Purging items from the Deleted Items folder

Purging items from the Deleted Items folder

Post by john goet » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

This is probably a simple question, but I can't find the answer.  I'm
running Exchange Server 5.5, and using Outlook '97 as my client.  I've set
the deleted item retention to seven days on my information store in
exchange.  However, none of the "deleted items" over seven days are deleted
from my mailbox.  I was assuming that this was an automatic process.  Is
there a process I need to run manually to delete these items?

Thanks,
John Goetz

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>This is probably a simple question, but I can't find the answer.  I'm
>running Exchange Server 5.5, and using Outlook '97 as my client.  I've set
>the deleted item retention to seven days on my information store in
>exchange.  However, none of the "deleted items" over seven days are deleted
>from my mailbox.  I was assuming that this was an automatic process.  Is
>there a process I need to run manually to delete these items?

The Deleted Item Retention period applies to items that have either
been removed from the Deleted Items folder or deleted from a folder
with the "Shift+Delete" operation.

Items in the Deleted Items folder are still in your mailbox. They are
moved there by a MAPI client when you use a simple delete operation.

Purging items from the Deleted Items folder

Post by Jeff Forres » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The deleted item retention time refers to "permanently" deleted items, i.e.
removed from your deleted items folder. Autoarchive will empty your deleted
items folder by default when it runs which sounds more like what you're
after. Try playing around with the settings for this. It's in Tools, Options
somewhere, I can't remember exactly as I'm using Outlook 98 and everything
was shifted around.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

>This is probably a simple question, but I can't find the answer.  I'm
>running Exchange Server 5.5, and using Outlook '97 as my client.  I've set
>the deleted item retention to seven days on my information store in
>exchange.  However, none of the "deleted items" over seven days are deleted
>from my mailbox.  I was assuming that this was an automatic process.  Is
>there a process I need to run manually to delete these items?

>Thanks,
>John Goetz

Purging items from the Deleted Items folder

Post by Don Baks » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Have you set your 'Tools/Options' in Outlook to 'automatically delete
deleted items on exit'? Otherwise they just stay there until you manually
delete them. After they are deleted, they will still be retained (hidden) by
the server for seven days.

>This is probably a simple question, but I can't find the answer.  I'm
>running Exchange Server 5.5, and using Outlook '97 as my client.  I've set
>the deleted item retention to seven days on my information store in
>exchange.  However, none of the "deleted items" over seven days are deleted
>from my mailbox.  I was assuming that this was an automatic process.  Is
>there a process I need to run manually to delete these items?

>Thanks,
>John Goetz

1. Recovering Deleted Items when purged from Deleted Item Recovery

Hello -

Thanks in advance.  If possible, please send a CC to my email address at

I have noticed that when a user is savy enough, they can go into Recover
Deleted Items and select the big red X to delete items from the list.  At
that point, mgmt can not get in to recover the deleted items if a user is
trying to hide abuse of the system.

Is there any way to turn off this feature or to recover the email?

Chris

2. spooler sub system

3. deleted mailbox items not transfering to deleted items folder

4. Event Scripting Log - How can I clear this?

5. Recover Deleted items not touching Deleted Items folder - Apply Everywhere

6. ok

7. Deleted Items Folder won't delete items

8. Calendar Items won't Dismiss

9. deleted mailbox items are not transferring to deleted items folder

10. Deleting items from the Deleted items folder....(hangs)

11. Recover Deleted items not touching Deleted Items folder - Apply Everywhere

12. Purging Deleted Items Folder

13. Auto-purging users Deleted Items folder