MSexchange 5.5 Transaction logs build up

MSexchange 5.5 Transaction logs build up

Post by Srin » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:46:28

I'm facing a situation at my work place, basically it is a
huge msexchange email network running on exchange 5.5 sp4,
on one of the exchange servers I Observed that transaction
logs are building up rapildy ~ 3 per minute (15mb) and
this goes on running to outspace my log drive,funny thing
is i havn't noticed any abnormal increment of mailbox
sizes of any user on this server, but end of the day Priv
size increases and also my backup time increases.

How and where should i start probing the problem.
How can i monitor which one user/users creating this
problem.

I haven't noticed any mta/imc queues building up all i see
is rapid building up of transaction logs for information
store(mdbdata).

appreciate any inputs,

thanks in advance

MSexchange 5.5 Transaction logs build up

Post by MSFT » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 08:31:57

Hi Srini,

One way you could track this is to check the Store's Operations. To do so,
Open the 5.5 Admin program. Expand down to the Private Information Store of
the server. Click on Logons. From the View Menu, choose Columns. On the left
side scroll down to total ops, select it and click add, then ok.

Now when you look at Logons, check to see if any user has an inordinate
amount of operations.

Hope this helps!

--
Steve Antonio, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

Quote:> I'm facing a situation at my work place, basically it is a
> huge msexchange email network running on exchange 5.5 sp4,
> on one of the exchange servers I Observed that transaction
> logs are building up rapildy ~ 3 per minute (15mb) and
> this goes on running to outspace my log drive,funny thing
> is i havn't noticed any abnormal increment of mailbox
> sizes of any user on this server, but end of the day Priv
> size increases and also my backup time increases.

> How and where should i start probing the problem.
> How can i monitor which one user/users creating this
> problem.

> I haven't noticed any mta/imc queues building up all i see
> is rapid building up of transaction logs for information
> store(mdbdata).

> appreciate any inputs,

> thanks in advance

MSexchange 5.5 Transaction logs build up

Post by Srin » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 01:14:05

Thanks Steve for the inputs,

I could identify the user causing the problem, verified
the process running on the clients desktop and killed the
outlook process, but still i see the logs building up, i
can't reboot the box , since user has locked the desktop.

1.My question is, even after killing the outlook process
why i still see the transaction logs building .
2. Why I don't see any increment on the mailbox size of
the individual ?
3. IS their any way i can find out if this user has logged
into another desktop and running any mapi client,

and finally

Is their any way i can put a stop on bulidng of logs ?

Thanks

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Srini,

>One way you could track this is to check the Store's

Operations. To do so,
Quote:>Open the 5.5 Admin program. Expand down to the Private

Information Store of
Quote:>the server. Click on Logons. From the View Menu, choose

Columns. On the left
Quote:>side scroll down to total ops, select it and click add,
then ok.

>Now when you look at Logons, check to see if any user has
an inordinate
>amount of operations.

>Hope this helps!

>--
>Steve Antonio, MCSE
>Microsoft Exchange Support

>Please do not send email directly to this alias. This

alias is for newsgroup
>purposes only.

confers no rights.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 04:15:58

>Thanks Steve for the inputs,

>I could identify the user causing the problem, verified
>the process running on the clients desktop and killed the
>outlook process, but still i see the logs building up, i
>can't reboot the box , since user has locked the desktop.

Pull the network cable from the NIC or turn off the port on the
switch/hub. Use a remote boot utility. Or just turn the machine off.

Quote:>1.My question is, even after killing the outlook process
>why i still see the transaction logs building .

Perhaps the problem is in a server-based rule in that mailbox?

Quote:>2. Why I don't see any increment on the mailbox size of
>the individual ?

The log files record the changes to the database. If the same change
is being made over and over and over again the mailbox won't get any
larger, but the log files sure will!

Quote:>3. IS their any way i can find out if this user has logged
>into another desktop and running any mapi client,

Not easily.

Quote:>and finally

>Is their any way i can put a stop on bulidng of logs ?

Stop the changes to the database. Not a very satisfactory answer, but
until you know what's causing the changes you don't know what to stop.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

MSexchange 5.5 Transaction logs build up

Post by srin » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 05:16:39

Rich,
thanks for the response !
correct me if i'm wrong !
I agree on point that any changes to the database is
recorded in the transaction logs, but you will not get a
situation that a change to an exsisting page will not
include the complete change in transaction logs,, for
example i have composed an new message with an attachment
of 5mb file, i can see the changes in immdetiately
recodred in the transaction log ( i can see the increment
of log file) , but again if i do a change to this message
by just deleting the attachment i will not see a full 5mb
transation log , but it will only record the delete
record.. that way transaction log files will not be build,
but in my case transaction logs are build at a rate of 3
per minute i.e 15mb per minute...

Identifying the correct desktop is bit difficult for me ,
because of possibility that user might be connected from
any site with in  40 sites exchange sites...

i even tried knocking of mailbox permissions and also
limits, but both of them didn't work for me.

sri

Quote:>.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 05:46:49

>I agree on point that any changes to the database is
>recorded in the transaction logs, but you will not get a
>situation that a change to an exsisting page will not
>include the complete change in transaction logs,, for
>example i have composed an new message with an attachment
>of 5mb file, i can see the changes in immdetiately
>recodred in the transaction log ( i can see the increment
>of log file) , but again if i do a change to this message
>by just deleting the attachment i will not see a full 5mb
>transation log ,

That's corrct -- because the delete only changes a few bytes in the
database. The attachment isn't overwritten, it's just removed -- kinda
like having a pointer to a big block of memory. To free the memory,
just set the pointer to null (not an exact alalogy, but you get the
idea).

Now, if you were to REPLACE the attachment with another if exactly the
same size, all the bytes would be recorded in the log and the database
would get no larger.

Quote:>but it will only record the delete
>record.. that way transaction log files will not be build,

Yes, they would grow, but not by very much -- only a few bytes.

Quote:>but in my case transaction logs are build at a rate of 3
>per minute i.e 15mb per minute...

See above. And even if you were making only very small changes, making
them as fast as the computer can make them would cause the log files
to grow measurably.

Quote:>Identifying the correct desktop is bit difficult for me ,
>because of possibility that user might be connected from
>any site with in  40 sites exchange sites...

>i even tried knocking of mailbox permissions and also
>limits, but both of them didn't work for me.

If the changes aren't causing the mailbox size to grow then limiting
the size of the mailbox won't help. And if the change are mde by a
rule it's quite possible that the rule is exempt from the size limit.
:)

XADM: Meeting Requests Are Not Delivered if Recipient's Mailbox Has
Exceeded the Storage Limit and Has a Delegate Defined [217139]

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Upgrade from MSExchange 5.5 Standard version to MSExchange 5.5 Enterprise version

My Exchange server is getting close to the 16gb limit on the private
information store.  Instead of running Eseutil and removing all the junk in
the database I figure that I will just upgrade to enterprise edition.  Has
anyone done this?  I hear that that you can change one line in the registry
to upgrade from Standard to Enterprise

2. getting passwords off exchange

3. Dedicated Exchange 5.5 connector server - corrupt transaction logs

4. Exchange & ADS

5. Exchange 5.5 Transaction Logs

6. Exchange 5.5

7. Japanese build Windows won't communicate with Western build Exchange 5.5

8. I am unable to publish form to organizational library

9. Circular Logging & Transaction Logs

10. Tracking log vs Transaction log

11. LOG OF DIAL-UPS???

12. Stop MSExchange Warning log for event ID