Adding/Installing RAS on Win NT Server v4.0

Adding/Installing RAS on Win NT Server v4.0

Post by James Wiersu » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to connect two Microsoft Exchange servers via a modem
connection.

After reading the setup I started to add the MTA Transport stack (File >
New Other > MTA Transport stack.

When I click OK on the RAS MTA Transport Stack I get the following
error:

Remote Access Service (RAS) does not appear
to be installed on this server.  Before RAS
MTA transport stack can be installed RAS
network software must be installed and
configured on the Microsoft Exchange server
computer you will user for RAS message transport.

I tried going to the Services control panel option but RAS is not
listed.

When I run Remote Access Admin under Administrative Tools it says,
"Remote Access Service is not started on the selected server".  When I
click Server > Start Remote Access Service, it prompts me for the Server
name which I enter.  After that I get this error message:

Error starting Remote Access Sever Service on (my server name)
Check the Event log on (my server name) for details

Error 2185: The service name is invalid.

I checked the event log but nothing related to RAS or any other service
is listed.  In fact, I don't have an entry in the event log for the last
2 weeks.

Thanks for any help,
        -James
--
Remove .removethis to email me.

Adding/Installing RAS on Win NT Server v4.0

Post by Ray Sundstro » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

James,

It sounds a bit like Remote Access Services are not installed on the
Exchange server.  RAS can be installed from Control Panel/Network/Services
Add...  The dialog that follows will allow you to select and install RAS.

Regards,

--
Ray Sundstrom
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Quote:>I am trying to connect two Microsoft Exchange servers via a modem
>connection.

>After reading the setup I started to add the MTA Transport stack (File >
>New Other > MTA Transport stack.

>When I click OK on the RAS MTA Transport Stack I get the following
>error:

>Remote Access Service (RAS) does not appear
>to be installed on this server.  Before RAS
>MTA transport stack can be installed RAS
>network software must be installed and
>configured on the Microsoft Exchange server
>computer you will user for RAS message transport.

>I tried going to the Services control panel option but RAS is not
>listed.

>When I run Remote Access Admin under Administrative Tools it says,
>"Remote Access Service is not started on the selected server".  When I
>click Server > Start Remote Access Service, it prompts me for the Server
>name which I enter.  After that I get this error message:

>Error starting Remote Access Sever Service on (my server name)
>Check the Event log on (my server name) for details

>Error 2185: The service name is invalid.

>I checked the event log but nothing related to RAS or any other service
>is listed.  In fact, I don't have an entry in the event log for the last
>2 weeks.

>Thanks for any help,
> -James
>--
>Remove .removethis to email me.

Adding/Installing RAS on Win NT Server v4.0

Post by James Wiersu » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Thanks.  Nowhere in the "on-line help" does it tell you how to install
RAS.

Post by Rich Matheis » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Thanks.  Nowhere in the "on-line help" does it tell you how to install
>RAS.

In the Exchange on-line help? I wouldn't expext to find it there --
networking is a NT function.

Adding/Installing RAS on Win NT Server v4.0

Post by _ » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

James,

    You'll have to install RAS under NT before you install the MTA
transport.

Good luck,

Eric

1. Adding/Installing RAS on Win NT Server v4.0

[...]

2. Help with Date and Time Math in EXCEL

3. Can I setup Exchange server v5.0 RC1 on BDC of NT Server V4.0

4. manual start/stop exchange 2000 services with batch file

5. Backup for Win NT 4.0 on Win 2000 Server

6. Routing SMTP mail

7. Renaming Exchange v4 Server Windows NT Machine Name

8. Exchange 2000 general DOs and DONTs

9. IMS won't install-get NT error message

10. Win NT take 10 to 15 minutes to shut down after install EXCHANGE 5.5

11. Win NT takes 10 to 15 minutes to shut down after install EXCHANGE 5.5

12. Win 2000 server - RAS phone book entry not found (Internet mail service)