Private mail

Post by Darren Hipki » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 16:43:17

Hi,

At present we have an Exchange Server 5.5...

I have set it up so that EVERYONE'S mail is also delivered to an 'Alternate
Recipient', where it is archived and printed from a dedicated computer.

However, now the Directors also want to have 'Private mail' which is not
printed and archived... any suggestions on how this could be achieved?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Darren

Private mail

Do not specify Alt Recipient for Directors?

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

Private mail

Post by Darren Hipki » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:11:31

Not quite that simple I'm afraid, the Directors want ALL mail to be archived
and printed (even for Directors)... but somehow they also want to be able to
receive their own 'private mail'.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Darren

> Do not specify Alt Recipient for Directors?

> > Hi,

> > At present we have an Exchange Server 5.5...

> > I have set it up so that EVERYONE'S mail is also delivered to an
'Alternate
> > Recipient', where it is archived and printed from a dedicated computer.

> > However, now the Directors also want to have 'Private mail' which is not
> > printed and archived... any suggestions on how this could be achieved?

> > Thank you in advance for your help.

> > Darren

> --
> Corrections are welcome.
> Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

Private mail

Post by Lucy » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:50:48

Set up another Mail account which is not sendt to the
alternate recipient.
You can work with more than one mailbox in outlook.

Lucy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>At present we have an Exchange Server 5.5...

>I have set it up so that EVERYONE'S mail is also

delivered to an 'Alternate
Quote:>Recipient', where it is archived and printed from a
dedicated computer.

>However, now the Directors also want to have 'Private
mail' which is not
>printed and archived... any suggestions on how this could
be achieved?

>Thank you in advance for your help.

>Darren

>.

Private mail

Post by ROU Velocity Governo » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:56:08

How do they distinguish 'private' mail from 'non-private' mail ?

*ALL* mail includes both private and non-private.

> Not quite that simple I'm afraid, the Directors want ALL mail to be
archived
> and printed (even for Directors)... but somehow they also want to be able
> receive their own 'private mail'.

> Any further help would be appreciated.

> Thank you

> Darren

> > Do not specify Alt Recipient for Directors?

> > > Hi,

> > > At present we have an Exchange Server 5.5...

> > > I have set it up so that EVERYONE'S mail is also delivered to an
> 'Alternate
> > > Recipient', where it is archived and printed from a dedicated
computer.

> > > However, now the Directors also want to have 'Private mail' which is
not
> > > printed and archived... any suggestions on how this could be achieved?

> > > Thank you in advance for your help.

> > > Darren

> > --
> > Corrections are welcome.
> > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > Kirill

Private mail

Post by Darren Hipki » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:31:32

I did think about the option of a second mailbox for Directors, but they
want something which is 'user friendly'... having two 'inbox', and the
problem with replying to 'Private' mail with your 'Private' reply address-
seems all too complicated for the user.

What are your views/ ideas.

Thank you for all your help guys...

Darren

Quote:> Set up another Mail account which is not sendt to the
> alternate recipient.
> You can work with more than one mailbox in outlook.

> Lucy

Private mail

Post by Angi » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:56:52

Who archives the printed mails?
*All* mails include also private mails. Are they archived
too? I suppose noone of your user sends or receives
private mails because of this reason. Everyone could read
your mails. There is no privacy in your system.
You have to think about a different solution - archiving
mails in another way for example.

Angi

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>At present we have an Exchange Server 5.5...

>I have set it up so that EVERYONE'S mail is also

delivered to an 'Alternate
Quote:>Recipient', where it is archived and printed from a
dedicated computer.

>However, now the Directors also want to have 'Private
mail' which is not
>printed and archived... any suggestions on how this could
be achieved?

>Thank you in advance for your help.

>Darren

>.

Private mail

Post by Darren Hipki » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:19:57

I am open to any suggestions, but the current archiving works very well.

Lucy was previously heading in the right direction with her posting... I am
hoping that she has further such input.

Thank you

Darren

Quote:> Who archives the printed mails?
> *All* mails include also private mails. Are they archived
> too? I suppose noone of your user sends or receives
> private mails because of this reason. Everyone could read
> your mails. There is no privacy in your system.
> You have to think about a different solution - archiving
> mails in another way for example.

> Angi

Private mail

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:49:00

Something wrong with this answer?
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=3128DFAE2448D411BC1400508B...

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

Private mail

Post by Darren Hipki » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 20:16:41

I guess I will have to look into the 'Event/ script agent' option... but I
have never implemented event scripts for Outlook/ Exchange.... I will
research it.

Thank you for your assistance.

Darren

Quote:> Something wrong with this answer?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=3128DFAE2448D411BC1400508B...
27B83%40suhner4

> > Not quite that simple I'm afraid, the Directors want ALL mail to be
archived
> > and printed (even for Directors)... but somehow they also want to be
able to
> > receive their own 'private mail'.

> > Any further help would be appreciated.

> > Thank you

> > Darren

> > > Do not specify Alt Recipient for Directors?

> > 'Alternate
computer.

achieved?

> > > --
> > > Corrections are welcome.
> > > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > > Kirill

> --
> Corrections are welcome.
> Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

Private mail

Post by ROU Velocity Governo » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:23:34

You still haven't defined what you mean by 'private' mail and how to
differentiate it from 'non private'.

Is private mail sent to a different SMTP address ?

> I guess I will have to look into the 'Event/ script agent' option... but I
> have never implemented event scripts for Outlook/ Exchange.... I will
> research it.

> Thank you for your assistance.

> Darren

> > Something wrong with this answer?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=3128DFAE2448D411BC1400508B...
> 27B83%40suhner4

> > > Not quite that simple I'm afraid, the Directors want ALL mail to be
> archived
> > > and printed (even for Directors)... but somehow they also want to be
> able to
> > > receive their own 'private mail'.

