Exchange Service Account

Post by Felipe Alonso Olmo » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Id like to know if it is possible to change the password for the
exchange services account. I changed it in the "User Manager" and in the
"services" but it doesnt work.

Thanks in advance.
Felipe Olmos.

Exchange Service Account

Post by Greg Aske » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Have a look at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q157/7/80.asp
--
Greg Askew

> Id like to know if it is possible to change the password for the
> exchange services account. I changed it in the "User Manager" and in the
> "services" but it doesnt work.

> Thanks in advance.
> Felipe Olmos.

Exchange Service Account

Post by Petter Takolande » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Yes, of course you should be able to change the password. Try this;

* Change the password in User Manager for Domains
* Synchronize all of the domain controllers from Server Manager
* Change the password on all of your Exchange servers in your site from the
Admin program. Open up the Configuration Container and on the Service
Account Password tab, assign the new password. This will save you a lot of
time. Otherwise you'd have to go through every single Exchange service (on
all Exchange Severs) in the control panel.

Petter Takolander
Cornerstone Sweden AB
MCT/MCSE

Quote:>Id like to know if it is possible to change the password for the
>exchange services account. I changed it in the "User Manager" and in the
>"services" but it doesnt work.

>Thanks in advance.
>Felipe Olmos.

Exchange Service Account

Post by Carte » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the exchange service account?
I have looked everywhere on the microsoft web site and on technet, but
can't find anything on this subject. Thanks.

Carter Combs

Exchange Service Account

Post by Rich Matheis » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Does anyone know if there is a way to change the exchange service account?
>I have looked everywhere on the microsoft web site and on technet, but
>can't find anything on this subject. Thanks.

You need to look harder!

Try this MS KB article:
Q151777 "XADM: How to Move a Microsoft Exchange Server to a New
Domain"

Understand that it is NOT complete. There are permissions on shares
that need adjustment and possibly Registry ACL's that require
adjustment to take into account the new service account.

Exchange Service Account

Post by Anthon » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

You must reinstall Exchange to change the service account.

--
Anthony

>Does anyone know if there is a way to change the exchange service account?
>I have looked everywhere on the microsoft web site and on technet, but
>can't find anything on this subject. Thanks.

>Carter Combs

Exchange Service Account

Post by SURAJ_SESHADR » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi

Go to the  Properties  of the " Configuration Container " in your site
and change the password there.  Then change the password in the user
manager.

> ----------

> Posted At:         Wednesday, June 10, 1998 2:29 PM
> Posted To:         microsoft.public.exchange.admin
> Conversation:      Exchange Service Account
> Subject:   Re: Exchange Service Account

> You must reinstall Exchange to change the service account.

> --
> Anthony

> >Does anyone know if there is a way to change the exchange service
> account?
> >I have looked everywhere on the microsoft web site and on technet,
> but
> >can't find anything on this subject. Thanks.

> >Carter Combs

Exchange Service Account

Post by Anthon » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

That changes the password.  It doesn't change the identity of the account
itself, which requires a reinstallation of the product (and apparently was
the subject of the original question).

--
Anthony

>Hi

>Go to the  Properties  of the " Configuration Container " in your site
>and change the password there.  Then change the password in the user
>manager.

>> ----------

>> Posted At: Wednesday, June 10, 1998 2:29 PM
>> Posted To: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>> Conversation: Exchange Service Account
>> Subject: Re: Exchange Service Account

>> You must reinstall Exchange to change the service account.

>> --
>> Anthony

>> >Does anyone know if there is a way to change the exchange service
>> account?
>> >I have looked everywhere on the microsoft web site and on technet,
>> but
>> >can't find anything on this subject. Thanks.

>> >Carter Combs

Exchange Service Account

Post by Bria » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Why would you want to reinstall the Exchange Server to change the Service
account??? Why can't you go to Services and  change the Service account...
Tell me if I am missing anything...

Brian

>That changes the password.  It doesn't change the identity of the account
>itself, which requires a reinstallation of the product (and apparently was
>the subject of the original question).

>--
>Anthony

>>Hi

>>Go to the  Properties  of the " Configuration Container " in your site
>>and change the password there.  Then change the password in the user
>>manager.

>>> ----------

>>> Posted At: Wednesday, June 10, 1998 2:29 PM
>>> Posted To: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>>> Conversation: Exchange Service Account
>>> Subject: Re: Exchange Service Account

>>> You must reinstall Exchange to change the service account.

>>> --
>>> Anthony

>>> account?
>>> but

Exchange Service Account

Post by Rich Matheis » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Why would you want to reinstall the Exchange Server to change the Service
>account??? Why can't you go to Services and  change the Service account...
>Tell me if I am missing anything...

You're missing a lot!

This MS KB article give you *most* of the steps necessary to change
the service account -- in a single server site:
Q151777 "XADM: How to Move a Microsoft Exchange Server to a New
Domain"

There's no mention of altering the permissions on any of the shares
Exchange creates or the ACL's on any of the registry keys in this KB
article, so be careful!

Exchange Service Account

Post by Support Exchange1 SrwaniHQP » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Experienced before on changing the Exchange Service Account. All the
Exchange services cannot be started. I have to reinstall again. There
are a lot of errors in the Event Viewer.

Thanks and Regards,

Ng Chin Han
Support Exchange1 SrwaniHQPg

Office Tel : 04-2628535 ext 5011

1. Exchange Service Account to access user calendars

I have a question about using the Exchange Service Account.  We are using
Exchange 5.5, CDO 1.21, and Outlook 2000 (also maybe Outlook 98 and Outlook
97)

First, let me explain the functionality we are adding to our web-based app.
Our app has basic task management and appointment scheduling facilities.  We
would like to add these items to the Calendar and/or Task List to better
support this functionality.

From a VB middle-tier object we log on a session for the particular profile
(the profile of the current user of our application) and add the items to
their Calendar or Task list.    The security context that the VB object runs
under must have access to the calendar and task list to do this.  I have
been testing this functionality running under the Exchange Service Account
and everything works great.   I can only seem to determine two chooses as
far as security context.  First, use the Exchange Service Account. Is this
considered bad form or something to avoid?  I am not sure if the auditor
would like this?  The second is granting an normal ID access to the calendar
and task list.  This seems to be the better way to go. However, we have 3500
users and it would be a nightmare to have the end-users set this, BUT I
could not find a way to do this at the server through the admin tools.  I
found some custom code using VB and CDO to do this but that seems too
cumbersome.

The bottom-line is: Would it be bad to run my MTS package (with my VB object
that accesses Exchange inside) run under the Exchange Service Account?...OR
Is there an easy way through the Admin tools to grant access to the calendar
and task list for a many different users?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.  If I am off in the weeds on my
approach, please let me know.

Thanks,
Gary Bailey, MSCD
Oakwood Systems Group

2. Spec for exchange 5.5

3. Exchange Service Account

4. Error code 0XC1030B11

5. Exchange 2003 on .net server install problems

6. Changing Exchange Service Account

7. Word, Excel attachments corrupt in Lotus Notes

8. Exchange service account keeps getting locked out

9. exchange service account

10. Exchange Service Account

11. Changing Exchange Service Account - nt-security-descriptor?

12. exchange service account