Security Problems with Outlook Web Access

Security Problems with Outlook Web Access

Post by Edward Burge » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am running Windows NT Sp4 with Exchange Server 5.5 SP2.  I have a problem
with the Web Access component where only users with Administrator rights can
logon to the http://www.domain.com/exchange/default.htm  page and get their
mail.  The other users (non-admins) get a '401.3 Unauthorized: Unauthorized
due to ACL on resource' error.  I have granted the Everyone group the Log on
Locally right
but same problem.  Is there another folder I need to grant the users group
rights to?  Please Help!

Thank You.

Edward

Post by Rich Matheis » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I am running Windows NT Sp4 with Exchange Server 5.5 SP2.  I have a problem
>with the Web Access component where only users with Administrator rights can
>logon to the http://www.domain.com/exchange/default.htm  page and get their
>mail.  The other users (non-admins) get a '401.3 Unauthorized: Unauthorized
>due to ACL on resource' error.  I have granted the Everyone group the Log on
>Locally right
>but same problem.  Is there another folder I need to grant the users group
>rights to?  Please Help!

The reference to the ACL seems to imply that the "Webdata" and
"Webtemp" directories may at fault.

A useful tool for debugging these things is the file monitor tool
(filemon) available at www.sysinternals.com. It will show you what
files are accessed.

Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Security Problems with Outlook Web Access

Post by Greg Aske » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

For starters:

\WINNT
\WINNT\SYSTEM32
\WINNT\SYSTEM32\INETSRV
\EXCHSRVR\BIN
\EXCHSRVR\WEBDATA

--
Greg Askew

--

>I am running Windows NT Sp4 with Exchange Server 5.5 SP2.  I have a problem
>with the Web Access component where only users with Administrator rights can
>logon to the http://www.domain.com/exchange/default.htm  page and get their
>mail.  The other users (non-admins) get a '401.3 Unauthorized: Unauthorized
>due to ACL on resource' error.  I have granted the Everyone group the Log on
>Locally right
>but same problem.  Is there another folder I need to grant the users group
>rights to?  Please Help!

>Thank You.

>Edward

Security Problems with Outlook Web Access

Post by Andrew Will » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Not long ago someone mentioned this KB article contained information
regarding needed rights for OWA.  Maybe it will help.

Q175892

--
Andrew Willy

>I am running Windows NT Sp4 with Exchange Server 5.5 SP2.  I have a problem
>with the Web Access component where only users with Administrator rights
can
>logon to the http://www.domain.com/exchange/default.htm  page and get their
>mail.  The other users (non-admins) get a '401.3 Unauthorized: Unauthorized
>due to ACL on resource' error.  I have granted the Everyone group the Log
on
>Locally right
>but same problem.  Is there another folder I need to grant the users group
>rights to?  Please Help!

>Thank You.

>Edward

Security Problems with Outlook Web Access

Post by Mark Bergerse » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have seen this error when the users account has not been added to the
local users group on the exchange server where the users mailbox is
configured.

If you are using accounts from a trust where the exchange servers are setup
in a resource domain you might need to add the master account domain users
global group to the local users group of the exchange server assuming all
users in the master account domain are also members of domain users in the
master account domain.

-Mark

1. Security Problems with Outlook Web Access

I am running Windows NT Sp4 with Exchange Server 5.5 SP2.  I have a problem
with the Web Access component where only users with Administrator rights can
logon to the http://www.domain.com/exchange/default.htm  page and get their
mail.  The other users (non-admins) get a '401.3 Unauthorized: Unauthorized
due to ACL on resource' error.  I have granted the Everyone group the Log on
Locally right
but same problem.  Is there another folder I need to grant the users group
rights to?  Please Help!

Thank You.

Edward

2. outlook 2000 does not connect to exchange from home! - HELP!

3. Attachments not arriving

4. Outlook Web Access security problems?

5. Database size

6. Outlook Web Access Security problem

7. Lotus Organizer 2.1 Addresses

8. Outlook Web Access security problems?

9. Outlook Web Access Security problem

10. Outlook Web Access Security Concern Need help with IIS

11. Outlook Web Access not working after Security update

12. HELP!!! Security glitch in Outlook Web Access