How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

Post by .D.E » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've got a user who deleted a message and attachment from exchange 4. She
wants the message back as well as the attachment. I've read through the
Microsoft Exchange disaster recovery white paper, and don't really want to
rebuild and restore everything for one message. Is there another way to get
the deleted message and attachment? I do have the backup for that day.
Suggestions?
--
Thx

D.E.
To send email, remove the "nospam" from Lignum

Post by Rich Matheis » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I've got a user who deleted a message and attachment from exchange 4. She
>wants the message back as well as the attachment. I've read through the
>Microsoft Exchange disaster recovery white paper, and don't really want to
>rebuild and restore everything for one message. Is there another way to get
>the deleted message and attachment? I do have the backup for that day.
>Suggestions?

Upgrade to Exchange 5.5 and use the Delete Item Retention feature.

With Exchange 4.0 you're stuck with the full restore and copy to a
PST.

How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

Post by .D.E » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Isn't there another way to restore from Exchange 4.0? This is going to be
at least a 2 day job.

How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

Post by Anthon » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Prior to Exchange 5.5, you must restore the entire database in order to
recover a message, once it has been completely deleted (deleted even from
the Deleted Items folder).

--
Anthony

>Isn't there another way to restore from Exchange 4.0? This is going to be
>at least a 2 day job.

How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

Post by Dere » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

How do I get information on this?

Thanks

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Isn't there another way to restore from Exchange 4.0? This is going to be
>at least a 2 day job.

No, there isn't another way.

Is the message THAT important? Can the message not be resent by the
original sender?

How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

Post by Anthon » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

The whitepaper on disaster recovery covers this scenario, as I recall.

--
Anthony

>How do I get information on this?

>Thanks

>>Prior to Exchange 5.5, you must restore the entire database in order to
>>recover a message, once it has been completely deleted (deleted even from
>>the Deleted Items folder).

>>--
>>Anthony

>>>Isn't there another way to restore from Exchange 4.0? This is going to be
>>>at least a 2 day job.

How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

Post by .D.E » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

No. As usual, the user holds onto the message with attachment for X number
of months (fill in X with a number of your choice). User thinks "I don't
need this anymore, I've had it for X months" (Again fill in X with a number
of your choice). The very next day (or within a 1 week period) The user
walks up to you and says: "Oh I deleted a message last week and I really
need it back. Can you get it back for me?" Luckily I still had the backup
tape from last week that was about to be overwritten this week!!!!

Thx for the info people. Any info on upgrading from Exchange 4 to 5.5? Is
Outlook any better than exchange 5.5? I've been looking into this as well.

Doug

How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

Post by Anthon » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00

There's a limit to how long deleted messages are kept, even in 5.5, so it
might not have helped you here.

What might help is a way of internally backcharging your user's department
for the time you wasted recovering his mail messages.

--
Anthony

>No. As usual, the user holds onto the message with attachment for X number
>of months (fill in X with a number of your choice). User thinks "I don't
>need this anymore, I've had it for X months" (Again fill in X with a number
>of your choice). The very next day (or within a 1 week period) The user
>walks up to you and says: "Oh I deleted a message last week and I really
>need it back. Can you get it back for me?" Luckily I still had the backup
>tape from last week that was about to be overwritten this week!!!!

>Thx for the info people. Any info on upgrading from Exchange 4 to 5.5? Is
>Outlook any better than exchange 5.5? I've been looking into this as well.

>Doug

How do I recover 1 deleted message & attachment?

Post by .D.E » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Well I spoke to the user again about retrieving the message, and she said
that she didn't need it anymore. Isn't that always the way? If I could have
a dollar every time...................

Thx for the help and suggestions people.

Doug

1. Deleted messages, deleted item retention time, and recovering deleted items

I'm working with Exchange 5.5 and I need to track messages within Public
Folders that have been deleted/marked for deletion by a user, but have not
been purged by the Exchange server because the Exchange Admin has configured
the Public Folder(s) with a non-zero "Deleted item retention time".  I am
working with information associated with MAPI messages that is
kept/maintained outside of Exchange and I would like to maintain that
information when the message is "deleted" but still recoverable from a
general users standpoint using "Recover Deleted Items...".  That way when
the message is recovered,  the external information is still available.
Only when the message has really been deleted/purged will the external info
be purged as well.  With an Outlook extension, I have control over the
initial "delete" process, but I haven't seen any documentation that defines
any special MAPI properties a message has when it has been deleted (and not
purged) nor have I found any information on how Outlook is able to
find/display deleted messages within the "Recover Delete Items..." Tool
option.

Using a sample program, I can open a public folder, call QueryRows to get a
message (save off the message's ENTRYID) , call GetMessageStatus to obtain
its status and then call DeleteMessages to delete the message.  With the
"Deleted item retention time" set on the test folder, I can repeatably call
GetMessageStatus on that message passing in the saved message ENTRYID and
successfully access the message.  If I then go to an Outlook client, select
"Recover Deleted Items ..." under the Tools menu I can see the deleted test
message.  If I then "Purge" the deleted message, calls to GetMessageStatus
with the saved ENTRYID now fail.  This is fine as far as detecting when a
"deleted" message is purged, but it doesn't tell me if the message has been
recovered.

Ultimately, I would like to know a message has been marked for deletion by
the presence of one or more properties within the message.  There is a
property PR_MSG_STATUS that looks like it fits the bill, but its use is
defined by a client and is not maintained by the Exchange server itself.
Calling GetMessageStatus against a deleted message does not show that the
message is marked for deletion.  I can call SetMessageStatus to set status
bits and I can successfully retrieve them with GetMessageStatus, but after
all is said and done, Exchange just passes this info along unchanged.

Another possibilty is to somehow see/detect deleted items the same way as
the Outlook "Recover Deleted Items..." Tool does.  Given a public folder, it
is somehow able to show deleted items that are in the folder.

Hopefully, the presence of a property which tells me a message has been
deleted will also tell me by its absence that the message has been restored.
Similarly, if I can see/detect deleted messages within some special MAPI
deleted items cache/table then I can tell a message has been restored by the
fact that it isn't in the cache/table.

Thanks in advance,
Keith Ingalls

2. Exchange Virus Recovery Practices???

3. System Attendant msgs are blocking the computer

4. Exchange 2K SystemMailbox Access

5. Deleting messages from Sent & Deleted Folders

6. Need to change domain name

7. recovering deleted messages

8. Recovering Deleted Messages

9. Recover deleted folder and messages (Event ID 9646)

10. Recovering deleted messages

11. Recovering Deleted Messages