Replace old exchange server

Post by Jiang Che » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I plan to add a new server to our current Exchange site. My ultimate goal is
to replace the old server with the new one. I will have both servers
co-exist for several days and then shut down the old server. I understand
co-exist servers in a same site will have replications. Does this mean I
don't have to make any copy of Priv.edb, Pub.edb and Dir. edb to the new
server?

Replace old exchange server

Post by Ben Smit » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

See  http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Ben Smith, MCSE

Quote:> I plan to add a new server to our current Exchange site. My ultimate goal
is
> to replace the old server with the new one. I will have both servers
> co-exist for several days and then shut down the old server. I understand
> co-exist servers in a same site will have replications. Does this mean I
> don't have to make any copy of Priv.edb, Pub.edb and Dir. edb to the new
> server?

Replace old exchange server

Post by David Sapery [MVP » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

If you move the mailboxes and the PF's to the new server, you don't have to
touch the EDB's on the old server.

David
______________________________
David Sapery
MVP, MCSE+I, MCT

ICQ: #17104003 (http://www.icq.com)

Quote:> I plan to add a new server to our current Exchange site. My ultimate goal
is
> to replace the old server with the new one. I will have both servers
> co-exist for several days and then shut down the old server. I understand
> co-exist servers in a same site will have replications. Does this mean I
> don't have to make any copy of Priv.edb, Pub.edb and Dir. edb to the new
> server?

1. Replacing Old Exchange Servers With New Exchange Servers

We are currently in the process of swapping our old Exchange hardware and
putting in new servers. We make a backup of our Priv.EDB and Pub.EDB
nightly. What is the best course of action for putting in new Servers? One
suggestion is to install NT Server and Exchange on the new boxes and restore
the Priv.Edb, Pub.EDB and the Registry from the old machines. We also want
to keep the existing names.  Is this recommended? Are there any concerns or
issues I should consider first before I begin this task? I would appreciate
anyone's advice on how to go about this project. I would also greatly
appreciate any other approaches to this task.

2. exchange 2000 SP2 setup failed with error

3. Replacing old Exchange Server with a New Server

4. exchange performance

5. Replace old exchange server to new one

6. How can I ask CDO use another SMTP instead of using Windows2000 SMTP virtual server?

7. Need help replacing old exchange server.

8. Exchange not sending NDRs

9. Replace old exchange-server

10. Replacing old Exchange servers with new ones

11. Replacing Old Exchange server

12. Replacing old Exchange Server

13. Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server