by frea » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 04:45:31

The only issue I had was with the AV software that needed to be
uninstalled first... other than that, it went so smoothly I was
*almost* disappointed -- keyword here is almost  :D

---
View this thread: http://www.examnotes.net/article83249.html
freak - Moderator

freak's Profile: http://www.examnotes.net/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1778

1. Install of Office 2000 Service Pack 3 disables Exchange 2000 authentication

After installing Office 2000 Service Pack 3, some Outlook
Clients cannot authenticate to the Exchange Server. The
clients are using NTLM Authentication.

The exchage server event log implies that the outlook
client is no longer sending the "Entered Domain" but
always sending the Computer's Domain in the authentication
to exchange.

Prior to Office 2000 Service Pack 3 the handshake looked
like this

Client                              Exchange Server
Open Outlook
  send current credentials -------->
                           <-------- not authorized
prompt for logon (enter logon)
     send login credentials ------->
                           <-------- authorized

After Office 2000 Service Pack 3 the handshake looks like
this

Client                              Exchange Server
Open Outlook
    send current credentials ------->
                             <------ not authorized
prompt for logon (enter logon)
    send current credentials ------->
                             <------ not authorized
prompt for logon (enter logon)
    send current credentials ------->
                             <------ not authorized

Has any one else seen this? Is their a fix or workaround?

David

2. Hosting E-mail

3. manaul

4. how to install exchange 2000 service pack 2

5. Web based mail not working

6. How to install Outlook 2000 from Exchange 5.5 service pack 4 CD

7. exchange service account

8. Problems installing service packs 2 or 3 on exchange server SBS 2000

9. IIS admin service crashing on Exchange 2000 service pack 3

10. Office 2000 Service Pack 3 disables Exchange 2000 authentication

11. To Service Pack or not to Service Pack

12. Ex;change service pack and NT service pack