Incoming Mail Problem

Post by Robbie Nibloc » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:48:42

Hi All

Incoming mail is generally okay, however a small handful of them are being
returned to sender, with the error message;
    MSEXH:IMS:CDE:SERVER01:SERVER01 0 (00120341) Too Many Hops.
And so I looked at technet article Q190021.
It said that if I had "Reroute incoming SMTP mail using POP3" selected, I
should remove my own domain name from the routing table.
I have two domain names in here, and they are both used equally. I know I
can not have a blank routing table so what should I have in there.

Sorry, I am only learning exchange.

Regards

Robbie

Incoming Mail Problem

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:03:05

>Incoming mail is generally okay, however a small handful of them are being
>returned to sender, with the error message;
>    MSEXH:IMS:CDE:SERVER01:SERVER01 0 (00120341) Too Many Hops.
>And so I looked at technet article Q190021.
>It said that if I had "Reroute incoming SMTP mail using POP3" selected, I
>should remove my own domain name from the routing table.
>I have two domain names in here, and they are both used equally. I know I
>can not have a blank routing table so what should I have in there.

This error is /usually/ the result of an incorrect MX record in DNS,
although it can be caused by other things, too.

If it's YOUR Exchange server that's rejecting the message, and the MX
and A records are correct for your domain(s), then the contents of the
ims "Routing" tab are suspect. You should have your domain(s) routed
as "<inbound>".

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. incoming mail problem

We have built a windows 2000 Exchange server using POPcon (by
Christensen-software)to retrieve POP3 email from the ISP. The problem
occurs when we retrieve mail from the ISP, mail appears to be forwarded

We have set up a domain called companyname.co.uk with a prewindows 2000
domain of companyname.

A non-delivery is returned to all senders whilst some receipients
receive the mail and others don't.

Can anyone please advise why companyname.co.uk is appearing before the
username.

Mark

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. front and back end server

3. Incoming mail problem

4. MTA fails to start up Help Urgent!

5. Rules on folders other than the inbox

6. Incoming Mail Problems

7. Optimizer the Server

8. Remote site incoming mail problem

9. Incoming mail problem