Global vs Universal mail-enabled security groups

Global vs Universal mail-enabled security groups

Post by bruc » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:59:08

We've got a multi-site, single domain AD. The company has gone from 0 - 250
users at 12 sites in 3 yrs. Our AD has become quite cluttered/disorganized
& we're looking to simplify.

Right now we have some distribution groups & some security groups. Some are
universal & some are global.

I like to consolidate most groups into mail-enabled security groups,
rolling up into a few, larger distribution groups for some of the Email
lists like Everyone.

It seems from a performance point of view, it would be better to make the
the groups Global. What are the trade-offs of using Global instead of
Universal? I know there is a little warning when you mail enable a Global
group that you better know what you are doing. Can anyone point me to some
explanation on this? TIA

Post by MV » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 05:23:54

>We've got a multi-site, single domain AD. The company has gone from 0 - 250
>users at 12 sites in 3 yrs. Our AD has become quite cluttered/disorganized
>& we're looking to simplify.

>Right now we have some distribution groups & some security groups. Some are
>universal & some are global.

>I like to consolidate most groups into mail-enabled security groups,
>rolling up into a few, larger distribution groups for some of the Email
>lists like Everyone.

>It seems from a performance point of view, it would be better to make the
>the groups Global. What are the trade-offs of using Global instead of
>Universal? I know there is a little warning when you mail enable a Global
>group that you better know what you are doing. Can anyone point me to some
>explanation on this? TIA

If you've got a single domain model you don't really need Universal
Groups.

1. Moving Universal Distribution and Universal Security groups from transition domain

Hi,

During our migration from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 we create a
temporary native mode child domain used to hold distribution lists
until we could switch the parent to native mode.  We have now switched
to native mode in both Exchange and Active Directory.  The time has
come when we want to move all the USGs and UDGs  to the parent domain.
 When this is done, I do of course want to keep permissions given to
Outlook folders (like calendar), public folders and group memberships.

I've searched around and movetree or the Active Directory Migration
Tool look promising but wondered if anybody else has actually tried to
do this?  If so, what did you use and how did it go?

Any help appreciated.

Andy

2. Exchange license question

3. I need help with MBMRIGATE

4. Universal Group, Mail Enabled receiving junk mail

5. Event Sink

6. Mail enabled universal group

7. Most recently used folders

8. Mail Enabled Universal Distribution Group not distributing????

9. ADC and Universal security groups

10. Universal Security Groups and Public folders not working

11. Viewing Mail-enabled Security Groups