> > > Any further help would be appreciated.

> > > Thank you

> > > Darren

> > > 'Alternate
> computer.

> not
> achieved?

participate.

> > --
> > Corrections are welcome.
> > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > Kirill

Private mail

Post by Darren Hipki » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:49:40

Sorry if I have confused you.....

The situation is....

Currently e-mail is route via Exchange to each users mailbox, and I have
selected the option so that EVERYONES e-mail is also delivered to an
'Alternate Recipient'.  There is a dedicated computer on the network which
is configured to look at this 'Alternate Recipient' mailbox and the Rules on
that computer then archive and print the mail.

The Directors still want their mail archived and printed via the system....
however, they also want the facility to receive e-mail 'Privately' which is
not archived and printed.  This I cannot see a solution for.

I hope this helps a little.

Thank you for you time.

Darren

> You still haven't defined what you mean by 'private' mail and how to
> differentiate it from 'non private'.

> Is private mail sent to a different SMTP address ?

> > I guess I will have to look into the 'Event/ script agent' option... but
> > have never implemented event scripts for Outlook/ Exchange.... I will
> > research it.

> > Thank you for your assistance.

> > Darren

> > > Something wrong with this answer?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=3128DFAE2448D411BC1400508B...

> > 27B83%40suhner4

> > archived
> > able to

in

> > computer.

> is
> > not
> > achieved?

> participate.

> > > --
> > > Corrections are welcome.
> > > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > > Kirill

Private mail

Post by ROU Velocity Governo » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:27:10

Well...

the 'alternate recipient' delivery occurs *at the same time* as the mail is

going to be archived and printed.  Can't see any way round this as the
mechanism is internal to the MTA (??!)

The best solution (other than changing the method of archival) would be to
create a second mailbox for each director that does not have an alternate
recipient.  From within the directors Outlook client, add this mailbox....

Tools, Services - then select the relevant profile - Properties, Advanced,
Open these additional mailboxes.

This means that the director will have two mailboxes in his / her folder
list - one for private email, one for non-private. And two corresponding
email addresses - one for private email, one for non-private.

It doesn't come any easier than this unless you want to reconfigure your
archiving, which I guess you don't.

> Sorry if I have confused you.....

> The situation is....

> Currently e-mail is route via Exchange to each users mailbox, and I have
> selected the option so that EVERYONES e-mail is also delivered to an
> 'Alternate Recipient'.  There is a dedicated computer on the network which
> is configured to look at this 'Alternate Recipient' mailbox and the Rules
on
> that computer then archive and print the mail.

> The Directors still want their mail archived and printed via the
system....
> however, they also want the facility to receive e-mail 'Privately' which
is
> not archived and printed.  This I cannot see a solution for.

> I hope this helps a little.

> Thank you for you time.

> Darren

> > You still haven't defined what you mean by 'private' mail and how to
> > differentiate it from 'non private'.

> > Is private mail sent to a different SMTP address ?

> > > I guess I will have to look into the 'Event/ script agent' option...
but
> > > have never implemented event scripts for Outlook/ Exchange.... I will
> > > research it.

> > > Thank you for your assistance.

> > > Darren

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=3128DFAE2448D411BC1400508B...

> > > 27B83%40suhner4

> > > archived
> > > able to

> in

> > > computer.

> which
> > is
> > > not
> > > achieved?

> > participate.

participate.

Private mail

Post by Darren Hipki » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:52:05

Thank you...

I did think of the second mailbox method; but thought that it would not be
simple to allow the Directors to use two 'Reply' addresses i.e. when they
send a 'Private' message out, it will have the 'Company' Reply address.

Thank you for your input.

Darren

> Well...

> the 'alternate recipient' delivery occurs *at the same time* as the mail
is

is
> going to be archived and printed.  Can't see any way round this as the
> mechanism is internal to the MTA (??!)

> The best solution (other than changing the method of archival) would be to
> create a second mailbox for each director that does not have an alternate
> recipient.  From within the directors Outlook client, add this mailbox....

> Tools, Services - then select the relevant profile - Properties, Advanced,
> Open these additional mailboxes.

> This means that the director will have two mailboxes in his / her folder
> list - one for private email, one for non-private. And two corresponding
> email addresses - one for private email, one for non-private.

> It doesn't come any easier than this unless you want to reconfigure your
> archiving, which I guess you don't.

> > Sorry if I have confused you.....

> > The situation is....

> > Currently e-mail is route via Exchange to each users mailbox, and I have
> > selected the option so that EVERYONES e-mail is also delivered to an
> > 'Alternate Recipient'.  There is a dedicated computer on the network
which
> > is configured to look at this 'Alternate Recipient' mailbox and the
Rules
> on
> > that computer then archive and print the mail.

> > The Directors still want their mail archived and printed via the
> system....
> > however, they also want the facility to receive e-mail 'Privately' which
> is
> > not archived and printed.  This I cannot see a solution for.

> > I hope this helps a little.

> > Thank you for you time.

> > Darren

> > > You still haven't defined what you mean by 'private' mail and how to
> > > differentiate it from 'non private'.

> > > Is private mail sent to a different SMTP address ?

> but

in

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=3128DFAE2448D411BC1400508B...

> be
> be

wrote
> > in

> an

> > which
> > > is

> > > participate.

> participate.

Private mail

Post by ROU Velocity Governo » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:16:42

Yes, well, there is that.

But I have never come across a company with requirements to store printed
copies of *all* their email before :-)
That must be a lot of trees, I hope you use paper from sustainable
forests.....

It is normally sufficient to use Message Journalling !?   Message retrieval
in this case could be controlled via company policy.