OK, this is weird..5 domains hosted?

Post by BJ » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:29:24

Currently, we have one SMTP virtual server with one domain:  mycompany.com

However,  we acquired 4 more companies and want to have certain lists as

it is because we have mail relay turned on right now.  Is this the right way
to do this?  Somewhere I read that multiple SMTP virtual servers is a good
idea, especially if we are moving to OWA with a FE/BE server config through
a firewall.  Any suggestions? Sorry for the newbie questions!!

BJ

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 00:31:00

>Currently, we have one SMTP virtual server with one domain:  mycompany.com

>However,  we acquired 4 more companies and want to have certain lists as

>it is because we have mail relay turned on right now.  Is this the right way
>to do this?  Somewhere I read that multiple SMTP virtual servers is a good
>idea, especially if we are moving to OWA with a FE/BE server config through
>a firewall.  Any suggestions? Sorry for the newbie questions!!

All that's needed is to have those additional domain in a recipient
policy. The LDAP filter on the policy can be left empty if you want to
assign the addresses to the mailboxes yourself, or you can construct a
filter that uses a property with a unique value to selectively apply
the policy (e.g. use the "Company" property).

Multiple SMTP virtual servers aren't necessary, and more than one SMTP
Connector isn't needed is all your outbound mail is handled in the
same way.

Multiple HTTP Virtual Servers are necessary only if the people that
use OWA don't have a common domain name in their SMTp addresses. If
everyone has the "company.com" domain (even as a secondary SMTP proxy
address) then only one HTTP VS is required.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

OK, this is weird..5 domains hosted?

Post by BJ » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:01:53

Gracias Rich!!  You are  (always) DA MAAANN!! I do have a big question for
you that I have been struggling with for awhile and no one has a clue.
Maybe you do?  I have an EXCH2K server with domain:

I have an outside hoster providing email for:

(do not ask, long story!).

Anyway, when we send email to:

it obviously does not send it outside to the proper hosting service.  It
keeps it internal because it sees "mydomain.com" on it and thinks it is
internal.  Any help here would be appreciated...especially if you have
specific steps.

Now THIS is a challenge!!

BJ

> >Currently, we have one SMTP virtual server with one domain:
mycompany.com

> >However,  we acquired 4 more companies and want to have certain lists as

think

Post by Mark Fugat » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:12:15

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q319759

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

> Gracias Rich!!  You are  (always) DA MAAANN!! I do have a big question for
> you that I have been struggling with for awhile and no one has a clue.
> Maybe you do?  I have an EXCH2K server with domain:

> I have an outside hoster providing email for:

> (do not ask, long story!).

> Anyway, when we send email to:

> it obviously does not send it outside to the proper hosting service.  It
> keeps it internal because it sees "mydomain.com" on it and thinks it is
> internal.  Any help here would be appreciated...especially if you have
> specific steps.

> Now THIS is a challenge!!

> BJ

> > >Currently, we have one SMTP virtual server with one domain:
> mycompany.com

> > >However,  we acquired 4 more companies and want to have certain lists
as

> think
> > >it is because we have mail relay turned on right now.  Is this the
right
> way
> > >to do this?  Somewhere I read that multiple SMTP virtual servers is a
> good
> > >idea, especially if we are moving to OWA with a FE/BE server config
> through
> > >a firewall.  Any suggestions? Sorry for the newbie questions!!

> > All that's needed is to have those additional domain in a recipient
> > policy. The LDAP filter on the policy can be left empty if you want to
> > assign the addresses to the mailboxes yourself, or you can construct a
> > filter that uses a property with a unique value to selectively apply
> > the policy (e.g. use the "Company" property).

> > Multiple SMTP virtual servers aren't necessary, and more than one SMTP
> > Connector isn't needed is all your outbound mail is handled in the
> > same way.

> > Multiple HTTP Virtual Servers are necessary only if the people that
> > use OWA don't have a common domain name in their SMTp addresses. If
> > everyone has the "company.com" domain (even as a secondary SMTP proxy
> > address) then only one HTTP VS is required.

> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

OK, this is weird..5 domains hosted?

Post by BJ » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 07:26:59

GEEZUS!! YOU GUYS ARE WORHT YOUR WEIGHT IN GOLD!!

BJ

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:44:55

>Gracias Rich!!  You are  (always) DA MAAANN!! I do have a big question for
>you that I have been struggling with for awhile and no one has a clue.
>Maybe you do?  I have an EXCH2K server with domain:

>I have an outside hoster providing email for:

>(do not ask, long story!).

>Anyway, when we send email to:

>it obviously does not send it outside to the proper hosting service.  It
>keeps it internal because it sees "mydomain.com" on it and thinks it is
>internal.  Any help here would be appreciated...especially if you have
>specific steps.

>Now THIS is a challenge!!

Actually, the two domains are distinct. If there's a MX, A, or CNAME
record in DNS for "oldfriends.mydomain.com" then the mail should be
delivered there -- unless you have that domain in a Recipient Policy.
There shouldn't be any confusion between the two, even though one is a
sub-domain of the other.

If you're sharing a SMTP address space there are ways to fiddle with
the recipient policies and AMTP connectors to make E2K deliver
messages to the right server.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

OK, this is weird..5 domains hosted?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:55:48

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>Actually, the two domains are distinct. If there's a MX, A, or CNAME
>record in DNS for "oldfriends.mydomain.com" then the mail should be
>delivered there -- unless you have that domain in a Recipient Policy.

                              ^

                            DON'T

What a difference a word makes!

--