Permissions to Change Permissions

Post by Roneil Icata » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 02:00:23

Currently, my Help Desk group has Exchange Read Only permissions, which
gives them the ability to manage mailboxes.  They now require the ability to
give another user the ability to access someone else's mailbox (for
instance, an assistant needs access to the boss' mailbox).  When the Help
Desk person tries to grant mailbox permissions to the mailbox, they get a
"Catastrophic Failure" error since they don't have permissions to grant
permissions.

What permissions do I need to grant to the Help Desk so that they can
perform this task?  Thanks.

Permissions to Change Permissions

Post by Ron Stewar » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 04:05:27

You'd have to make the help desk into Exchange Full Administrators, which
kind of gives away the keys to the kingdom.

A better method might be to help the users use Outlook's delegation feature
(Tools, Options, Delegates tab) to set up access for another user.

Ron Stewart
triOS Training Centres
Ontario, Canada

Quote:> Currently, my Help Desk group has Exchange Read Only permissions, which
> gives them the ability to manage mailboxes.  They now require the ability
> give another user the ability to access someone else's mailbox (for
> instance, an assistant needs access to the boss' mailbox).  When the Help
> Desk person tries to grant mailbox permissions to the mailbox, they get a
> "Catastrophic Failure" error since they don't have permissions to grant
> permissions.

> What permissions do I need to grant to the Help Desk so that they can
> perform this task?  Thanks.

1. Folder Permissions versus Attachment Permissions

We have a recurring problem in our Exchange Public Folders:

We have given users the rights to read and add emails to a particular Public
Folder, but not to delete or modify anything.

A user puts in a bunch of emails in said Public Folder, and they come back
later to find that they can not open the emails that have attachments.  It
appears that attachments may have different permissions than the folder /
email themselves.

Adding to the dilemma is that the problem appears to clear itself up over
time.

Has anyone else run into this?  What solutions have you found?

Thank you.

Johnmichael Monteith
Parker Smith & Feek, Inc.

2. Problem with 2 email servers in same domain - HELP!!

3. permission admin cannot modify permissions on public folders

4. MS Exchange Routing Engine problem

5. MAPI permissions -v- Win2000 permissions

6. creating public folders

7. Changing Exchange Mailbox Permissions

8. How do I browse mailboxes?

9. Exchange 5.5 - Using CDO to change folder permissions.

10. Changing permissions on multiple exchange 5.5 accounts.

11. Permissions problem after changing owner property

12. Changing permissions in public folders

13. Programmatically Changing Org Forms Library Permission Set