Archive mail - deleting

Post by Vinc » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Please forgive my ignorance on Exchange subjects, alas, BackOffice Small
business Server gives people like me access to some heavy duty SW!

In Exchange 5.0 I have the option to store/archive mail. This works great
and has proved VERY useful but it is getting rather large! I would like to
delete these out of the  \EXCHSRVR\IMCDATA\IN\ARCHIVE and the
\EXCHSRVR\IMCDATA\OUT\ARCHIVE
folders.

Am I okay to do this or am liable to cause problems?
How do these folders interact with the DS and IS backups?

Thanks for any help on this!!

Regards,

Vince

Archive mail - deleting

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Please forgive my ignorance on Exchange subjects, alas, BackOffice Small
>business Server gives people like me access to some heavy duty SW!

>In Exchange 5.0 I have the option to store/archive mail. This works great
>and has proved VERY useful but it is getting rather large! I would like to
>delete these out of the  \EXCHSRVR\IMCDATA\IN\ARCHIVE and the
>\EXCHSRVR\IMCDATA\OUT\ARCHIVE
>folders.

>Am I okay to do this or am liable to cause problems?

You can delete them without causing any problems. The IMS creates them
because you asked it to, but it never again refers to them.

Quote:>How do these folders interact with the DS and IS backups?

They don't. If you want them backed up it's up to you to perform the
backup.

Archive mail - deleting

Post by Stuart Nutta » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Richard,

Quote:>>In Exchange 5.0 I have the option to store/archive mail. This works great
>>and has proved VERY useful but it is getting rather large! I would like to
>>delete these out of the  \EXCHSRVR\IMCDATA\IN\ARCHIVE and the
>>\EXCHSRVR\IMCDATA\OUT\ARCHIVE folders.

>You can delete them without causing any problems. The IMS creates them
>because you asked it to, but it never again refers to them.

>>How do these folders interact with the DS and IS backups?

>They don't. If you want them backed up it's up to you to perform the
>backup.

(I'm using Exchange Server 5.5, sp1)

So it would be fair to say I can't use the files in .\in\archive and
\out\archive to recreate messages in message stores?  We need to keep a
copy of all messages that are sent and received into our Exchange Server for
audit etc. purposes, and I assumed that the best way would be to do it via
these files.

Ultimately what I'd be looking for is the ability to 'resend' messages via
the command line whereby I can specify a file or directory to resend and the
messages are sent to the appropriate public/private message stores by the
MTA.

I could just copy messages when they come in, but this would be the
equivilent of duplicating each message, which would be a terrible waste of
disk space.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts,

Stuart

1. Cannot Delete E-mails in Delete Mail Box

Using Exchange 5.5, reformatted my drives and used XMERGE to copy all mailbaoxes
back to system.  The problem is when a user has amased serveral e-mail in thier
delete bin, and when they exit Outlook, the message is are you sure you want to
Delete all message in you Delete file, by answering yes.  The server attempts to
delete those e-mails.  This runs for several minutes and then stops responding.
The e-mails are not deleted from their folders.

This also happens when trying to copy group od e-mails from one folder to
another, it attempts the command then stops responding.

Has anyone had this happen and what is the fix for this?

Thanks

2. ICON on a view column

3. Server Side Auto Archive/delete

4. Distribution Lists

5. Deleting Archives

6. using admin.exe

7. Is it safe to delete archives?

8. How to block email sent to a certain address?

9. Deleting internet archives files

10. Deleting Exchange 5.5 archive with messages without consequences?

11. Deleting Archive files

12. Auto Archive or Delete Older Than.....

13. After moving mailboxes, can no longer archive or delete