Purging messages at the server console

Post by Doug Stratto » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 02:09:27

We host e-mail services for another company at our
Exchange Server. The other company is a Macintosh shop
using Outlook Express 5 (for Macintosh) as the e-mail
client.

One user, whenever he hits the Send/Receive button,
crashes OE and gets a message that a "Type 2" error has
occurred. Outgoing e-mail is transmitted successfully so
it seems there may be something (attachment or whatever)
on a piece of incoming mail that is causing this error.

I'm not the Exchange administrator, but I have to fill
in. I've found the user's mailbox and it looks like there
are six messages sitting on the server waiting for
download. My inclination is to trash the messages or
trash the user's account altogether and set up a new one
for him. The problem is, I can't figure out how to delete
the messages in a specific mailbox.

Can I do this? Or should I go with my inclination to
trash the account and create a new one for the user? If
so, how do I do that?

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

TIA,
Doug

P.S. Please send suggestions to e-mail address as well as
posting to group, please.

Purging messages at the server console

Post by Dwayn » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:15:41

down and dirty (but really easy) method of purging POP messages is to telnet
to the pop (exchange) server and use POP commands to do it.

Telnet pop3server.whatever.com 110
USER [username]
PASS [password]
LIST
DELE [msg #]

QUIT

- Dwayne

Quote:> We host e-mail services for another company at our
> Exchange Server. The other company is a Macintosh shop
> using Outlook Express 5 (for Macintosh) as the e-mail
> client.

> One user, whenever he hits the Send/Receive button,
> crashes OE and gets a message that a "Type 2" error has
> occurred. Outgoing e-mail is transmitted successfully so
> it seems there may be something (attachment or whatever)
> on a piece of incoming mail that is causing this error.

> I'm not the Exchange administrator, but I have to fill
> in. I've found the user's mailbox and it looks like there
> are six messages sitting on the server waiting for
> download. My inclination is to trash the messages or
> trash the user's account altogether and set up a new one
> for him. The problem is, I can't figure out how to delete
> the messages in a specific mailbox.

> Can I do this? Or should I go with my inclination to
> trash the account and create a new one for the user? If
> so, how do I do that?

> Any help you can offer is appreciated.

> TIA,
> Doug

> P.S. Please send suggestions to e-mail address as well as
> posting to group, please.

1. Scan Console on-Demand not working - Exchange Server 5.5

Hello all:

I am an I.T. manager whose strengths (??) are the
business/process side, not the technical side.  So, laugh
here.  In any case I have outside tech support who are
also baffled.  We are running Exchange 5.5 with McAfee
4.5.1.

We have had no problem with the scan console feature
before we upgraded our McAfee product.

Lately individual recipients receive email notification of
viruses but the administrators receive no alert.  The
email notification is also hit and miss.

The big problem is the on-demand scanning no longer
functions.  Our network engineer has tried many of the
usual strategies and is at a loss.  I have also searched
for an answer and would appreciate any help.

Thanx in advance - Kathy Miller

2. OWA

3. Purging messages in outgoing queue

4. Please help with Exhange Froms

5. How delete a server of console Exchange 2000?

6. Update dat files

7. Removing Server from Console

8. Information store will not start PLEASE HELP!

9. Removing Server from E2k Management Console

10. Mailbox cleanup/purging mail messages

11. How to load Exchange 5.5 Admin console on Server 2003

12. How I can delete/purge some messages in mail box of user

13. Disabling users from purging messages